Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Powell
United States
Unspecified
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lets talk about some of the great times we have had a our local wargame club.

In the 90s I belonged to the Vanguard Hobby Club that met in Easton, MA. One saturday I was playing Kremlin, a multi-player board game, with about 4 other guys and one spoke up and said, "Let's face it guys. If anyone of us could have got a date in high school would we be here right now?"

Sometimes I wonder.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Owen
United States
Norwich
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I always thought the babes loved geeks. :-)

For many years we had a lcoal gaming group that gathered in member's homes. For quite a while we used one player's large basement, but ehn he moved away for college we switched to mine, which was quite as big or nice -- but had the advanatge of being available. On occasion we also met at another buddy's aprtment. The advantage of these kind sof venues was the ability to leave stuff set up. We were able to play some really epic wargames, including full campaigns of Empires in Arms that could last months. Marriages, school, new jobs and the otehr distractions of real life slowly broke the group up, but we had some great times. Besides EIA, we also played a lot of Cry Havoc, Gunsliger and miniatures.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John O'Haver
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Pet photographer, that's me.
mbmbmbmbmb
In the nineties the Kentuckiana Historical Game Society met at an FLGS. A couple key people moved away, the store closed, I moved away...poof.

Since 2005, my little local 4 man board game group includes BGGers MrWeasley and residuetiger plus my grizzled playtester friend. We meet for lunch every other Saturday then convene in the back room of the Louisville Game Shop until closing time.

Oh, except on the one Saturday per month that one of the two big wargame clubs rent a motel conference room in New Albany for a mini-con. The FOTO GAMERS and The Campaigners alternate months.

They are mostly miniatures gamers but they let board gamers show up. All they ask is a contribution of a few bucks to cover the room rental. The last one was the 4th of this month. When I got arrived there were 36 miniatures players already there and only one 30 x 72 table unclaimed.

There was one enormous battle set up on 6 such tables arranged 2 x 3. I think there were two six man teams playing that one. There were at least two father and son pairs involved.

There is a Subway and Noble Roman's in the motel and a Waffle House across the street.

Next time I'll bring the digital camera.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Wilson
United States
Northampton
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My set of local grognards are Tom, Don, Leonard and Francis. They have maybe 125 years of combined gaming experience between them!

I'm a bit of a whipper-snapper compared with them, and am not a true grognard, although have been familiar with hex-and-counter stuff since I was a small child (thanks to having a very interesting brother 14 years my senior).

One day last year (2005), I showed-up with a neat little gift from a housemate (named Joao) who moved away... he was just finishing-up his degree as a landscape architect, and couldn't bring his bulky project back to Portugal with him. Poor me, I had to inherit a piece of carefully layered, varied-elevation terrain with ridglines on it and lot's of trees, plus a few buildings... that measures 4.5' x 3.5' x 16" tall at it's highest! Poor, poor me.

I also happened to have picked-up some 22mm-ish plastic toy soldiers at the local Dollar Tree store about two years prior. Like peanut butter meeting chocolate to make Reeses, the figures and the terrain were destined for each other.

Some downloaded "One brain cell" toy solider rules (http://www.alliancemartialarts.com/toysoldiers.htm), a few slight mods from the experienced miniatures wargamers Tom & Don, and we had us a fun time with a cheesy scenario that involved the "tans" recapturing a "tank model" from "the greens"... a Japanese tank from Axis & Allies, actually. Five plus hours of pure, unadulterated fun.

Yeah, that would be MY wargame club experience....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.