Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ricky Lai
Hong Kong
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmb
I'm quite interested in this game but I'd like to know how player interaction plays out here. I tend to enjoy games with more player interaction more than solitaire-like games (who doesn't?). So could someone enlighten me please?

Ricky

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Low
Australia
Footscray
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

The game has the potential to go with and without player interaction.

BUT winning strategies seem to dictate play that 'affects' other players: such as using their permits to build, building over their buildings, building the church so that it covers other players' buildings, using the pirate to hit other players, etc.

The trading element from Settlers is missing here but in place of that are these abovementioned factors.

In some ways, players are 'doing' their own thing during their turn (slightly solitaire-ish) and leads to some downtime.

But it's not too bad here and it's much better than the dud that was Candamir.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve K
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
Based on my limited experience, I'd mention two further things ...

Firstly, there is much greater potential than in Settlers to destroy what your opponents have created. While Settlers lets players inhibit growth, it doesn't actually let players deduct VPs (except for longest road + largest army, which the current owner can work to retain). Elasund allows players to build over other player's buildings, which can directly reduce VPs.

Secondly, Elasun has "building permits" which must be placed on the board to enable building next turn (or later), so there's more signposting of intentions, more scope for bluff & defence.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Mackay
Canada
Unspecified
Alberta
flag msg tools
Far more player interaction than Settlers. With far less "screwed for the game" plays than Settlers.

How many times have you lost(or won) at Settlers because of a timely played Road early in the game that sealed the victory. Elasund allows you to get back anything you've lost, and lose anything you've gained. (Except for the Church!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.