Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
49 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: rude or not? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
msg tools
What do you guys think? I went into a game store for the first time. They happened to have some in-store gaming. I went upstairs to take a look at the gaming that was going on. During that time the store closed. I went downstairs to use the bathroom. When I went down there, I was questioned by the manager. He asked if I was playing in the games. I said no I wasn't. Then he asked me to leave cause the store was closed. I asked, "well can I go back and finish watching the games?" He said, "No you have to leave"

Well I dunno bout you but I found that kinda rude. Yeah I can understand the right of the manager to ask that I leave. But isn't the point of having a gaming night is to get people interested. And perhaps come back, and frequent the store more often? Well just wanted to get your thoughts. Maybe I'm overreacting to nothing.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
Here we are folks, the dream we all dream of.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
You know, I've always wanted a good reason for that whole burning bag of poop trick...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The owner of my local game store would never have done that.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Johnson
United States
Salem
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
He sounds like a real ass. I wouldn't enter his store again and I would encourage others to shop elsewhere too. DOUBLE DAMAGE BABY!

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Brown
United Kingdom
STOCKPORT
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mb
The manager isn't rude he's just an idiot
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gotthard Heinrici (prev. Graf Strachwitz)
Germany
Düsseldorf
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Why asking our feedback?!

It is obvious that this man has some frustration and he pointed this to you. Based on the info you have given you should not question yourself by posting a thread if this is rude.

Thank him for letting you know and fins yourself a more pleasant environment for gaming.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike zebrowski
United States
Unspecified
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
It really depends on what policies the store has.

For example, my FLGS closes at 9pm. However, if you have a membership, you are allowed to stay until midnight in order to play games. As membership is $30 per year, the store has to kick out non-members at 9pm otherwise paying for membership is pointless. (There are exceptions made for special events such as tournements)

Quote:
But isn't the point of having a gaming night is to get people interested.


Except, you were not playing in a game.

If you knew the reason that the games were allowed to continue past closing time, you might understand why you were asked to leave.

Mike Z
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rene Wiersma
Netherlands
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
chuchu wrote:
But isn't the point of having a gaming night is to get people interested. And perhaps come back, and frequent the store more often?


Maybe, maybe not. Perhaps those people paid for a quiet night of gaming without any intruders. Who knows? If the manager asked you to leave politely then I don't see how that can be rude. Whether it was a smart thing to do is another question, as you obviously don't feel like going there again.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olivier D.
France
Brulain
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey maybe there guys were the manager's friends, who were having a private game night.

Since you didn't ask why the gaming was allowed to go on past the closure time and you weren't, we'll never know whether the manager was really rude or merely getting rid of the last customers to enjoy a private party.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King of the Dead
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Or maybe it was a mob front and they were waiting to start loading they're guns and doing coke and smoking fat cigars drinking whiskey and talking about the big heist that was about to go down until you left.

Maybe you were lucky to walk away with your life.

Maybe... It could happen...

What?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Mahaffey
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
GAME ARTIST
badge
GAME ARTIST
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Nathan's interpretation is best...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Whether or not he was being rude, the important thing is that you are here! Welcome to the hobbymeeple

And to Board games geekmeeplemeeple

I'm sure some of these gentlemen (and ladies, we have them too), will be happy to show you some places you can buy more board gamesmeeplemeeplemeeple
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Sauberer
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Mike Zebrowski wrote:
It really depends on what policies the store has.

For example, my FLGS closes at 9pm. However, if you have a membership, you are allowed to stay until midnight in order to play games. As membership is $30 per year, the store has to kick out non-members at 9pm otherwise paying for membership is pointless. (There are exceptions made for special events such as tournements)

Quote:
But isn't the point of having a gaming night is to get people interested.


Except, you were not playing in a game.

If you knew the reason that the games were allowed to continue past closing time, you might understand why you were asked to leave.


I think that part of the problem is that the manager did not give him a reason. If the manager had said, "the upstairs is only open after hours for our in-store gaming club" instead of what amounted to "don't let the doorknob hit you on the way out" my guess is that this would never have been posted.

Also, it evidently was not a group of the manager's friends since the manager asked him if he was playing.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magic Pink
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
My vote is for pretty amazingly rude.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
Not enough data bill bob.

For all we know you could be the type who only bathes once a month and he needed to get some fresh air in there. Or perhaps you were skulking around in a darkened corner, casting furtive glances in his direction. Maybe he stopped you just as you were sneaking into the back store room. Or perhaps you had irritated the regulars to the point where several of them asked him to get you out of there.

Not that I expect you to "come clean" and confess what sort of poor behaviour on your part prompted the manager to feel the need to protect the store and it's customers... I'm merely pointing out that your post says nothing about anything other than you claim some unnamed person in some unnamed store in some undetermined part of California asked you to leave after the store was closed.

Here's what I think, based on 23 years of running a store that had regular games nights: if you don't literally demand that the customers leave on a game night many of them will actually spend the night on the premises. So I suspect that he was beginning the process of clearing out the store and you just happen to be one of those overly sensitive types who left out just enough information to get some sympathy from the anti-store contingent on the Geek and portray yet another vague store manager as bad.

But then I may be wrong... you are, after all, from California.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelsey Rinella
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
I am proud to have opposed those who describe all who oppose them as "Tender Flowers" and "Special Snowflakes".
badge
Check out Stately Play for news and reviews of games worth thinking about.
Avatar
mbmb
Here's a possible reason that it might make some sense: after hours, there isn't always someone downstairs watching for shoplifting. If people are playing a game, it's less likely they could slip downstairs to steal unnoticed by the other players. Those who are merely watching could easily just be hanging out upstairs waiting for an opportune moment to leave the store, with a short stop for theft on the way out. Someone of a particularly suspicious turn of mind, or who has noticed such problems in the past, might be understandably inclined to show low tolerance for such behavior.

I still think it's rude, but if there's plausibly a good reason for it, I find it easier to take rudeness. If something like this were the case, I could understand not explaining it, either--giving people ideas about how to steal from your store seems like very bad policy. Just some thoughts to put a more charitable interpretation on his behavior.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike zebrowski
United States
Unspecified
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
Psauberer wrote:
I think that part of the problem is that the manager did not give him a reason. If the manager had said, "the upstairs is only open after hours for our in-store gaming club" instead of what amounted to "don't let the doorknob hit you on the way out" my guess is that this would never have been posted.


As others have pointed out, we lack information. We don't know what was acutally said. Heck, for all that we know, there was a big sign in neon letters stating the policy.

The only factual information that we have is:

1) The store was closed.
2) The OP was not involved in a game.
3) The OP was asked to leave.

I see nothing wrong with asking someone who is loiterring to leave.

Mike Z
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Gresik
United States
Bolingbrook
IL
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to agree with some of the thought later in this thread. Often, we judge others by their actions and ourselves by intent...and then get upset when people do the same to us. You knew you were only there to check out a local game store and watch a game. The store owner may have been concerned about shoplifting/safety, etc. From his perspective you are a stranger, whom he has never seen before, in a place you should not have been, asking to hang around after hours.

No offense, but if your response to his querry as to why you were there was overly sensative, I can understand him being a little suspicious, and maybe even asking you to leave. Especially if he was running the game or involved in it or reffing (i.e. no one was downstairs to keep an eye on the store - as has already been suggested)

I agree that we lack info to determine whether or not his actions were rude or at least undestandable given the circumstances.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Read the rulebook, plan for all contingencies, and…read the rulebook again.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Sometimes, invited guests will play games with the FLGS staff after hours. Since these sessions aren't open to the public, the store needs clearing. So that no (overt) favoritism is shown, ALL patrons and gamers (after hours guests included) leave when the shop closes. Then the after-hours guests usually get a bite to eat and come back. They are then permitted through the locked door. That seems fairest.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
Of course, that's no excuse for the rudeness displayed in this thread to a BGG newbie.


Eh? I don't see anyone being rude to bill bob. Just because he's newly registered on BGG doesn't mean we ought to assume he's clueless about open forums on the internet. Or, for that matter, what type of bomb to toss out on a niche site like this to elicite a sympathetic or inflammatory response.

I lurked here for two years before finally registering and I assure you, I was well aware of the topical issues regarding games being discussed, bought, played and other common topics on BGG.

Essentially, I'll hold my position. bill bob gave no data at all. None. So he was asking for a sympathetic response to what I have to assume is either an imaginary occurance or one that he doesn't feel compelled to give sufficient data about.

And really, so what if this did happen? What's the point in bringing it up? Are game stores to be judged this way? On vague antecdotes? What's the point of the post anyway? Is he asking for some help in getting an idea about how to aid the manager in upgrading his customer service skills? Is the point to cast a dark cloud over the idea that game stores are friendly? Does he intend to to portray stores as exclusionary and cloistered groups of surly gamers who aren't open to new players and the idea of expanding the hobby?

In short, the post itself is a bit of a troll. Which I don't mind because many of you know I love this subject.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Boyung
United States
Brookfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually had this happen to me once, while the store was still OPEN!. I was watching a friend in an L5R tournament (At Adventure Games Plus in Milwaukee), waiting for him to finish his game so we could play a fun game (I wasn't in the tournament). The running the tournament (who now is the tournament coordinator for AEG) had the manager come down and try to throw me out because she didn't like me. I then went and talked with the owner about the problem, and he said that it was his manager's decision. I nicely informed him that then it was my decision to never spend money there again, and a bunch of my friends followed suit.

Some store owners really don't care about keeping customers happy. My only response to that is that you shouldn't care about keeping them in business.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Boyung
United States
Brookfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
DWTripp wrote:
For all we know you could be the type who only bathes once a month and he needed to get some fresh air in there. Or perhaps you were skulking around in a darkened corner, casting furtive glances in his direction. Maybe he stopped you just as you were sneaking into the back store room. Or perhaps you had irritated the regulars to the point where several of them asked him to get you out of there.


DWTripp wrote:
So I suspect that he was beginning the process of clearing out the store and you just happen to be one of those overly sensitive types who left out just enough information to get some sympathy from the anti-store contingent on the Geek and portray yet another vague store manager as bad.


Your last sentence there is kind of funny - because your first paragraph basically makes an ass of yourself, and portrays you as one of those bad store managers that you are whining about.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clinton Smith
United States
Port Arthur
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
So he was asking for a sympathetic response...


Then why did he state the following, DW?:

Quote:
Well just wanted to get your thoughts. Maybe I'm overreacting to nothing.


People who are looking for sympathy usually don't admit that they might be wrong. In fact, it is extremely rare to see anyone on the internet who is actually capable of admiting that he isn't infallible.

Quote:
And really, so what if this did happen? What's the point in bringing it up?


The point is to initiate a discussion. Mission acomplished.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
Quote:
Your last sentence there is kind of funny - because your first paragraph basically makes an ass of yourself, and portrays you as one of those bad store managers that you are whining about.


Depends Charles... on whether you are capable of sensing humor on the internet without the visual aid of emoticons.

I admit though, I have sometimes made an ass out of myself but usually there's tequila and scantily clad women involved.

As for being a bad manager, I guess it's a matter of opinion. Mine is simple, I was a customer everywhere but at my own store and I applauded managers and owners who refused to allow idiots and losers to humiliate them just because the idiot might spend $20 in their business.

One thing for sure, in over two decades I only permenantly banned two people for their poor behavior. And my gut tells me that getting those two freaks out of my hair made me a lot of money. Petty theft aside, everybody has the right to be in a store during normal hours unless their presence or behaviour is unwanted, abusive or outrageous. A store manager/owner has the right to determine when the store will close and who might be allowed to stay late.

Perhaps if bill bob provided a little more data this thread would become something other than a way for me to pass a little time during my workday.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Yeackle
United States
San Luis Obispo
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
DWTripp wrote:
Depends Charles... on whether you are capable of sensing humor on the internet without the visual aid of emoticons.


It's not easy. Words used, how they're used, who's typing them, mood of the reader, native language of the reader (or poster), etc. can play a big role. Since I know you purposefully don't use emoticons, it removes the edge that comes across in some of your posts. But not everyone knows that because they didn't lurk like I did for so many years.

Emoticons help a lot. They're the 'body language' of the internet. You don't really look at the emoticon, just seeing it at a glance tells you the general mood of the text and it becomes second nature and is less stilting than prefacing your post with 'i'm joking' or a follow-up post with 'sorry, i was only joking.'

If one quoted your post above like such:

"I have sometimes made an ass out of myself"

and responded:

"Only sometimes?"

It'd be easy to take that as an attack if that's all they responded with and you didn't know them. If they stuck a after it then there's a much better chance you'd realize they were only ribbing you... roughly... like with a knife. But then again, I always use a lot of happy emoticons when I'm flaming someone just to confuse them. And I also call people names by using clever examples attributed to a non-existent 3rd party...

Take care!

jeff
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.