Popular Tags: [View All]
Russell Jones
Wales
Newport
Wales
flag msg tools
Hi guys,
Please help me if you can.

We're planning on a game night soon, with six players.
We want to get in 5 different games in approx 7 hrs, and we've decided on some rules for the choice of games:

6 player (and plays well with 6)
Approx playing time 1:20 (2hrs max)
Minimal time to explain rules and "get it"

Our current “definite choices” are:

Carcassonne (of some type)
Citadels
Settlers (into the desert set up)

There's the possibility of Dune and/or cosmic encounter if I hear back off someone who I 'think' still owns them. Also there's formula de, but we play quite a lot of that on other nights that I'd like to give it a rest.

Otherwise I'd like to buy a good game that fit's the description, but I've spent ages searching for something to fit the bill here on the geek and am now going around in circles. The closest I've got is:

Power Grid,
Railroad Tycoon,
Medici,

…but in digging through the reviews each seems to have something different that puts me off a bit. Anyone want to advise me further before I part with my low quality paper money?

Ta!

Russ.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben .
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quick ideas would be Bohnanza and For Sale, maybe?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Key
England
Guildford
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agree with Bohnanza

Fearsome Floors is a blast- just dont think too much.

Alhambra would be a safe bet too.

Railroad Tycoon probably fits your bill, but you don't say what you didn't like with it.

Big Kini, with the expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris B
United States
Oxford
Mississippi
flag msg tools
Hotty Toddy Rebels!
badge
Lets go Blues!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hoity Toity works for up to six now. And its a great game.
Oh, and it's about an hour to play. With not too many rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick West
United Kingdom
Edinburgh
Midlothian
flag msg tools
"Only two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity....
badge
....and I'm not certain about the universe." Albert Einstein
mbmbmbmbmb
Would be surprised if you will get through Dune and still get in 5 games in 7 hours - that game alone could take up half your evening.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trenton
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
With six players and a rules explanation, I wouldn't expect Railroad Tycoon to take less than 2 hours.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Bryan
United States
Barbourville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How about These:

1. Zendo This is quite a bit of fun and not too much on the rules

2. Ricochet Robot This is great for any number of players. It does suffer from a skill issue, those who have it, will win by a large margin.

3. Hare and Tortoise is a great racing game.

4. Poorman's Trivia is quite a bit of fun with 6+ players

5. Category 5 is light and quick.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mary T.
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played Atlantic Star last night with 6 and it was a lot of fun. Fairly easy to explain and quick, too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Preston Fuller
United States
Ashland
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry if I am repeating

Medici- This would be an absolut one for me, easy fast but some depth.
Robo Rally- A race game for when you are tired of Formula de.
Dragon Delta- A little faster then Robo Rally.
Trans America-I recall it being six player. Correct?

I love Alhambrah but I would warn that a six player game can take long if people "think" to much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clark Rodeffer
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd recommend any of the following as decent games for six that are playable in less than an hour:

6 Nimmt!
Acquire
Bang!
Big Idea
Bohnanza
Clue
Dancing Dice
Exxtra
IceTowers
Oh Hell!
Oriente
Set
Why Did the Chicken?
Zendo

If you can stretch to more time than that, I'd recommend:

Bootleggers
Cosmic Encounter
Junta
Mystery of the Abbey
Power Grid
Sleuth
Vanished Planet

Clark

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Harris
United States
Mundelein
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Power Grid will take longer around 2 hours (if everyone knows what they are doing).

I would say stick to lighter games if you want to get more games in.

How about Bang!? It rocks with 6 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BibKamp318
Belgium
Beerse [near Turnhout]
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My best suggestions are:
- Alhambra, but do add extensions making sure sure there more buildings
- Ticket to Ride
- Bohnanza
- The Great Dalmuti
- 6 Nimmt or Take 5!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Bregoli
United States
Westfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
Union Pacific and Medici are probably good choices. I hear Shadows Over Camelot is good for 6 though I have never played it.

Some shorter games for 6: Category 5, Poison, Loot, Diamant, Transamerica, Pit, Cloud 9, Saboteur.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Reist
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmb
The other 6-player games that usually get pulled out in my group (that fit your criteria) would be Bang!, Bohnanza, and Fist of Dragonstones. None of them are overly complicated, and can generally be played in about an hour.

My personal favourite would be Fist, but it's the "heaviest" of the three, so to each their own.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Asher D.
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For Sale and Diamant are both very fun and short.
With 6 players my group recently discovered I'm the Boss, which I got specifically for those nights when we have 6, and another member bought a copy as a result too - it's a really good negotiation game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Snell
United States
Rexburg
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Elfenland plays great with 6 and in about an hour.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It may not be very short, but how about Shadows over Camelot?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bridget Jankowski
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Aside from Carcassone and Settlers, our preferred 6-player games tend to be:
Metro
Alhambra
Bohnanza
6 Nimmt!

... and also Power Grid. But with 6, this will almost certainly take more than 2 hours.

Less often:
Acquire
Bang!
Mystery of the Abbey
Kill Dr. Lucky
Betrayal at House on the Hill - for the recently revised Survival and Traitor books, see this thread: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/89139

Rarely:
Fearsome Floors
For Sale
Fist of Dragonstones
Chrononauts

Someone mentioned Ticket to Ride above, but I think it's max is 5 people?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Karp
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
admin
Developin' Developin" Developin!!
badge
100 geekgold for OverText, and all I got was this stupid sentence.
mbmbmb
My top game for six is Showmanager, also published as Atlantic Star, but I prefer the theme in Showmanager.

Other good games for 6:
Gemblo--fun, but pricey.
Some other race game--maybe Daytona 500, sometimes available for a reasonable price on eBay.
I'm the Boss, although that may be too chaotic.
Shadows Over Camelot is a lot of fun in my opinion, but it has many detractors.
Liar's Dice/Bluff/Call My Bluff is a great filler--just make sure you get a version that supports 6.
I also second the recommendation of Acquire.

Power Grid is great, but a bit heavy; I've never played it with 6. Railroad Tycoon will probably be longer than what you are looking for. Medici you will get mixed comments on, but regardless, I believe a new version of it is coming soon; if you decide on that, you might want to wait for it.

One more thing to consider: with a game night planned for 6, you will often end up playing with 5.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell Jones
Wales
Newport
Wales
flag msg tools
BGG is truly the best web site on the whole darn planet! Thank you guys, what a great response. Thanks for taking the time to comment.

I'll give some feedback here on some of the games suggested, and now my problem is not too few games but too many to choose between!!

I'll try a swift occams razor to see if I can make the list managable?...

Games that might be over a bit too quick, or else are a bit too light?
Our existing list (Carc/ stettlers/citadels) are all on the 'light' side (not necessarily short, just a light feel to them) so It would be nice to have something just a shade meatier. This could rule out many including:

Bang!, 6 nimit, for sale, pit, big idea, Dr. Lucky, Liar dice, TransAmerica, Dragon Delta, Metro etc.

(I'll most likely get Bang! and one or two others anyway as they look so good!)

Games that might be too long or heavy with 6?
Some comments particularly about playing length with 6 players might rule out:

Dune, Railroad Tycoon, Alhambra, Power Grid, Junta.

Games that I'm just gonna rule out!

Zendo (I'm scared!)
Shadows over Camelot ( I love the look of this, but my lot would insist on adding a house rule where they could all kill each other by turn two. Knizia's LOTR was an ugly hobbit massacre!)
Union Pacific ( I have an A.R. Moon train game already...)
Ricochet Robot (I immediately 'clicked' with this game! Now no one will play me)
Fist of Dragon stones( not sure why with this one, I just don't think it's quite what I'm looking for?)
Robo Rally (Like Formula De, I've played it enough that I'll just give it a miss on this occasion)

Games that made the cut!
Theme, playing time, weight, are all looking good to me:

Bohnanza (well, except the theme?),
Cosmic encounter (I'm hoping one of our players still has his copy)
Fearsome floors,
Acquire,
Hoity Toity,
Atlantic star/ show manager (I prefer the cruise ship theme, but apparently the show theme fits the gameplay better...),
Medici,
Mystery of the Abbey,
Elfenland,
Betrayal at House on the Hill. (my group love evil themes and betrayal... could be perfect)

The final decision then, will be on price and availabilty (or is that e-baylability? There's some luck involved, even in this game!)

If the night turns into 5 player, we'll probably play mostly the same games, but Puerto Rico will replace something no doubt.

Thanks all again, I'll buy a BGG supporters badge because of this!

Russ.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ρύπρεχτ
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never played it with six, but Tichu comes with an extra deck specifically for playing with six. Maybe someone here has played it with six and can comment?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Avtges
United States
Bridgewater
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
CONCEALED -3
badge
It's not easy being green.
mbmbmbmbmb
I will recommend Hoity Toity. I really enjoy that game, and it's great with 6. It's very easy to explain, lots of fun, and works very well with gamers and non-gamers alike.

And since it was mentioned, but didn't make your list, I'd second Diamant. It's become a standard for our group when there's a large group...play Diamant first, then break up into smaller groups. It might be a bit too quick for you, but if you're playing 7 games, perhaps having one quickie will let you make room for something bigger. Like, for example, the excellent Power Grid or one game which I just can't get onto the table anymore, UP. Everyone gives the reason you gave...but don't do it! It's a completely different game than Ticket to Ride, and a really good one, to boot!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Montero
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I'll take Manhattan in a garbage bag. With Latin written on it that says "It's hard to give a shit these days"
mbmbmbmbmb
zonkfish wrote:

Games that made the cut!
Theme, playing time, weight, are all looking good to me:

Bohnanza (well, except the theme?),
Cosmic encounter (I'm hoping one of our players still has his copy)
Fearsome floors,
Acquire,
Hoity Toity,
Atlantic star/ show manager (I prefer the cruise ship theme, but apparently the show theme fits the gameplay better...),
Medici,
Mystery of the Abbey,
Elfenland,
Betrayal at House on the Hill. (my group love evil themes and betrayal... could be perfect)

The final decision then, will be on price and availabilty (or is that e-baylability? There's some luck involved, even in this game!)

Many games that say they play 6 don't really play 6 very well.

Fearsome Floors is not any meatier than Settlers: it'll just have a lot more downtime unless you play with a timer.

Good luck finding Atlantic Star/Showmanager quickly and for a reasonable price. The game works well with 6 though.

Elfenland is a good game, but it really doesn't work all that well with 6. The game drags on forever, and the luck element will dwarf anything else.

Mystery of the Abbey loses any semblance of a controlled environment with so many players.

If you get Betrayal, I hope you print all the errata, and get lucky with the scenarios. It's hard enough to get a balanced scenario for 4 players... for 6, every scenario I know but 2 is completely imbalanced in favor of the heroes... One of the other two doesn't have a traitor, and the other is just unwinnable. I played this one 5 times, looking for a game in there... I'd not touch it again with a 10 foot pole.

Hoity Toity with 6 will be very chaotic, but Hoity Toity is always chaotic anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timb
United States
Anniston
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hibikir wrote:
If you get Betrayal, I hope you print all the errata, and get lucky with the scenarios. It's hard enough to get a balanced scenario for 4 players... for 6, every scenario I know but 2 is completely imbalanced in favor of the heroes... One of the other two doesn't have a traitor, and the other is just unwinnable. I played this one 5 times, looking for a game in there... I'd not touch it again with a 10 foot pole.

Personally I love Betrayal, but it does have play balance issues. Basically I (and the other players I play with) get into the theme and ham up the whole B-movie horror aspect. We aren't all upset if the scenario we play is unbalanced toward one side or the other. As Hibikir said, with more players the game is often unbalance toward the side of the heroes, but as long as the traitor is a good sport that usually isn't a big problem. There's still an epic struggle and in the end, most of the players at the table win.

If you're looking for other ideas, Tom and Joe from The Dice Tower did their top ten list last week on just this question. Here's a link to their suggestions.

http://www.thedicetower.com/dicetower/topten36.htm

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.