Subject: Who re-prints the old wargames? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steven Weisner
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Does anyone happen to know if and who may be republishing and re-printing tho old wargames from SPI and AH? After recently 'finding' my old games, I,m feeling nostalgic for others of that time and would like to find some. I have discovered that Decision Games reprints some SPI games, but wondered if anyone else does, and I do not know of any old Avalon Hill games re-released. I know they are the old crude games of yesteryear, and have been surpassed by the new breed of games, but I would still buy them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Mahaffey
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
GAME ARTIST
badge
GAME ARTIST
mbmbmbmbmb
GMT has reprinted (and updated) Mark Herman's For the People. Multi-Man Publishing is reprinting some ASL materials. Fantasy Flight Games is finishing up a re-release of Britannia: http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/britannia.html and has done an update of Titan: Arena as well: http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/colossalarena.html

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Mosdal
United States
Hanover
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
http://l2designgroup.com/ has done "premium" re-releases of some old games (Russian Campaign for one; soon to rerelease Panzergrup Guderian). Multiman Publishing is the current home of Advanced Squad Leader and is talking about Panzerblitz. www.multimanpublishing.com

And I'd recommend GMT Games for "new" classics. They arguably have filled the niche AH used to have. The also printed A World at War which is a descendant of 3rd Reich. http://www.gmtgames.com

Hope that helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Moody
United States
Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A few AH titles have been continued or redone by others, but they are few and far between.

Nearly all SPI reprints are done by DG, but a word of warning -- through personal experience and from those of people I game with, many of them are inferior to the originals, through one or more of the following: more errata, new design elements that make the game worse, production errors, and inferior components. Some only share the name and theater of the original.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thee Insidius Doktor Glaze & His Sidekick Donut Boy with the Amazing Monkeytime Dancers Ooh!
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
I_have_heard_the_mermaids_singing,_each_to_each. I_do_not_think_that_they_will_sing_to_me... We_have_lingered_in_the_chambers_of_the_sea By_sea_girls_wreathed_with_seaweed_red_and_brown Till_human_voices_wake_us,_and_we_drown
mbmbmbmbmb
If price is no object, look at L2 Design http://www.boardgamegeek.com/search.php3?publisherid=2069

Not a lot of titles get reprinted, and the originals are still circulating among hobbyists. The BGG marketplace here is great, and anything you could possibly want wll hit eBay sooner or later. Another good place is wargame fansites like ConSimWorld. Even newsgroups are a good bet if you're patient.

Good Luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Von Ahnen
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are looking primarily for Avalon Hill, they go for reasonable prices on eBay. Especially some of their best selling ones. If you want the version of Gettysburg that was produced only for a year or two or some obscure unplayable game, you will pay top dollar. But if you want a played copy of a popular title, you are likely to pay less than we did when we bought them new.

And by the way, not everybody thinks that newer means better. The pretty counters the L2 added to Russian Campaign does not make up for the multiplier they added to the price of the game. In my opinion, buy the Avalon Hill (or Jedko) version and save the money for another game or two.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Decision Games has reprinted a few.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
Most of the old Avalon Hill titles are owned by Hasbro through their purchase of Avalon Hill in the mid 90s. Unfortunately Hasbro has little interest in reprinting most of them.

When they originally bought the company they let a few titles go back to their original designers such as For the People and Britannia (soon to be reprinted by Fantasy Flight) but have since stopped doing so much to the frustration of some designers who now can't get their games reprinted. It's been speculated that For The People was such a success for GMT (The fastest game to make 500 on their P500 list) that that made Hasbro deside it wasn't such a good idea to help their competition like that anymore. Understandable I guess if not a bit frustrating.

They also for a while were allowing MMP to reprint several titles. They did several in the Great Campains of the Civil War series and were suppose to reprint Up Front. However MMP and Hasbro had a falling out several years ago and Up Front 2000 was never published and MMP stopped printing and supporting the GCCW.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
THE MAVERICK
United States
Roseville
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
mrbeankc wrote:
However MMP and Hasbro had a falling out several years ago and Up Front 2000 was never published and MMP stopped printing and supporting the GCCW.

Up Front 2000 was axed by Hasbro?

MMP had a falling out with Hasbro?

Aren't the ASL games still published under the AH brand? MMP must still have a business relationship with Hasbro...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To my knowledge (others can comment, add to, and correct):

Original AH Game or Series: Current Publisher
ASL Products (various): Multi-Man Publishing
Great Battles of the Civil War series: Multi-Man Publishing*
Breakout Normandy: Multi-Man Publishing*
Panzer Blitz: Multi-Man Publishing**
Russian Campaign: L2
War at Sea: L2**
Fortress Europa: L2**
Panzerblitz Guderian: L2**
Bitter Woods L2
Brittania: Fantasy Flight Games
Third Reich: Avalanche Press***
Napoleon: Columbia Games***
For the People: GMT*
Diplomacy: Hasbro/WOTC

Notes:
* May be out of print again with current publisher.
** In development - not yet available.
*** Has some significant changes from AH original version.

I am not aware of Decision Games reprinting any AH games, at least in boxed versions (I can't say for the S&T magazine games).

These are the ones I know of. There are other games with the same or similar titles as old AH games, but are entirely different games. Also, I did not include the Advanced Tobruk series by Critical Hit - although based originally on AH's Tobruk, the game has evolved from that starting point and is not the same game. Finally, there are several eBay stores that sell AH wargame products, typically reproductions of countersets and rules for games such as Panzerblitz, Chancellorsville, War at Sea, and others. Most, if not all, of these little shops are probably making unauthorized reproductions and expansions, but it seems unlikely that anyone is going to make noise about this, and these products seem to move pretty briskly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.