Subject: Placing Influence rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J.P. Morgan
United States
Smallville
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Forgive me if this has been posted or discussed elsewhere.
Cant seem to find an answer anywhere.

Although it may seem intuitive, the rulebook is sufficiently vague enough to leave room for interpretation on this topic and I feel that clarification is warranted.

The question is about placing influence markers.

According to the rulebook, it costs 1 Ops point to place an
influence MARKER in an un-controlled country, and 2 Ops points to place
an influence MARKER in a controlled country. The rule doesnt say what the value of the influence marker can be, nor is there is direct mention about the correlation of Ops points to Influence values.

Therefore:

1. Does this mean that the value listed on the Influence Marker
can be of ANY value, so long as I have sufficent Ops points to place
it in the country? Does this mean I could expend an Ops card with value 2 to place a marker with a value of '8' in an enemy controlled country?

(And yes, I realize that sounds silly, but shouldnt this be addressed
officially somewhere to avoid confusion?)

2. The extended play example implies a 1 to 1 correlation of Ops points
to influence values. For example, I have an Ops card of value '3' and this lets me place influence markers up to a total value of 3.

For example, on bottom of page 10 of the rulebook:
USSR plays a '3' Ops card, placing 2 influence in Iraq and 1 in Lebanon.

What about the Ops cost of placing markers?
Isn't this deducted from the card value?

Clearly, if it costs 1 Ops point to place markers in un-controlled countries, then shouldnt the above example read: USSR plays a '3' Ops card, placing 2 influence in Iraq AND PAYING 1 Ops point for the cost of the placement? (For a total 3 Ops points) The 1 influence in Lebanon would not be allowed.

Is the Ops Card value considered a dual purpose power?
Does it provide you with BOTH influence points AND OPS points?

Again, forgive me if these things seem apparent, but I would rather have them spelled out in detail than have to guess at the interpretation.

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It costs 1 Ops to place 1 Influence, 2 Ops to place 2 Influence, 3 Ops to place 3 Influence and so on. They can be divided anyway you choose between countries, although only whole number values can be placed.

The only exception is that if you are placing Influence in an enemy controlled country, each Influence point which is placed in said country costs 2 Ops, until the country ceases to be controlled.

Addressing your specific concern: Influence marker here means "Influence marker with value 1". It does not cost additional Ops to place in different countries.

Hope this helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Wilson
United States
Carsoin
California
flag msg tools
[q="Morgan"]Forgive me if this has been posted or discussed elsewhere.
Cant seem to find an answer anywhere.

Although it may seem intuitive, the rulebook is sufficiently vague enough to leave room for interpretation on this topic and I feel that clarification is warranted.

The question is about placing influence markers.

According to the rulebook, it costs 1 Ops point to place an
influence MARKER in an un-controlled country, and 2 Ops points to place
an influence MARKER in a controlled country. The rule doesnt say what the value of the influence marker can be, nor is there is direct mention about the correlation of Ops points to Influence values.

Therefore:

1. Does this mean that the value listed on the Influence Marker
can be of ANY value, so long as I have sufficent Ops points to place
it in the country? Does this mean I could expend an Ops card with value 2 to place a marker with a value of '8' in an enemy controlled country?

(And yes, I realize that sounds silly, but shouldnt this be addressed
officially somewhere to avoid confusion?)

THUS SAITH THE PREACHER:

It doesn't sound silly if you don't understand it. I'll try and help you get it. I suggest you look at rule 6.1.5 to clarify the denominations of the markers (and I'm not referring to religious affiliation- grin) You spend ops points PER value.. so to replace a value 2 marker with a value 3 in a country that is uncontrolled it costs 1 op point.

2. The extended play example implies a 1 to 1 correlation of Ops points
to influence values. For example, I have an Ops card of value '3' and this lets me place influence markers up to a total value of 3.

For example, on bottom of page 10 of the rulebook:
USSR plays a '3' Ops card, placing 2 influence in Iraq and 1 in Lebanon.

What about the Ops cost of placing markers?
Isn't this deducted from the card value?

Clearly, if it costs 1 Ops point to place markers in un-controlled countries, then shouldnt the above example read: USSR plays a '3' Ops card, placing 2 influence in Iraq AND PAYING 1 Ops point for the cost of the placement? (For a total 3 Ops points) The 1 influence in Lebanon would not be allowed.

THUS SAITH THE PREACHER:

I agree it could be a bit clearer, though you are the first to have trouble with it. The example says it costs a total of 3 to place the influence.. it costs 2 to place up to level 2 in Iraq and 1 to place in Lebanon for a total of 3 op points spent.

Is the Ops Card value considered a dual purpose power?
Does it provide you with BOTH influence points AND OPS points?

THUS SAITH THE PREACHER:

No, it only provides you with the EVENT or the OPS points. There is no such thing as influence points. you may use ops points to buy influence.

David "the preacher" Wilson

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.P. Morgan
United States
Smallville
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you both gentlemen.
I am sufficiently enlightened.

I guess the confusion arose around the use of the word 'marker'.

It would have been clearer to say, "cost of 1 ops point to place
a marker of influence value 1"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.