Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andy Hunsucker
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What it will do is make the game much much longer. Included in that is the fact that at a certain point, everyone on the board could be too weak to fight reds, but there might not be any blues left on the board to pick up.

It might work in a solo game, but with more than 2 or 3 players, your system has the potential to break the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike tauman

New Jersey
msg tools
I was thinking something similar but instead of adding 2 XP per level I was thinking 1, because as a previous poster mentioned the game would last way too long if you needed 11 to level up at some point and there are just not enough counters on the board.

So I was thinking maybe, for a 2-player game since that is all I have played thus far, instead of 5 XP per Experience Counter, it should be 3 + number of current Experience Counters for each upgrade (or 2 + level since 2 + 1 = 3 to start - same thing). So the progression is 3/4/5/6/7/8/9 etc

The nice thing is by level 6 (your 5th XP counter) you have accumulated and spent 25 experience points... the exact same amount you would have under the normal rules... but by getting those first two a tad quicker it would speed the game up for everyone. If you intend to level past level 6, you are now grabbing 8 instead of 5, then 9 instead of 5 etc.

It seems this would keep the game in balance, since the game was designed with only so many adventure counters and sunburst counters to repopulate the board, and that everyone can still get to level 6 with the same intended amount of XP which makes you fairly powerful already (although maybe not end-game ready), yet still give you that feeling of progression that you need a little more to level up down the road. I definitely agree that late in the game the levelling up was too easy... when I am cutting down blues every turn and levelling up constantly it just seemed wrong.

The one nice thing about leaving the game as is though is that a problem we used to have in Talisman from a dozen years ago or so is that one guy would get too powerful and the others couldn't catch up. In the game I played with my g/f I moved on to yellows well before she did and had a nice item or two, but she played much more conservative, and I figured she would never have a shot to win. Toward the end though she started leveling up quickly, and even though I might have been one level higher than her, she was probably strong enough to at least have a chance at the Reds and Margath (sp? still don't know all the names of everything) except that I got to him first (and barely won). So maybe they intended the "easy" late leveling up to level the playing field in case one player got off to a slow start?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarno Suntio
Finland
Turku
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Mike that 2+level is better. On top of that, I don't see the same benefit as Mike did with the original quick leveling towards the end. Here's why.

Mike wrote:
"Toward the end though she started leveling up quickly, and even though I might have been one level higher than her, she was probably strong enough to at least have a chance at the Reds and Margath --"

It doesn't fit my logic how the quick leveling in the end would shorten the gap. Why didn't you level up quickly? I would imagine that if you had to get as much xp as her and you were already stronger wouldn't the gap stay as wide as it was, if not even getting bigger? So, when implementing your proposed variant (2 + current level to level up), wouldn't that in fact be more efficient way to balance the players as weaker players would need less xp to level up than stronger players?

In your example, it seems to me that it was just you having bad luck or simply not fighting any challenges that resulted your g/f to catch up.

I think I'll propose this variant at our next session and see how it works with 4 players. Should be interesting...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.