Chris Askew
United Kingdom
Pelaw, Gateshead
Tyne & Wear
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

Long shot again but here goes...

My g/f and I dont get to play games together as a couple very often. She doesn't like 'playing against me', and is scared by games with masses of rules. She loves fantasy settings however.

So I ask you; Is there a game we can play co-operatively in a fantasy setting?

We have Runebound & Return of The Heroes - which despite being able to play non-confrontational, we'd like to play 'with' each other, as a team. We've also got things like Mage Knight, which can be played against 'random AI' style enemies, but we're looking for something a little more in-depth.

Do titles like Descent, or World Of Warcraft fit the bill?

At a stretch I could push the setting to Horror, or Medieval type stuff (we love playing PC RTS games such as Age of Empires, Empire Earth etc... but always play a skirmish as a team Vs AI)

Help me out guys (& gals).

Chris.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nuts, Lars, I bet myself that the first recommendation was going to be Lord of the Rings: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/823

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Tavener
United Kingdom
London
England
flag msg tools
designer
The overtext below is true.
badge
The overtext above is false.
mbmbmbmbmb
Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective is a paragraph-based deuction game; can be played competitively, but it's better as a team activity. Can even be played sitting in bed

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/2511

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Jackson
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If there's more than the two of you then Descent would definitely fit the bill in my opinion.

If it's just you and the missus though I reckon perhaps something like Arkham Horror might be better. It's not overly complicated but can be a bit fiddly with all the different cards. That shouldn't matter too much though as long as you know what you're doing.

Is there a problem playing competitively because you always win or is it that she just doesn't like that style of play? My girlfriend has got a bit frustrated with losing most of the time so I've started to coach her in some games to give her a better understanding of what I'm doing and why. Hopefully that'll mean we might have some slightly more competitive games in the future. Of course it's all still dependent on her being willing to play the games against me!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Scutt
United Kingdom
Matlock
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Chris,
I've been trying to put together a co-op fantasy game for ten years now, on and off. Having gone through about eight complete revisions, the game is finally approaching what I wanted (a DM-less RPG card game), and I should be looking for playtesters in the next month or two. Let me know if you're interested.
Cheers,
Tom

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Bove
United States
East Lansdowne
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, there's always the ultimate cooperative fantasy game for couples...oh, wait, you're talking about that kind of fantasy. Nevermind, then. devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King of the Dead
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadows Over Camelot http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/15062

There's always good old fashioned non-board rpgs

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Askew
United Kingdom
Pelaw, Gateshead
Tyne & Wear
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey guys!

Thanks for all the replies.

i) We have Shadows Over Camelot (and its great), and also LOTR (which we feel is poor in comparison).

ii) Greg - its me! -Chris- that you played with at Jen/Phil's. How you doin? Anyways, its not so much that I win all of the time (she does mostly), I think it's the competing against me 1 on 1 thats the problem.

iii) Tom - I'd love to give it a whirl. I've never playetested a game before, but I'd be more than happy. I'm an intelligent, (semi)articulate adult. Hope that doesn't rule me out of the target audience!

iv) Alex - there *is* always that. Maybe we should have a game entry for it, then we can log plays, post session reports etc...?

Back to the games...I'm currectly considering Arkham Horror, or Vanished Planet. Arkham has the edge tho, due to better availability in my grim, northern abode.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Fitch
United States
Garner
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
You might want to take a look at Minion Hunter. http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/679

It's a pretty enjoyable co-op game set in GDW's Dark Conspiracy RPG world so it is a nearish future setting with mutations and such. It's worth getting if you can find it and enjoy co-op games. Arkham Horror is also a good recommendation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Coon
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played Arkham Horror for the first time 2 weeks ago. While I really enjoyed it, here are some suggestions to keep in mind.

1) It's not fantasy, like you asked for. I'm sure you know this already, but I'm just throwing it out there. The theme of the game really is survival horror. It actually makes for a great co-op experience if you're not set on fantasy.

2) It's long. Really long. My first game with 2 players (each playing 2 characters) took 6 hours. One suggestion for your first play - read the rules (twice!) and play through a few sample turns by yourself first. Don't try to slog through the rules with your significant other sitting across the table or she'll never play it again.

3) Have player aids printed and available. The rules are well-written, but hard to reference. If you rely on the book for basic things like turn summaries, you'll find yourself page-turning frequently, annoying your girlfriend. Make sure to get at least a turn summary and any FAQs or rules clarification sheets you can find.

4) Organize! Have a large table, because this game is big. Make sure you sort and organize all the counters and cards before your girlfriend sits down. This will cut down on her time involved and help her have a better overall experience.

5) Really have fun with the theme. Play it up. Turn down the lights a little, put on some creepy background music, and get sucked into the theme. Call the characters by name and really imagine the setting. That should crank up the enjoyment factor.

If she's not turned off by the theme of Arkham Horror and isn't afraid to spend a little longer than a game of Shadows Over Camelot would take, then you're a lucky man! Run out and buy it right away.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L. Scott Johnson
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Try Army of Darkness. Long rules, but they're pretty straightforward. It has solo/coop play (against an AI "evil" player), or you can play it competitively.
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/1138

Or if you're looking for something more current, try Harry Potter Rescue at Hogwarts:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/15179

Ogres and Elves may fit the bill, but the description makes it seem more like a puzzle to solve than a game. Couldn't say for sure though.
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/18735

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Carr
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It can be expensive to get as it's out of print but Warhammer Quest was designed to be played co-op. The system is setup so that a random dungeon and wilderness is generated for each adventure and the monsters have a simple AI that they use for fighting. It's a lot of fun, but it can go for a lot on ebay.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/1634

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobb Beauchamp
United States
Volo
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is also OOP, but Magic Realm can be played co-op very well. The game can be fairly deadly, so just trying to survive long enough to achieve your victory conditions is a struggle.arrrh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Little
United States
Eden Prairie
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Karate Chop!
mbmbmbmbmb
Dinky_Gnatbane wrote:
You might want to take a look at Minion Hunter. http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/679

It's a pretty enjoyable co-op game set in GDW's Dark Conspiracy RPG world so it is a nearish future setting with mutations and such. It's worth getting if you can find it and enjoy co-op games.

Woohoo! I don't have to be the first one on the list to pimp Minion Hunter. While it's perhaps more "sci-fi" than you're thinking, it's still a great cooperative game that's light enough to be social but tense enough to keep your interest and ensure that teamwork wins out in the end.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duncan Flint
United Kingdom
Gloucester
Gloucestershire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Got the wife to play Arkham Horror, which she enjoyed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Jackson
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Chris,

Yeah I did realise it was you but I wasn't sure on the etiquette of talking with someone I know on an open forum as opposed to in a private message

Stupid really cos I'm sure lots of other people on here know each other and respond to each other's questions while also being a bit matey

I'm good, by the way. Slowly expanding my collection. I'm finding that for every game I buy there are always another 3 or 4 I'd still like. Bit of a problem

Anyway, I agree with what's been said about Arkham Horror above. Definitely worth your while going through the rules a couple of times beforehand and maybe having a run through for a few turns. If you do end up getting it you'll have to make sure you bring it down next time cos I haven't got it yet

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Askew
United Kingdom
Pelaw, Gateshead
Tyne & Wear
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey all,

Thanks for the replies and advice.

I've plumped for Arkham Horror (as it can be played solitaire, and also handles up to 8ppl). Might get a chance to try it out with her tonight too, before I unleash it on the rest of the group...

Greg - my collection keeps expanding too quickly for my wallet/shelf space too. Hence the need to find the right games. Still keep toying with designing my own, but lack of time/energy/soul left after work often halts any progress. May have just scored myself an eager illustrator to help with graphic design tho...

Chris.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
What about Lord of the Rings?

Cooperative
2 to 5
Fantasy
Cool!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.