Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Have faith
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Twilight Imperium 3 is fairly complex, from what I remember of the rules. I haven't played it, but maybe this will help until someone more knowlegable posts here. I think the rules are available for download from FFG.

Of course you know about the "game play weight" stat for games - that might also give you a notion of complexity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Mahaffey
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
GAME ARTIST
badge
GAME ARTIST
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, you can read the rules to all of these on FFG's websiteL: http://www.fantasyflightgames.com

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Martin
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All of these games are medium-heavy except TI3 which is heavy. The rulebook is 43 pages long!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Smit
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mb
I havent played all of these (but i imagine Doom is much the same as Descent) but here are my opinions:

War of the Ring (Medium): The rule book is terrible and it can be a very difficult game to learn (or at least, it was for me. I honostly have an easier time with hardcore war games like ASL than i had with learning this). Once you work it all out its not a complex game to play though.

Descent Journeys of the Dark (Light): You can read the rules for this in 20minutes and never have to look at them again. Not much thought required while playing.

Twilight Imperium III (Medium): This has a much better rule book than WotR so i found it much easier to learn. It may be long but FFG doesnt tend to put a lot on any one page. In the end the complexity of the game is about the same as WotR.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark camp
United States
Lesser Binghamton Area
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Twilight Imperium seems very complex from the rules, however, once learned and played, it's fairly easy to teach to others. I found the condensed summary here on the geek very helpful, and it has grown from a game we played just to humor me, into a game everyone likes and looks forward to.

I haven't played War of the Ring (although I did just pick it up at half price at Barnes and Noble), but I would rate the others as medium, maybe leaning towards light. The combat system in WoW took a little getting used to, but is actually fairly straightforward after a round or two of combat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Iennaco
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
MrSkeletor wrote:
This would be my order (from least to most):

Doom + Expansion (Med)
More complex than the standard dungeon bash, havn't tried the expansion yet so don't know how much more tricky it makes the game.

Descent Journeys of the Dark (Med)
Similar to Doom, but new rules increase the complexity a bit

World of Warcraft (Med)
Probably on a similar level to Doom and Descent, but with this you kind of need to knwo all the rules from the start, which can overwhelm some new players.

War of the Ring (Med Heavy)
Poor rulebook nearly made this a top contender. Not that hard once you are shown

Twilight Imperium III (Med Heavy)
Indervidualy the different components that make up the game are quite easy, but when added together there is a lot for a new player to keep track of.

I agree.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dane Peacock
United States
Stansbury Park
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
That tickles
mbmbmbmbmb
Luke the Flaming wrote:
MrSkeletor wrote:
This would be my order (from least to most):

Doom + Expansion (Med)
More complex than the standard dungeon bash, havn't tried the expansion yet so don't know how much more tricky it makes the game.

Descent Journeys of the Dark (Med)
Similar to Doom, but new rules increase the complexity a bit

World of Warcraft (Med)
Probably on a similar level to Doom and Descent, but with this you kind of need to knwo all the rules from the start, which can overwhelm some new players.

War of the Ring (Med Heavy)
Poor rulebook nearly made this a top contender. Not that hard once you are shown

Twilight Imperium III (Med Heavy)
Indervidualy the different components that make up the game are quite easy, but when added together there is a lot for a new player to keep track of.

I agree.

Me too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Marchlewitz
Canada
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just because there are a lot of pages in the TI3, it is not an overly complex game, nor are the rules hard to follow. I still believe that the rules to War of the Ring are the most difficult to get through up on only one or two readings.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
United States
Carpentersville
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Doom + Expansion (Med light)
Descent Journeys of the Dark (Med light)
World of Warcraft (Med light)
War of the Ring (Med)
Twilight Imperium III (Med)

Here's the advanced querry sorted by weight:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/search.php3?publisherid=17&publ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Vantries
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Geez, I never had any problem with the WotR rulebook. I thought it was not at all difficult to grasp. I will admit that the layout could have been done a bit better, or they could have at least included an index, but otherwise, the game itself is not hard to pick up.

As for rating the game complexities, I've only played Descent, WotR, and TI3, and I would say that they're all probably about medium. If you can grasp one, you can grasp any of 'em.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.