Popular Tags: [View All]
David Pontier
United States
Oak Forest
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Can you use the ability more than once in an attack?

The card says "...you may suffer 1 of the uncanceled crits...". It does not say "Only 1" and it does not say you can't use this action more than once. I have seen a player use Chewie with DTF to absorb 2 crits in one attack to save Biggs. I didn't argue the play, because I wasn't playing, but the card says 1. Now, if the card said "you may suffer all the uncanceled crits" then you would be obligated to take them all, even if it is a disadvantage to do so. But it seems like if FFG wanted to let you use the ability more than once in the same attack, they could have worded it differently.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown

Indiana
msg tools
Piqsid wrote:

The card says "...you may suffer 1 of the uncanceled crits...". It does not say "Only 1" and it does not say you can't use this action more than once. I have seen a player use Chewie with DTF to absorb 2 crits in one attack to save Biggs. I didn't argue the play, because I wasn't playing, but the card says 1. Now, if the card said "you may suffer all the uncanceled crits" then you would be obligated to take them all, even if it is a disadvantage to do so. But it seems like if FFG wanted to let you use the ability more than once in the same attack, they could have worded it differently.

You can only take one of the crits per attack. When an ability triggers off of something, it only happens once per trigger. As another example, Fel can only gain 1 focus token each time he gains a stress token.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Red_5ccg wrote:
Piqsid wrote:

You can only take one of the crits per attack. When an ability triggers off of something, it only happens once per trigger. As another example, Fel can only gain 1 focus token each time he gains a stress token.

This is how I interpret it as well. However, Draw Their Fire could trigger several times in one turn assuming multiple attacks result in uncancelled critical hits. In principle, this could happen twice during a Cluster Missiles attack ... but not twice via Gunner or Luke Skywalker (crew), since the first attack would have to hit (even if all of the resulting damage of the attack is redirected by Draw Their Fire) and thus Gunner/Luke wouldn't trigger.

Now, if you have two ships with Draw Their Fire within range of the defender, you could redirect one uncanceled critical result to each.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Pontier
United States
Oak Forest
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Red_5ccg wrote:
Piqsid wrote:

I agree with the consensus that you can only use DTF once for each attack, but I'm not sure of the parallel you are trying to draw with Soontir. If Soontir is attacked by Kath and cancels 2 criticals, then he will get 2 stress tokens and 2 focus tokens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Piqsid wrote:
Red_5ccg wrote:
Piqsid wrote:

I agree with the consensus that you can only use DTF once for each attack, but I'm not sure of the parallel you are trying to draw with Soontir. If Soontir is attacked by Kath and cancels 2 criticals, then he will get 2 stress tokens and 2 focus tokens.

Kath Scarlet says the defender gets a stress token "if he cancels at least 1 [crit] result." If Soontir cancels 2 criticals in one attack, he gets 1 stress and 1 Focus... unless a Gunner or Cluster Missiles provides a second attack and he cancels more criticals from the second attack (which could result in just 1 more stress and 1 more Focus).

Anyway, with respect to Draw Their Fire, I think that "you may suffer 1 of the uncanceled [crit] results" implies only/exactly one. Otherwise, it would say "you may cancel any number of the uncanceled [crit] results" or something like that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert M.
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
iNano78 wrote:
Anyway, with respect to Draw Their Fire, I think that "you may suffer 1 of the uncanceled [crit] results" implies only/exactly one. Otherwise, it would say "you may cancel any number of the uncanceled [crit] results" or something like that.

You, Matt Brown, et al. have it right. The upgrade can be triggered only once per attack (because you can only be hit once per attack), and when it's triggered you can take exactly 1 of the uncanceled [crit] results.

In order to absorb multiple crits, either the resolution would have to be different ("you may suffer any number of uncanceled [crit] results instead of the target ship") or the trigger would have to be different ("when a friendly ship is dealt a face-up damage card, you may instead assign the card to yourself").

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil, the Tusken Tactician
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can I ask an adjunct DtF question....?

Do you get to see what the crit is before choosing to draw it to another ship or not?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Creed Buhallin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Tusken Raider wrote:
Do you get to see what the crit is before choosing to draw it to another ship or not?

No. {Critical Hit} results on the dice turn into critical damage. Damage draws cards, face up for critical.

Draw Their Fire pulls the die result to the new ship, then that turns into damage, then the card is drawn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Billings
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Noob question. If you use DTF to suffer the crit result, can you use an evade token to cancel the result?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Alexander
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ootlaw wrote:
Noob question. If you use DTF to suffer the crit result, can you use an evade token to cancel the result?

No. DTF gets used if and only if any crits get past the final defense roll. This is past the point where you can use more effects to make the defense roll better.

Also, only the defender can normally roll or modify defense dice, and DTF doesn't change who the defender is. It only applies one damage die to a different ship.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.