Tony Nardo
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there an automated feature that moves topics that mention a specific game from "Gaming Related->General Gaming" into the game-specific forums for that title?

A few minutes ago I saw a thread for Napoleon in Europe, asking for confirmation of Funagain Games' claim that the game was currently being reprinted.

In the time it took me to pose the author's question elsewhere, the thread was moved from "Gaming Related->General Gaming" to "Napoleon in Europe->General Articles".

This is not the first time I've seen a game move from "Gaming Related->General Gaming" to "[NameOfGame]->General Gaming".

So... is this an automated feature? If so, can it be turned off? And, if its being done manually, could the thread movement be done just a bit less aggressively?

Not everyone subscribes to additions to a game's forum. The "General Gaming" area provides the best exposure for quick rumor confirmation/denial of this type.

Moving the thread in this manner achieves the worst of all worlds, as threads moved in this manner do not seem to trigger the "new material" alert in a game. There is apparently no message provided to the originator of the thread that the topic has been moved. The net effect to the uninitiated is that the thread appears to have been deleted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
United States
Carpentersville
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the opposite opinion. I've seen the same question get asked 4 times in a 2 day period because it scrolls off the general forum. The NiE question you mention would have been lost within 6 hours. IMHO, its best to associate questions about that game with that game.

edit
and this question isn't about gaming but about BGG so it needs to move too laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Nardo
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps, but shouldn't that be the decision of the poster, rather than occuring as some randomly timed event?

As I said, the current situation creates a "worst of both worlds" scenario: the thread disappears from one forum area where it was visible, and reappears in a different area without generating a "new material" notice on the game.

Further, don't forget that just because an item scrolls off a list doesn't mean you can't still find it with "Search". But if the topic is moved, that is no longer true -- the entry disappears from the general forum "search" database.

edit
Quote:
and this question isn't about gaming but about BGG so it needs to move too

Just so long as it doesn't get appended to the Napoleon in Europe thread... devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Smiles
United States
Dedham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
admin
The ratio of people to cake is too big.
badge
Excuse me, I believe you have my stapler...
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't move the thread in question, but I move threads to their appropriate places when necessary. It isn't an automated process, it's done by one of the moderators.

The solution isn't to leave threads posted in the wrong location. The solution is to have Aldie edit the notification process so moved threads show up as new content.

If someone has a question about a specific game, the appropriate place to go is the forum section for that game. It is not to do a search in the general gaming forums.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judging from others' posts, it seems like it would be a good idea to notify the originator of the thread when it moves so they're not left asking where the heck their threads are.

Nick

Edit: fixed spelling so I don't look so stupid.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Nardo
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed. The author should be notified as to where & why the thread was moved so he/she can avoid repeating the mistake. I'd add the suggestion that notification of the thread movement should be posted on the thread itself, so that it will trigger the attention of any subscribers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Martin
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed. Moved threads should leave some kind of notification or redirector in their original location which points to the new location. Threads should never just vanish by being moved.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.