BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Complaint Department

Subject: Question to Moderators rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joe D.
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
Why was my thread about Mystical Empire deleted? It was a valid thread about a game since this is a general gaming forum. Or, is it that you just delet threads that don't interest you?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Evans
United States
Westerville
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're talking about this one,

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/795197#795197

it's still there. It has just fallen off the front page.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe D.
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mpevans wrote:
If you're talking about this one,

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/795197#795197

it's still there. It has just fallen off the front page.

Nope, I posted one not too long ago. actually just 5 minutes ago and it disapeared.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe D.
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
Yes, I did get a message from a moderator that it is spam. Which it is clearly not. Is this a general gaming forum, or "lets post what moderators like" forum. Im very disappointed in this system.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L Myrick
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
xxfoxmanxx wrote:
Why was my thread about Mystical Empire deleted? It was a valid thread about a game since this is a general gaming forum. Or, is it that you just delet threads that don't interest you?

All your threads or responses are about this one game and how great it is. Makes you look like a shill.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe D.
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
Who the hell is keith? You mean the game creator? No, I wish I met him though so I can get some cards signed. I just found this website about games when I was looking for more information about the game on google. I live in Ohio, just me and a friend picked it up 2 months ago. Now we have a group that gets together every week on Saturdays to play. Its also a great multiplayer game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken B.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
generalpf wrote:
xxfoxmanxx wrote:
Who the hell is keith? You mean the game creator? No, I wish I met him though so I can get some cards signed.

If you want to meet Keith, he's over in the corner, hitting on the underaged model from the Scrye ad.

She's UNDERAGED?!?!

Oh, the humanity!!!

gulp

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe D.
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
generalpf wrote:
xxfoxmanxx wrote:
Who the hell is keith? You mean the game creator? No, I wish I met him though so I can get some cards signed.

If you want to meet Keith, he's over in the corner, hitting on the underaged model from the Scrye ad.

Ok, here's a guy who hasn't tried the game out, but posts stuff like this anyways. Hey mister "he's over in the corner, hitting on the underaged model from the Scrye ad", what do you play? Is that your reaction to everything that you don't understand? Do you wake up in the morning reciting that to yourself? Have I said something that offends you? And before you reply to this message, think about what you are going to say so that it sounds good. I don't want any one-liners here. At least write a paragraph or two explaing your thoughts. And in your paragraph, let me know if you have or have not tried this game. OK? GO-->

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Tavener
United Kingdom
London
England
flag msg tools
designer
The overtext below is true.
badge
The overtext above is false.
mbmbmbmbmb
Joe,

Let me give you some background so you can take the replies here in context.

Firstly, BGG is a board game web site; folks who like collectable card games are in a minority, and although the concensus is that they belong in the database, the question is raised from time to time.

Secondly, BGG is influential enough that every now and again a games inventor will try to create an artificially high rating for his game on BGG; often by getting his friends and relatives to register themselves and rate a game. A couple of months ago, we saw this happen with Mystical Empire; the inventor, his brother, and a couple of other folks came along, rated the game 9 or 10, posted some articles, and got a rather cold reception. The inventor has subsequently removed his rating, but you'll see on the ratings page that we still have a Keith Hill who registered, rated the game a 10, and went away never to be seen again, which looks very suspicious round these parts. Most of the other ratings are probably genuine now, but you can see why we are suspicious when a new user turns up, rates a single game at 9.9, and hypes the game on the front page.

Now I see that you have started to add some details to your profile, which will help your credibility a lot; note that your target audience is boardgamers, many of whom play 50 or so different games in a year. So, the more knowledge of the games field in general that you show, the more seriously your views are likely to be taken.

Moving on slightly, I played through the introductory game that came with the ME starter decks, and put the game away again. As a fellow magic player, you're going to have to sell me on the advantages that ME has over MtG; as far as I could see:
- the artwork was inconsistent in quality, and generally inferior to Magic
- the print quality was like some very early Magic cards - you could see the dot patterns, and clearly inferior to present-day cards.
- the card layout was crowded and detracted from the artwork
- the game seemed very derivative of magic, with little new that I could see. Before you mention the character cards, a direct comparison with the Vanguard magic variant is in order.
- where the game falls down is that instead of the nice clean stack that Wizards brought in in 6th edition, we seem to have a system of 10 priorities for spells, wich seemed likely to cause even more timing issues than the good old days of instants and interrupts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe D.
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
Ok, Ok, I will admit that I was harsh in my last comment. And it is true that I signed up yesterday, and my first post is about this game. So most of you guys that have been on this site for years and only really enjoy board games is going to think a random post about a CCG is spam and won't think of it as anything else. But honestly, the reason I'm getting upset is that I honestly just posted a good review about this game, and I wasn't trying to hurt anybody by posting this, and I immediatly get shot down by having it get deleted, and shot down again by someone thinking that Im from the company.
I understand that people don't have to like the game. As you stated that its not on par with Magic, and thats fine. Its your own opinion. Maybe this site should be dedicated to just board games so that nobody gets offended.
I do agree with you about the art on the cards. I've seen much better. Magic has by far the best art of any game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
This thread has been moved to the Complaint Department.

As for the original question, I never saw the original posts so can't say one way or another what happened to them.

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe D.
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
Point taken. I understand. would have thought the same thing myself. Those people are probably creators of the game. Im sorry, I had no idea that happened.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
LOL... Hey xxfoxmanxx, where you from? Ohio?

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?type=4&cam...

Hey keith, where are you from by the way??

laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Who the hell is keith? You mean the game creator? No, I wish I met him though so I can get some cards signed. I just found this website about games when I was looking for more information about the game on google. I live in Ohio, just me and a friend picked it up 2 months ago. Now we have a group that gets together every week on Saturdays to play. Its also a great multiplayer game.

But?
Quote:

So most of you guys that have been on this site for years and only really enjoy board games is going to think a random post about a CCG is spam and won't think of it as anything else. But honestly, the reason I'm getting upset is that I honestly just posted a good review about this game, and I wasn't trying to hurt anybody by posting this, and I immediatly get shot down by having it get deleted, and shot down again by someone thinking that Im from the company.

But, But?

Quote:
The fact of the matter is, whether you want to believe it or not, every post and rating made regarding my game has been posted by real people, NOT working for my company (excluding my brother. Just because you choose to believe something doesn't mean that it is the truth..... I would never dream of putting down all of the members of BGG but most of the members who have been pouncing on the fans of Mystical Empire deserve to be banned from this site. Just my 2 pennies.

But, But, But?

Quote:

I am from Manchester, NH. I don't think Joe is from OH. If this is the Joe I'm thinking it is, he lives in Manchester. He is training to be a judge.

WHOAH?! (Ok this is my best John stewart)

See, we aren't belittling new users from coming in and "randomly" rating a single game highly. But, this is a clear case of deception. You can see the difference right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L Myrick
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mysticalempire wrote:
Just cut this crap out now.

How about you and your buddies cut the shilling crap out now.

P.S. Michael, I thought that was an excellent Jon Stewart impression.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Yeackle
United States
San Luis Obispo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Keith,

Being a witness over the last 5 or 6 months, here are my observations. This is not targeted at you to defend the actions of those whom flamed you or decried your product. It's simply my take on what happened. How you choose to read it depends on whether there is something here for you to learn from, or whether or not it further upsets you which is truly not my intention.

To put it bluntly, you did several things wrong.

1. You stooped to the level of those attacking you and your product. By trading insults and using profanity, you no longer came across as a professional. After I witnessed that, I could no longer take you seriously. You are your product. If you personally look bad, you'll also make your product look bad. That's why it's important that you simply ignore such things. I know it hurts, but that's part of doing business. Where I work we're always 'ripping off' the students according to the word on campus... if they only knew how we're barely marking anything up to make ends meet. But we never publicly respond. If we tried to defend ourselves in the school paper or with ads, it wouldn't work. Why? The students don't trust our ads, they trust their peers. And when those students happen to come in just to grab a pencil or scantron, and see we actually have great deals compared to Best Buy or what not, they suddenly become customers. And they tell their friends, and so on and so on.

2. You didn't understand BGG. On this site, 99% of the content (posts, images, files) are provided by the 'community' members on their own *free will*. This is very important to understand. While community members might ask other members for information, game publishers and designers never ask community members to post information or hype a product. It's very bad form, to start.

When new members suddenly enter the community (yourself, your brother, and your fans of your product), but haven't taken the time to understand the community, and then engage in hyping a single product, it simply looks bad. Asking a fan to hype a product is no different than paying someone to hype the product. The end result is that you, the business entity that turns a profit from such hype, has generated a marketing campaign. The tools you used do not matter (free labor vs. paid labor), since you financially profit.

If you had not posted on your forum for fans to come to this site and hype the product, they never would have. They originally had no desire to participate in our community prior to you asking them to volunteer to do so. And because you profit from it, it's basically free advertising.

From: http://magicalempire.proboards26.com/index.cgi?board=general...

Keith Katsikas wrote:

One way that will really help get Mystical Empire out there is to go out and find gaming forums and start talking about Mystical Empire. I have been doing this as much as I can, but I think it would have a much greater impact if others did it too, especially gamers, who are not owners of the company. Please help spread the word. Thank you so much for being here and playing Mystical Empire. =)

Shortly followed by...

Keith Katsikas wrote:
I would like to ask all of our members to visit the following address and show us your support by rating the game, giving a review, and any other support you can post. This site is a very popular gaming site with lots of members who are interested in the game, but are still very skeptical. Your help would be much appreciated. Thank you! =)

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/18978

You didn't come to BGG to be a community member, and chances are, neither did your fans. Your whole basis for coming here was to hype the product. Sure you may have bought ads at one point, but the bottom line is that's where the advertising should have stopped.

BGG is like a family. We may not all like one another and fight it out with words from time to time, but we all love board games. We base many of our purchasing decisions on the opinions of our fellow members (peers) whom we trust.

That's pretty much it. I was going to add more, like how this is the internet and things that look fraudulent get a cold reception, but I think I hit the major points above from what I witnessed.

Good luck with your game. Don't pull it from here, but at the same time, step away from it. Let it blossom on it's own merits. If you force something, you'll just break it.

Take care,

jeff

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.