Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthew Bond
United Kingdom
Norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We had a few friends stay this weekend. Dan brought a couple of games he got for Christmas with him - Niagara and Roborally. I had a few games sitting on the shelf unplayed and out of all of them really hoped to get a first play of Primordial Soup. I mentioned it when they arrived, "I've got a great game called Primordial Soup that we must try. It's about amoebas." "Mmmm?" they both mumbled.
Friday night we played Roborally - great fun, 3 games in all. Saturday we played easier games to accommodate Rob's girlfriend Tade. So we played 3 games of Ticket to Ride, 4 games of Niagara and a game of Guillotine. Eventually the girls went to bed. Right I thought, time for the Soup. Wrong, time for Metro! Dan was thinking about buying it and saw it on my shelf so naturally wanted to try it. So we played Metro. I won. Finally at 1.30am on Sunday morning Primordial Soup hit the table...

I was yellow, Dan was blue and Rob was red. We started out - our amoebas drifted eating and pooping - then Rob and Dan saw the gene cards. So we sat there for 15 mins while everyone worked out which genes would be good. Rob went for Movement, I went for Movement and Dan decided on nothing. Rob bought an extra amoeba. The next turn Rob upgraded to Movement 2, I bought streamlining and Dan bought speed. Rob bought another amoeba while Dan and I resisted (both of us could see that Rob was turning out an awful lot of red poo and would soon be short of food, so we though it best not to over populate).

The game continued for a few more turns none of us were moving very far down the scoring track with all of us being pretty cautious. The game then seemed to accelerate as I bought ray protection and threw caution to the wind buying up to 6 gene cards. Suddenly I started moving along the track pretty quickly. The other realised this and started to buy more amoebas and gene cards.

At about 2 thirds of the way through the games the tribe consisted of...

Red (Rob)

5 Amoebas, Movement 2, Division Rate, Longevity and Escape.

Blue (Dan)
3 Amoebas, Aggression, Speed, Substitution.

Yellow (me)

4 Amoebas, Movement, Streamlining, Spores, Ray Protection, Tentacle and Intelligence.

This meant on average I was now getting 6 points, Rob 7 and Dan only 4 points each turn.

I was still in the lead, Rob about 2 spaces behind and Dan a long way back, about 10 points behind Rob.

A pattern was now forming. Dan would try and attack my amoebas (seeing as I didn't have escape). I would eat all the blue cubes, if I could, leaving enough red and yellow cubes for Dan (so he couldn't eat my amoebas). This meant Rob had trouble finding enough food as he produced more poo and because I ate all the blue cubes leaving his yellow (I was also using my tentacles to good effect). So Rob had a high turn over of amoebas, despite his longevity. Dan would then kill one of my amoebas with aggression at the end of each turn. Both Rob and I could afford to replace our lost amoebas as he had division rate and I had streamlined. Dan took the steady approach as usual.

Just after 2 thirds of the way along the track, disaster struck. A particularly low ozone layer meant Rob had to get rid of most of his genes - leaving him only Movement 2 and Division Rate. Dan lost Substitution, but I lost nothing as I had a surplus of BPs due to my free movement and Ray Protection. I even picked up Escape and raced ahead on points.

All of us now churned out the Amoebas realising that it didn't really matter if they died as it was the points that were more important - and anyway with all the dying amoebas there would always be a fresh supply of food.

Eventually the game ended at 3.40am. I reached the space 46, Dan finished on 42 overtaking Rob on the last turn who finished last with 39 points.

In a haze we all went to bed. Rob told me the next day that he slept terribly; dreaming of amoebas and trying to eat little wooden blocks.

We all had good fun playing the game, and there was lots of laughter especially as Rob's amoebas struggled to stay alive, but none of us felt it was a great game. It never felt like you had full control and although the gene cards determine your strategy it wasn't a game where you could do any real planning. Perhaps it will be better next time when we're all a bit more awake and can explore different strategies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Wilson
United States
Pleasanton
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow. I'd never consider learning Primordial Soup at 1:30am. zombie You might want to try it again in a more coherent state, and with a now-improved knowledge of the genes available, before passing a final judgment. I'll agree that it's a very tactical game, though you can make some plans on which gene cards you'll pursue and how your amoebae will behave with those genes. And if you don't like such a tactical game, you won't like this. But 1:30am? Yow.

meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Bond
United Kingdom
Norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, we probably shouldn't have learnt to play it so late/early - though it was one of those times where I really wanted to get it to the table at all costs. I think I was a little disappointed as it's a game I've been wanting to play for months and it didn't play quite how I expected. I didn't seem to matter what you did. You'd try to get your amoeba to some food, but it seemed as long as you kept cramming the board with amoebas/amoebae(?) you'd get points. I expect it will probably play differently next time. I hope so. I'll be sure to put another report up for comparison.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.