Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Timb
United States
Anniston
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm friends with some guys that are really into role-playing. We get together each year at GenCon and in addition to the DnD fest, they always want to play Talisman. (Original edition with all the expansions).

Talisman is fun, but I tire of playing a 4-6 hour game that is mostly based on luck.

Last year I introduced them to Shadows over Camelot, which they loved. This year I'm looking for a game styled like Talisman, with RPG-type elements, that has a higher strategy to luck ratio and isn't burdened with 20 year old errata.

Any suggestions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie the Cranky Gamer
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Runebound is the game I see commonly mentioned in this context. I've never played it, so I can't speak from experience.

However, I would like to say that I'd very much like to see an non-asstastic reprint of Talisman. That 3rd Edition was a disgrace.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Runebound or Return of the Heroes would probably be the closest modern equivalents.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Goldstein
United States
Culver City
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also think about Arkham Horror and Betrayal at House on the Hill

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timb
United States
Anniston
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your suggestions. I have Betrayal. I never considered that as an alternative, I guess because of the genre. I'm not married to the fantasy setting, but it's probably my first choice.

After your suggestions I looked into Return of the Heroes and Runebound. While Runebound sounds good, I saw several comments that said three players was the optimal maximum. I'd be looking for a four or five player game.

But my other concern is that I understand from reading the reviews that Runebound and RotH offer no player confrontation. This is one thing in a coop. game like Arkham Horror, but seems lacking here. What do you think?

On another note, Tom Vasel has recommended Duel of Ages very highly. It seams to have some RPG-flavor and also some confrontation. Does anyone know that game that could recommend it? I'm trying to get a feel for how much of the questing, adventure style it has as opposed to just being a squad level combat game.

Thanks in advance for any comments.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonah Johnson
United States
Van Nuys
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Battlestations and Lord of the Rings

jj

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Coon
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure that the luck factor is any less than Talisman, but if I had to think of the best Talisman successor, I'd pick Descent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francisco J. Piña A.
Chile
Calama
Antofagasta
flag msg tools
badge
Insert any witty/stupid overtext you can think of here... I got nothing
mbmbmbmbmb
How about World of Warcraft?

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/17223

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark camp
United States
Lesser Binghamton Area
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I second World of Warcraft. It's teambased, so you get a mix of co-op and confrontation, and there are a lot of options for character development.

If you add the two Items expansions to Runebound, a lot of the cards in them encourage player confrontation. They only cost $6 each, so that might be a viable option.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hi! I'm new to boardgames. I have been a fan of CRPGs for many years now and I have been researching for RPG board games for quite a while. I can not recommend from experience but I can summarize my understanding from the several reviews I've read.

Right now, the RPG that seems the most interesting would be Battlestations and it sounds like it would play great with 4 to 5 people. I recommend that you read Tom Vasel's review. Like you, the following applies to me as well:
Quote:
I'm not married to the fantasy setting, but it's probably my first choice.

Nevertheless, Battlestations seems like an RPG worthy of consideration. Thumbs up.

In the fantasy genre, Runebound seems like the first choice when compared to the others with the possible exception of Candamir (see below). The situation I have is that there are people in the group I play that have never played RPGs before and are open to it but only if they're not heavy. So I wouldn't want to get this game as a matter of introduction. Nor would I pick up Battlestations now for the same reasons... but I have an evil plot on the way to overcome that. Now with Runebound I would like to add that PvP may spoil it or enhance the experience depending on what your group likes. So it seems best to turn everyone to the same page before playing.

Candamir seems a relatively lite RPG. I read that the setting is fantasy minus the magic. The movement mechanic seems cool. I would need to play this to know how much would I like it.

With Descent, I had a nitpick that now I can't remember. I've heard comparisons with HeroQuest which I liked (about the only board game I had long time ago) but my group does not want to play it because it seems to be too kiddy for them. Whatever. I wish I could have a better input of Descent for you, but I may need to evaluate this again.

Return of the Heroes attracts me because of the outdoors and modularity. However, it seems more lite in the way of strategy.

World of Warcraft seems to offer more in the way of Character Development. It's also PvP (teams vs team actually) so keep that in mind. It also seems to be a lengthier kind of game. While I would enjoy PvP occassionally (if others are open to it), I pretty much prefer cooperative RPG games. That is, all vs. Dungeon Master anyway...

I hear Talisman is... Oh wait, am I going to "review" I game you already own? laugh

There's also Dungeon Twister but personally I'm not sure I like the idea of twisting tiles. It's on my list, just not a priority.

Diamant does not have, stricly speaking, a fantasy theme, nor is it an RPG for that matter, but it seems fun and close enough that it's worthy of a look.

I'm sure I'm missing something... that's it for now. Good luck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael M
Sweden
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Tim,

I'm also on the search for a modern replacement for Talisman. I love the game, as you can see from my ratings but I can agree on that it got some flaws.

Runebound and Return of the heroes are the games that people always recommend, but I don't agree with them.

Return of the heroes just feels to cold. Don't know if it's just the tiles with minimal art or all the misprints or just the rules, but It didn't do anything for me..

Runebound I had high hopes for, but the downtime just killes everybody. Each fight takes forever.. I rather like the simplicity of Talisman. And the player interaction is minimal..

The best game I can recommend that seems to be very close to Talisman with some modifications (no dice for moving among other things) is Prophecy. http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/8095. I haven't played the game, but from what I read it looks real good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Wong
Singapore
Singapore
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Descent comes to mind alone with Runebound (especially now it has the Midnight expansion). I liked Talisman for a while but it got too lengthy and boring as I grew older and wanted something with more 'meat' in it. Thankfully Runebound came along and it did satisfy me for a while. The game is not too bad and there are certain elements that are enjoyable but with 5-6 players, game time tends to be much longer. It might actually be better if PvP was actively encouraged in the game as it provides a lot more player interaction (you might want to modify the rules a little). If the PvP option is taken, play with open minded players as it does get a little frustrating when a powerful player constantly beats onto a weaker one. The Midnight expansion looks pretty good though I've yet to try it. At least it let players co-operate and hence increases player interaction.

If you liked Warhammer Quest, then Descent might be something worth trying out too. The dungeon crawling provides a lot of RPG aspect especially if you were to do a campaign and since the boards are modular, each adventure would most likely to be different each time you play. If you are wanting a dice fest, then go for World of Warcraft. Also you might want to consider Doom. It plays only 4 though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwsparks
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
When the bullet hits the bone!
mbmbmbmbmb
Descent plays 2-5, with one person being the Overlord. The bigger quests can run a bit long, though, but it certainly feels more strategic than Talisman.

I'm not sure I could recommend Runebound. They pull it out in my gaming group sometimes, and it goes on FOREVER. Last time, they started a five-player game at 7:00 PM, and one player left at 12:30 AM, at which point everyone else decided to quit as well. (In fact, two of the last three Runebound games have ended that way...).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alfonzo Smith
United States
Hawthorne
California
flag msg tools
designer
Vie by Victory Point Games
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mystic Wood. Doubly delightful if you have the expansion kit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie the Cranky Gamer
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Ok, can SOMEONE agree with me that we need a new Talisman?
laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.