Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Ten Unwritten (until I wrote them down) Rules of Wyatt Earp.

I recently realized I became somewhat of an elitist concerning Wyatt Earp. I hear stories about people showing up to a Bridge or Go club and getting the cold shoulder because they aren’t “good” enough or don’t conform to club traditions and expectations.

Much to my shame, I have realized if there were a Wyatt Earp club, I would be the one looking down my nose and rolling my eyes at the newbie mistakes.

I am confessing these sins and humbling myself so that I might rejoin the ranks of people who play Wyatt Earp for fun. It feels so good the get this off my chest.

If you are curious, here’re the things you could have done to make me roll my eyes back when I was unrepentant, or “The Ten Unwritten Rules of Wyatt Earp”.

1. Never let an opponent get a huge reward all by themselves. Pretty obvious, but following this rule keeps one player from getting too much of a lead. Do whatever you can to spread the wealth, even if you’re not necessarily getting any of it.

2. Do not let huge rewards sit to the next hand. This is less obvious but still important. This is the single biggest cause of chaos in the game (even more so than the “shots”). If a big reward survives to the next hand, it’s only going to get bigger and now you are playing the Lottery instead of Wyatt Earp. Win the reward, spread the money around, anything, just don’t let the cash sit.

3. Don’t play Hideouts early in the hand. Why? Because you don’t know who the threat is yet. Hideouts are best played right before you go out.

4. Never steal an Outlaw card with a Most Wanted unless you intend to play it that turn. Trust me; it will just get stolen back.

5. Don’t pick a face up Outlaw card without playing him or her that turn. See rule number 4.

6. Never play a set of Outlaw cards before you play a Wyatt Earp card to draw more cards. What if you draw more Outlaws of the same type you just played? That’s $1,000 less dollars reward, greenhorn.

7. Get your shooting done before you exhaust the Draw Pile for the first time. Your chances of getting a shot the first time through the deck are better than 60%. But the second time through the deck, most of the Outlaws will have been played and you’ll find you’re running low on ammo.

8. Play a Sheriff card and make your discard a Sheriff too. Sheriff cards are the biggest obstacle to going out first. Unless you have very few Sheriffs cycle them out of your hand as fast as possible. A Sheriff in the office is just wasting tax-payer dollars.

9. Get a finger in every pie you can. Rewards are mainly split up evenly with the player who contributed the most capture points only getting one extra thousand. If you focus on getting one big reward all to yourself you are putting a big bulls-eye on your forehead.

10. Never, never start singing “The Ballad of Jesse James” when you DRAW him from the deck. What are you, some kind of “newb”? Singing when you PLAY him on the other hand is a totally different story.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
mb
This is all fine and good, but I've seen more than one game suffer from the problems of #1 and #2, just due to the way the cards come out. Sometimes, there aren't enough cards in play to split the reward on an outlaw, and if you're not getting the right cards to prevent the reward money from piling up, then it's just going to KEEP piling up.

Otherwise, this is all very good advice. Maybe now I won't end up in last place every time I play the game....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Clarke
New Zealand
Auckland
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great post.

However I am a little disappointed that you don't list the most important unwritten rule of Wyatt Earp...

"When you take a shot you MUST make sound effects. A "Fa-chiiiiiinnnnngggggg!!!!" for a successful shot, and a "Fchck-chk-chk" for a dud shot.

SURELY this is universal, and not just our group???

BC
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nothing but static
New Zealand
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
our group is the universe

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Verkisto wrote:
This is all fine and good, but I've seen more than one game suffer from the problems of #1 and #2, just due to the way the cards come out. Sometimes, there aren't enough cards in play to split the reward on an outlaw, and if you're not getting the right cards to prevent the reward money from piling up, then it's just going to KEEP piling up.

I guess my milage has been different. I've not had hardly any problems due to card distribution. Not every player will get in on every captured Outlaw, but it's always been quite easy to stop one player from dominating one Outlaw or at least exploit their narrow focus to get a monopoly on a different Outlaw.

A lot of the other unwritten rules actually help prevent #'s 1 and 2 from occuring, namely prudent use of the Hideout and getting fingers in all the pies you can.

We also enter into a lot of informal collusions during the game. For example, if two players are sharing an Outlaw's reward, they will be less of a focus for other players' ire (unless the reward is huge at which point it depends on whether the two players are winning or losing overall). There is a lot of teaming up with others at the right time and/or suddenly riding others' coattails after they've expended their energy on other pursuits.

Quote:
Otherwise, this is all very good advice. Maybe now I won't end up in last place every time I play the game....

Following the unwritten rules will guaruntee at least 3rd place (in a three player game).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bwtcf wrote:
Great post.

However I am a little disappointed that you don't list the most important unwritten rule of Wyatt Earp...

"When you take a shot you MUST make sound effects. A "Fa-chiiiiiinnnnngggggg!!!!" for a successful shot, and a "Fchck-chk-chk" for a dud shot.

SURELY this is universal, and not just our group???

BC

Wyatt Earp is a serious game and should not be denigrated with sound effects. That's what Bang! is for.

The fact that some of the Outlaws have theme songs should not be construed as disrespect on our parts to the noble game of Wyatt Earp.

"Now, Jesse had a wife, lived a lady all her life..."

"What a marvelous night for a Sundance..."

or

"Billy, don't be hero..."

Though certain members of our group are guilty of saying "BAM!" in a voice loud enough to burst ear drums when making a key shot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.