Albert Hernandez
United States
Greenville
SC
flag msg tools
The show on solitaire boardgaming.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wordmaster is a crossword type game similar to scrabble. The game comes in a small square box about 3 inches wide. Included are dice with letters, magnetic letter tiles, a magnetic board in 9 parts, a rule book and a small bag for storing the letter tiles. The letter tiles are octagon shaped and when four of them are placed in a 2x2 square, an empty diamond is left in the center. This is relevant because bonus points can be scored, the score being the number on the board that appears in that diamond.

I bought this game at Barnes & Noble for 50% off at an after christmas sale. In fact, they published the game.

I've only played this game solitaire so far, but the rules aren't too different from a mulitplayer game.

The basic premise of the game is to draw random letters and try to spell words for points. In the solo game, you role the 5 dice and pick out the one tile for each letter you rolled. The letter distribution feels random and I rolled lots of 'X', 'Z' and other not very useful letters.

Like Scrabble, you place the first word in the center of the board and build other words of what's already placed; however, scoring works differently than in Scrabble.

You get 1 point for each tile you place and 1 point for each word you complete. If your die roll spells a 4 letter word, you automatically double your score. If you roll a 5 letter word, you can tripple your score. You gets those points even if you don't place that word on the board. If you do place, then you double/tripple your ORIGINAL score again. That is if your base score was 5 and you rolled a 5 letter word, it would become 5x3=15. If you place that word then it would become (5x3)+(5x3)=30. You can also get bonus points for placing 4 letters in a tight square. When you place four letters in a square, you'll see a number in the diamond between them. You get this as a bonus. The bonus goes from 1 point at the center up to 8 at the edges.

The game ends if you can't place any tiles during your turn.

The game is fun the same way Scrabble is fun. In all, I'm glad I made this purchase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.