Hansa» Forums » General

Subject: Hansa coins rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Erik McCrea
United States
Nevada
flag msg tools
Hi! I'm new to the group; I'm basically a coin collector. What do the Hansa coins have written on them? It's probably in a foreign language, though...maybe "Hanseatic League" or something similar? Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall P.
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
"Nothing in Biology Makes Sense Except in the Light of Evolution" - Theodosius Dobzhansky
badge
There is grandeur in this view of life, whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been, and are being, evolved.
mbmbmbmbmb
You know they're cardboard right?

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/92703

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik McCrea
United States
Nevada
flag msg tools
Hi! Thanks for the reply- I did know they were cardboard; I actually love cardboard coins, plastic coins, coins made of anything really, as long as they "function" like real coins.
I'm specifically looking for game-coins that come from fantasy countries, imaginary lands.
I think I saw the image you provided in the image files, but I couldn't make out the writing. Maybe it's Latin.
Does the coin look exactly the same on both sides? or is the other side blank or different?
Thanks again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hawks
United States
Apple Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The coins are the same on both sides. I couldn't tell you about the writing.

Also, each player's moneybag tile appears to have a different coin pictured on it...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leighton
England
Peterborough
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is definitely latin - it begins SIGILLV... but the writing isn't very clear. I guess it may well be a version of the Elbing seal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Grundy
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mega late comment on this:
The money bags each show a different coin, and the lettering is similar but somewhat clearer than the coins. Especially the grey moneybag is fairly clear. A number of the charaters are greek letters.

I am of the honest opinion they are essentially nonsensical. But you'd have to ask the artist. Which happens to be Michael Schacht.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.