Subject: Looking for a good ww2 game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
pat sinks
United States
Wheaton
Illinois
flag msg tools
Ok I am looking for a very complex/advanced ww2 war game. I have AA:RE, and I want more. I only just today realized how many wargames there really are, I only thought there was a few and it turns out there are hundreds, so I am pretty much overwhelmed. I have been looking at Advanced squad leader, but it looks like it will cost me over a hundred bucks just to get a game going. So someone please help me out, and point me to the good wargames. Other era's are welcome to, like Civil war, or whatever.
Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey D Myers
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
"Always rely upon a happy mind alone." Geshe Chekhawa.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
See http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist.php3?action=view&listi....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L Myrick
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you think ASL may be your bag, but don't want to dive in and buy the whole thing right away, begin with the ASL Starter Kit #1. Only about $25 bucks and everything you need to play is right in the box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Mahaffey
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
GAME ARTIST
badge
GAME ARTIST
mbmbmbmbmb
ASL may feel cramped after playing on the world stage. There are several fan-made expansions for A&A that vastly enlarge the playing field and detail of that game. There is also "Advanced Third Reich" which combines with "Empire of the Rising Sun" to cover the whole war. And to dive into the Civil War, nothing beats Joe Baloski's Great Campaigns of the American Civil War (GCACW) series.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miikka Rytty
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
patio87 wrote:

Ok I am looking for a very complex/advanced ww2 war game.
Thanks

How complex do you want the game to be? If you really want really a very complex game, here are my recommandations.

ASL is probable your best bet if you want your scale to be tactical. Starter Kits are good starting poits, but they are not very complex. I haven't played full ASL, but I like ASL #1.

If you want operational, my favorite is OCS by The Gamers. Their game Tunisia is still available and has a reasonable price. DAK2 uses the newest ruleset but is more expensive. I like OCS very, very much.

EastFront by ColumbiaGames is a good look at the whole eastern front. It is chep, but not very complex. Europe Engulfed by GMT is more expensive, a little more complex and covers the whole European Theater. EastFront is an excellent game.

A World at War (also by GMTgames) is probably at the same complexity level as ASL /maybe a tad lower), but it covers the whole war. It is expensive, but it is probably the only game you need, if you want a complex game covering the whole war. I haven't played A World at War, but I'm under the impression that it is a very good game and it seems to be super complex.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmb
I know it's the Russian Relvolution and not WWII , but I am itching to try Triumph of Chaos. Man what a pretty game!

meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pat sinks
United States
Wheaton
Illinois
flag msg tools
fauxia wrote:
[q="patio87"]

A World at War (also by GMTgames) is probably at the same complexity level as ASL /maybe a tad lower), but it covers the whole war. It is expensive, but it is probably the only game you need, if you want a complex game covering the whole war. I haven't played A World at War, but I'm under the impression that it is a very good game and it seems to be super complex.

I just took a look at A world at war, and it looks great. Have you heard anything, good or bad about europe engulfed?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pat sinks
United States
Wheaton
Illinois
flag msg tools
Jason, thanks alot for putting things into perspective, it has helped me even though I am still overwhelmed. The truth is AA is the only Wargame I have played, but I have been interested in it for awhile. WW2 minature games have been an interest mine also, but I have yet to bother with any of that. I just have a major interest in strategy, and I like to think deeply about what I am going to do in a game. And it just pisses me off that there is soooo many games, and I can't play them all. Another game I was looking at was Bonaparte at Marengo, do you know anything about this game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Von Ahnen
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lmyrick wrote:
If you think ASL may be your bag, but don't want to dive in and buy the whole thing right away, begin with the ASL Starter Kit #1. Only about $25 bucks and everything you need to play is right in the box.

Axis and Allies then ASL is quite a jump. I would not recommend that. But if you are into tactical, ASL might be a good choice. If you are looking for something more in line with A&A, and operational level game, I have always liked The Russian Campaign. It was rated Medium / Moderate complexity, but it was the first one I played.

Wargames fall into many categories, so your question is quite broad.

Here is how I define them:

Tactical: As been said, the games with Line of Sight, so you are talking about units that represent individual tanks, guns, squads of men, etc. ASL is the predominate WWII game here, but there are others.

Operational: Units represent army formations, like battalions, regiments, divisions, etc. There is a wide variety of games in this area, usually based around a single battle or theater of the war. Complexity can go from simple to outlandish. Popular games of WWII cover the battles of D-Day, the Battle of the Bulge, Stalingrad, and Africa, but you can find games of many lesser know battles also.

Grand Strategy: These are the games in which you direct all aspects of the war, what you build, where you attack, etc. These are similar to the original Axis and Allies, but to much deeper detail. These are usually farily long games better suited to multiple players, but I have played these with two also and they are a lot of fun.

Plus you have games for Naval, air, special operations, etc. A lot to choose from,

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Christopher
United States
Salem
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
In the wonderful game, Bonaparte at Marengo, this is how to get nasty Frenchies out of a village.
mbmbmbmbmb
patio87 wrote:
I just have a major interest in strategy, and I like to think deeply about what I am going to do in a game. And it just pisses me off that there is soooo many games, and I can't play them all. Another game I was looking at was Bonaparte at Marengo, do you know anything about this game?

What would you like to know about it? It's a deep, thinky game, so it sounds like, on that basis, you'll enjoy it. In some ways, it can be considered a hybrid war/abstract game, in that, as combat is deterministic but enemy unit values are hidden until combat is underway (unit values are revealed at a few other times, as well), you have to weigh many possibilities, and so there is great opportunity for bluff.

It's also about 2 hours a play, and the morale track easily balances it for players of different skill levels.

What other questions do you have? BaM players and the designer are a helpful lot over in the BaM folder.

Hope this helps!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Brady
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
I would say that if you're looking for a squad level, tactical game, the ASL Starter Kit #1 is the best bang for your $$. It'll give you an entry into the ASL world w/o turning your brain to mush, and ruining your budget. Don't expect it to be easy, though...even with the brevity of the SK rules compared to the "full" game, there's a LOT of stuff to digest.

If you decide to get the first ASL Starter Kit, you *absolutely* need to read the glossary at the beginning before you read the rules themselves...ASL rules writers are VERY fond of acronyms, and if you don't read the glossary first, you won't have any idea what MC, LLTC, TPBF, and FPF are. Once you've played the scenarios in SK 1, you'll have a good idea whether or not the system is for you, AND, you'll have a very good foundation to make the jump to the full rules if you like it. You can find folks playing on line via VASL every night, and there's almost always a few SK scenarios going. You can also download and watch some VASL log files...those can help immensely.

First edition rulebooks are on ebay all the time for around $40 or so, and I've seen the newest version of v. 2 of the rulebook for $55 online. The core modues are available, with several more coming up. I'm still using v.1 of the rules...while there are some notable clarifications in the 2nd edition, there are still lots of folks using v. 1 of the rules. MMP has all the errata available online.

Panzer Grenadier is platoon level...so it's a step up in scope, but a lot less complex in terms of rules. I've got a module, but I've never played it...the ultra generic mapboards really turned me off. A lot of folks like Panzer Grenadier, I've been told; some others say it's kind of bland, and you never get the sense of being in the battle like you do when you're playing ASL and your best leader just got killed by a sniper attack, or you spawn a beserk unit that will die in a hail of gunfire on your next turn.

There's also Advanced Tobruk, it's a squad level game sorta like ASL. I've played it, it's *okay*...but I'd never pick it over ASL, although many others have.

Seriously, for around $25, I don't think you can beat the ASL SK #1.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Foster
United States
Ocala
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A few recommendations:

PanzerGrenadier: Eastern Front Deluxe
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/16804

A simpler, less quickly paced (as in ‘time compressed’) tactical level gaming system. Over 100 scenarios in the EFD box.

ATS: Basic Game II Streets of Stalingrad
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/18887

Squad level tactics. Basic Game II features a large-hex map of a slice of Stalingrad. ‘Basic’ rules are shorter than the full Advanced Tobruk rulebook.

Europe Engulfed
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/6205

A very well thought out, block-system design. Area movement, interesting interaction between production and strategic warfare systems.

Russia Besieged
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/12567

Outstanding production values, mid-level of complexity. Corps/army level game of the German invasion of the Soviet Union.

Just some thoughts. Enjoy the games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan McKinney
United States
El Segundo
California
flag msg tools
badge
For the whole shebang, there's World in Flames http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/1499

It has a ton of expansions, none of which are needed to enjoy the game. In fact, I recommend steering clear of most of them.

This is a very big, very time-consuming, very complex game.

At a slightly lower level of complexity, and confined to the European theater, there's Totaler Krieg http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/4258, which has a very nice, quick system for creating different pre-war political situations and thus different starting situations for the war.

World in Flames offered a similar system in Days of Decision (1st and 2nd editions), but DoD was a complete game that took hours to play out. TK's system is quick, intended not as a complete game but as a "let's generate a situation" sub-system.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thee Insidius Doktor Glaze & His Sidekick Donut Boy with the Amazing Monkeytime Dancers Ooh!
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
I_have_heard_the_mermaids_singing,_each_to_each. I_do_not_think_that_they_will_sing_to_me... We_have_lingered_in_the_chambers_of_the_sea By_sea_girls_wreathed_with_seaweed_red_and_brown Till_human_voices_wake_us,_and_we_drown
mbmbmbmbmb
I think a lot of the recommendations above are awful long and complex that take a huge effort relative to the payoff. If you want to skip massive money- and time-sinks, here's what I'd recommend:

Memoir '44 http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/10630 is a fast battlefield game of WWII, highest recommenation.

Rommel in the Desert http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/84 is a great WWII 'block wargame' for two, where your forces are hidden like in Stratego.

EastFront http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/77 is another WWII block game with a great reputation. It will be out in a new edition soon, and you might find the current edition cheaper because of this fact.

Storm Over Arnhem http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/1423 is a great WWII 2-player game. Once you figure it out there are half a dozen similar 'impulse-wargames' that you can step up to. Again, check eBay.

A House Divided http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/701 can be played in one night if you're willing to try out the American Civil War, and the new edition is gorgeous.

Wings of War http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/9203 is cheap and fun and handles multiple players.

War at Sea http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/1431 is a forgotten classic that you can still find on eBay.

Most of these are two-player affairs. Were you looking for multi-player?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pat sinks
United States
Wheaton
Illinois
flag msg tools
Yeah I think I will do what you said jason, and eventually just start with the front series. I am also going to buy the bonaparte game, just because it looks like I would like it. But thanks to everyones posts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Walker
United States
Culver City
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out this list as well
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist.php3?action=view&listi...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunga Dunga
Canada
Maple Ridge
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fact is, you can get waaaaay more complex than AA, and it would be sad if your next game was so complex that it just turned you off wargames. So I'd shy away from things like World in Flames and The Gamers operational series of games, though I personally enjoy the latter very much.

The most frequent suggestion here seems to be East Front by Columbia Games. The beauty of it is that once you get into it, you can expand the game to include other WWII fronts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.