Jessica
United States
Westfield
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Players: Ron, Shane, Tyler, Jessica

This was our second time playing this. It was much more enjoyable the second time since we decided to play to 100 VPs instead of 50.

I started out with Livestock (the one that stays during decline) and Agriculture. I entered the board on the bottom right since it seemed to have a fair amount of farmland for me to use.

I don't remember what everybody else had, but I do know Shane had diplomacy which drove me nuts because I wanted to conquer some of his farmland, but he keep using diplomacy on me. Since I wasn't getting anywhere because of that, I put my civilization into decline and started a new one with Field General and Slavery. This seemed like a fairly good combination to have since I got extra tokens to attack with and then earned VPs for doing it. However, I couldn't expand as much as I would like since I had to give back the extra 7 tokens and I was starting to get harassed by Ron because I was starting to pull away on the VP track.

Shane had also put his civilization into decline. Ron's civilization was in between my new one and Shane's declining one, but since I was seen as such a threat he focused on hammering me into the ground. Since he did that, Shane had a huge declining empire just sitting there gaining him VP and he caught up quickly on the VP track. The game ended shortly after that with Shane and I tied for first place with 104 points. I don't think next time we'll let someones decling civilization sit around and collect VP since it was clearly what helped Shane gain so much momentum to pass up everybody on the VP track. IMO, still a good game, but I need to play it a few more times to see how annoyed I'll become by open VPs. We might need to start playing with hidden VPs as others have suggested or maybe its more like Power Grid where you don't want to be the person in the lead - just want to hang back in the middle of the pack and then make your move. It just seems like that could be much harder to do in this game without the help of others to keep the leader at bay.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.