Virre Linwendil Annergård
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
Forza Bajen!
badge
... and still sober
mbmbmbmbmb
At least I took my time to invest in Carcassonne last friday. Sadly there was no time to test the game that day as we had 16 magic bosters to open each. Now Saturday came at my girlfriends parents house, and they made the north Swedish food known as palt (and even in a Vegan variant for my girlfriend and me). Now this food is quite special, and was not my style of thing. And you lost all will of eating more things after that one. But we also get to setup for Carcasonne after dinner, first of was reading the rules. I had got the German version put also printed Swedish rules (which kind of needed some work), so we read it through and started the game with Me, Kata (GF) and Barbara (GF Mother).
Now this was quite a beginners game as Barbara had to be updated on the rules as we went along. Building Towns and roads made it quite intresting, but in the end it was the Farmers that made Barbara the winner with 59 points whilest we trailed after.

Now we set up for a second game that also involved Jan (GF Father), and this added something to the play, even though he also hadn't grasped the rules, and made a verry annoying misstake for many of us when he placed a tile open to try to cut a big city up. But that kind of tile isn't avalible in the game so we ended up with what looked like a giant city if not for one open tile. This time it was the cloisters that was quite important and espacally the farmers as Jan went ahead with 1 point before Kata at this time.

We enoyed the game quite well and did some games just Kata and me later on, to say about those aren't much as I kept losing. But im looking forward to the next time we play and the expansions.

On thing though, we removed one tile when players had uneven numbers of tiles and let persons place on the starting tile. Is this a good or a bad idea?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Harper
Germany
Magdeburg
Thuringia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
virre wrote:
…we removed one tile when players had uneven numbers of tiles and let persons place on the starting tile. Is this a good or a bad idea?

It's not a bad idea to even out the tiles, since it means that everyone gets the same number of turns. But it becomes less relevant when you use the builder, because then there is no way to know how many tiles each player will draw…

On the other hand, allowing players to deploy followers to the starting tile is probably a bad idea, since it gives the first player an unfair advantage. And the starting tile (or tiles) are supposed to be placed before play starts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Wolff
United States
poulsbo
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played many dozens of Carcassonne games with many different numbers of players and I've never seen any advantage to going first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.