PO
Australia
Strathfield
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is just an idea.
I don't have the design skills to make said hut tiles, but if someome does & they want to run with it, then that would be cool.

I've looked at the Spielbox new huts & the idea is that either you get an additional resource each round or you get a one off increase in people/food/tools.

My idea is to have huts that provide the player with an addition worker placement option.
When a player builds one of these huts, they then have the ability to place one of there workers on the hut to gain a benefit.

E.g.

- 4 food
- 3 wood
- 2 stone
- 2 brick
- 1 gold
- 3 tool points to be spent in the current round

Mostly the benefit is the guarantee of a resource instead of rolling for it.

As I said, it's really just an idea at this stage.
Any constructive thoughts would be great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Bohm
United States
Appleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
if those values proposed are for placing one worker, that is definitely way too much of a benefit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PO
Australia
Strathfield
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aaron,

Thanks for taking a look & giving your thoughts.
My thought is that the huts don't have any immediately VP value for themselves.
The actual values will need to be weighed to ensure that they don't unbalance the game.
I haven't played with this, it was really just an idea I had.
It may bear no fruit at all & is so, that's fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Jamelli
United States
Chambersburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the idea, but I agree with Aaron that some of those have too much of a benefit for one worker. I initially thought giving 1 worker a guaranteed 6 for 1 gold was somewhat unfair, but you're also overvaluing other worker pips - 1 worker for 8 food pips, 9 wood pips, 8 brick pips and a whopping 10 pip option for 2 stone.

I think your heart is in the right place, but this is something that Stone Age: The New Huts has already done.

There are three huts that give the player 1 of each resource each round, although there is no "gold" hut.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PO
Australia
Strathfield
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Max,

With the New Huts, players just gets one guaranteed resource for some of the huts.

What I'm proposing is players having to choose to commit one of their workers to a hut they have purchased if they want to gain the resource(s) on offer.

Since this requires the use of a worker, I thought that it should gain more resources than the New Huts. The building cost, any possible VP gained from the purchase & the exact number of resources needs to be thought out to try to ensure that it's balanced.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Jamelli
United States
Chambersburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Paul65 wrote:
Max,

With the New Huts, players just gets one guaranteed resource for some of the huts.

What I'm proposing is players having to choose to commit one of their workers to a hut they have purchased if they want to gain the resource(s) on offer.

Since this requires the use of a worker, I thought that it should gain more resources than the New Huts. The building cost, any possible VP gained from the purchase & the exact number of resources needs to be thought out to try to ensure that it's balanced.

The new huts give you that resource every round though - which is already rather powerful. Giving more, even with the use of a worker, just looks like it's overpowered. When I play I don't get caught up in the whole "odds of rolling x amount of pips" thing like others do - but when you're giving someone 10 pips worth of stone with 1 worker, that seems like a lot. If you wanted to go that route, I would think the hut itself would have to cost 5 stone to build and be worth 5 VP at the end.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PO
Australia
Strathfield
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can see what you're saying and agree with the danger of them being over powered.

The huts don't have to necessarily be a direct claim of a resource. They could, for instance, improve your ability to obtain a resource by discounting the divider by one e.g. when rolling for wood, the value rolled is divided by 2 instead of 3.

There could also be trading, if it doesn't complicate things too much, where players pay resources (maybe food) to use another players hut. Maybe one food for each worker.

Any other thought are welcome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
d b
United States
De Forest
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
The road is full of flat squirrels, who couldn't make up their mind.
badge
I taught my dog to play Mage Knight... good dog.
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like turning Stone Age into The Manhattan Project Check out the espionage track. (and building buildings on your own player board)

It could be called the Stone Age Project. cool Possibly a sequel to the Manhattan Project. After everyone has been bombed into the stone age. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PO
Australia
Strathfield
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe.

I suppose that the start of all this was that I couldn't imagine stone age man just building huts to score points.

Thematically, surely the purpose behind the hut construction would be to provide a place where some function of village life occurred.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Jamelli
United States
Chambersburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Paul65 wrote:
I can see what you're saying and agree with the danger of them being over powered.

The huts don't have to necessarily be a direct claim of a resource. They could, for instance, improve your ability to obtain a resource by discounting the divider by one e.g. when rolling for wood, the value rolled is divided by 2 instead of 3.

There could also be trading, if it doesn't complicate things too much, where players pay resources (maybe food) to use another players hut. Maybe one food for each worker.

Any other thought are welcome.

Do you mean trading among players? The trading aspect of Stone Age: The Expansion I think kills the game -- especially when you get the system to trade you 2 golds for 1 wood.

I do like the idea of a discount for a hut. A hut that costs 5 wood gives you a -1 on wood pips (so a 12 gets you 6 wood vs 4). That's worth exploring I think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JonnyRotten
United States
Montpelier
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Style is the goal has somewhat similar huts (on top of the huts from The New Huts expansion).

You can put up to three workers on the to collect the goods, but you do it at one less collection cost (so 2 pips for wood).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Jamelli
United States
Chambersburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jgilmour wrote:
Style is the goal has somewhat similar huts (on top of the huts from The New Huts expansion).

You can put up to three workers on the to collect the goods, but you do it at one less collection cost (so 2 pips for wood).

I've only played Style once ... I thought something like that rang a bell, but I couldn't tell from looking at the pictures here online.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PO
Australia
Strathfield
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok - thanks for the info. I haven't played Style is the Goal and am not sure that I'll get the chance. I took a very quick look at pictures from the expansion, but I didn't notice any functional huts apart from the New Huts from the mini expansion. Will have to take another look.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls