Subject: Battle Cry: My first (admittedly light) war game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
April Bolin Stoner
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools

Todd Goff and I played this at Brogfest. (See Geek list for more info: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/13196). He managed to convince me to play Battle Cry by telling me I could be the South in a game about the Civil War. I am a history buff, especially US Revolutionary War and Civil War eras. (Never learned much about most of the battles outside of SC, though).

I have never been a war gaming fan, never even agreed to play one, so when I attended Brogfest, I expected to spend most of the weekend site-seeing or playing Euro games. I did not plan to play anything remotely resembling a war game. Todd had other ideas. I knew my friend Craig (who didn’t go so he could clean his house!) would be falling over in shock. He’s been trying to get me to play anything like this for three years and I have always refused.

The map and the pieces were a nice surprise. Every other consim game I’d been watching all weekend had huge maps with little grids and even littler, flat, square pieces. This one had a map with large grids and well constructed 3-D pieces. I set up my side of the battlefield with a lot more anticipation that I wouldn’t have expected. Todd dealt the cards and we were off to battle. It took me a little while to catch on, and the trouncing I was expecting started to shape up immediately. Between my inexperience, very poor dice rolls, even worse card selection, and Todd’s great luck with dice and cards and his experience with this sort of game, Todd was very quickly up 5 flags to 1. At this point, Todd apparently decided to take pity on me, and held back for two rounds on an attack that would have finished me off. I used those two rounds for all they were worth and came back to defeat him 6 flags to 5. I am still not sure how I managed to do this.

Todd told me that because of the differences in the setup of the two sides, many players will play a war game twice, switching to the other side after the first battle. I enjoyed the game and was up for trying out the Yankee side, so we played a second game, with me playing the North. This time Todd didn’t hold back, but my luck improved and I had started to figure out some of the things that would help me win. I took out his cannons almost immediately with a very luck shot (both dice came up to defeat his cannons), then decimated his right flank. All of this took place in the first three or four rounds. At the same time, he wasn’t having such good luck with the dice and cards this time out. Apparently most or all of his cards were attacks from his left flank (to my right). I pretty much ignored his attack on my right flank (there wasn’t much there and the cards weren’t coming up there for me anyway). While he pecked away at my right flank, I finished him off from the center. I was quite excited about my little victory and was looking forward to playing the game again when I got home. I was so sure Craig had, but I discovered that he’d traded it away at a gaming convention last year! Oh, well. Guess I’ll have to try a different war game, now. Sigh.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
A nice little mini-review April.

Battle Cry is the first in a series of three games using the same system. Memoir '44 deals with World War II and the newley released Commands & Colors: Ancients has the Rome Versus Carthage wars. The system is the same. Both of these are available and I suspect you might like them. I'd go for Memoir '44 first and if you two like it, then add the Ancients version to your collection.

Well done on kicking some butt!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.