Popular Tags: [View All]
Golden Lotus
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Pope John XXII remains a controversial figure in the church. His goal of increasing the influence of the Christian church in society at large has long been at odds with some of the more spiritual members of the clergy, who feel the church’s role should be as advisor and councilor rather than co-ruler. Division within the church had reached the point where the secular authority in the form of the King of the Holy Roman Empire, was weighing in on the side of the spiritualists, mostly drawn from the Franciscan brotherhood.

Late in 1327, negotiations between the two factions had been planned ahead of a meeting between the Pope himself and the Franciscan’s representative, Michael of Cesena. This secret meeting was disrupted. The representatives never returned and the church where they met was found to be have been destroyed by fire. Michael of Cesena did go to Avignon to meet the Pope but no progress was made toward a compromise and the Franciscan was detained at Avignon for over a year.

Meanwhile, tales of dark deeds and of heretical teachings spread across Europe. The Inquisition is at large to bring order to this chaos and smite the evil with righteous fire. They seek it out with a zealous energy.

Which brings us to our present tale. We find ourselves at a quiet church, serene in its surroundings, on the road to Pisa, Italy. It is February 1329 and evil is about to visit.

This is a follow-up to my original Name of the Wolf game. Once again, the monks and nuns of the 14th Century will battle with their wits and their faith against the unspeakable evil and also against each other.

The basics:

The game will commence on March 29th 2006 (I may send out roles the day before) with the first lynch on that day.

Each day will end with a soul given over to the Inquisition. The player with the most votes will be eliminated. To vote for a player, please bold the statement and put it on a separate line from any cluttering text. Ties will be broken by the first to reach and keep that number of votes. Votes will be counted up until the deadline of 3pm BGG (4pm Eastern, 1pm Pacific). While minor editing for typos, etc. is permitted, please do not edit vote posts. If you are changing votes, please unvote your previous choice before voting anew.

Night will then fall. Conversation may continue until a “dawn is approaching” post from the Moderator, at which point all posting will cease. Dawn will break with the announcement of which player was killed by the werewolves in the night and will be no later than 5pm BGG (6pm Eastern, 3pm Pacific).

The game will end when either all the werewolves are dead or they have reached parity with the humans, at which point they can rise up openly. Some players have personal victory conditions.

The roles:

15 Players.

Roles will not be revealed upon death, only whether they are werewolf or human. Edit: Roles will not be revealed at all except to the Priest.

3 Werewolves: know each other and may PM freely (please cc: the moderator). They will PM the Moderator their choice of kill each night. The werewolves win if they can achieve parity with the humans. One of the Werewolves is a Brutal Werewolf and kills one of those voting for him if he is lynched (werewolf’s choice).

Head Inquisitor: Each night he may PM the moderator with the name of a player and find out if they are a Werewolf or a Heretic. Lynching at least one of the Heretics is a personal victory for the Inquisitor. Killing all the werewolves is a major victory.

Inquisitor: He sees the signs of impurity: he will learn if the dead humans are Heretics. If the Head Inquisitor dies without revealing before day 3, then the Inquisitor gains his seer-like power (which means he will learn who had this role also). He does not gain knowledge of whom the Head Inquisitor viewed however. Lynching at least one of the Heretics is a personal victory, killing the werewolves is a major victory.

Heretic: Knows the identity of the other Heretic. Loses if caught by the Inquisition (that is to say, lynched). Otherwise, wins with the other monks if all the Werewolves are caught.

Heretic Martyr: Knows the identity of the other Heretic. May sacrifice themselves to save another: each night may PM the name of another player. If that player is also the Werewolves’ target, the Martyr dies instead. Loses if caught by the Inquisition.

Priest: While Inquisitor and Heretic fight, one neutral soul tends to the dead. Each night, he learns the roles of those that recently passed on.

7 Novices: normal humans, they seek harmony in a disharmonious world.

Other information:

The werewolves have PM privileges and may PM freely. All other roles may not (including Heretics, even though they know each other).

Post questions for the Moderator to the thread in red so I will see them more easily. You may also PM questions to me.

If a role does not submit a night order to me in time, I will choose randomly (wolf, inquisitor) or will choose to be inactive (martyr).

Players not posting to the thread on the first day (without prior approval from the Moderator) will be replaced if possible. Otherwise they will die of fright or old age. Obviously I would prefer to avoid these situations, so please do not sign up if you are unsure that you will have the time to play.

Conditional votes: I will allow a conditional vote to save yourself. I will NOT allow people to tie their votes to another player. Other conditional votes will be taken on a case-by-case basis. I will try to be accommodating, within reason.

Self-voting is allowed. Such penitence seems in theme. What the other players will think of it is another matter.

You may vote nightfall to lock in your vote for the day. A day may end early if enough people do this and the Moderator is available. I will be more lax on those submitting night orders if such an event occurs.

Role revealing is permitted (in fact encouraged) but directly quoting PMs from the Moderator is not. You will have to use your powers of persuasion to convince the other players of your truthfulness.

1. Royalflush - confirmed
2. Kimapesan - confirmed
3. Jmilum - confirmed
4. Janiera - confirmed
5. Greek2Me - confirmed
6. Latria - confirmed
7. CapAp - confirmed
8. Xandryyte - confirmed
9. Geniesse - confirmed
10. Rasattack - Ron Stuckel - confirmed
11. GuyHill - confirmed
12. Vidarrr - confirmed
13. Denise - confirmed
14. Jaredh - confirmed
15. Lauramath - confirmed

Alternates:
1. Javal

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Golden Lotus
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Re: Name of the Wolf part two: 15 players, starting March 29th
Thanks to Jaredh and Melsana for their help and advice putting this game together. Their game balancer web page is really good too (and I updated the guidelines on how to use it, so you have no excuse).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MK
United States
Coshocton
OH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fabulous. I only regret not being the first player to sign up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Golden Lotus
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
kimapesan wrote:
Fabulous. I only regret not being the first player to sign up.

I should thank you for losing memory, it gave me time to finish this up today.

RF PM'd me to be first. I hadn't gotten the roles/rules togther properly, all I had done was put it on the calendar. So he signed up before I did. wow

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Likens
United States
Cornelius
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
shugyosha wrote:
RF PM'd me to be first. I hadn't gotten the roles/rules togther properly, all I had done was put it on the calendar. So he signed up before I did. wow

Hehe

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
me too

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy O'Neal
United States
Mechanicsville
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Name of the Wolf part two: 15 players, starting March 29
I'm in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
She-Hulk
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Count me in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy O'Neal
United States
Mechanicsville
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You're not allowed to be a wolf again this time... laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SH W
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Why is this fabulous game starting along with Bewitched 5?

I'm in. But I beg for maybe a slightly later (or earlier) date.

But I'm in no matter what.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John So-And-So
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
badge
You and the Cap'n make it hap'n
mbmbmbmbmb
OH YEAH!

I'm in if there's room.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terri K
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
Good golly people... my username has a lower case x!!
badge
Females play board games too!!! ;)
mbmbmbmbmb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
California
flag msg tools
Really, there should be weekdays, weekends, and cuddle days.
badge
You're not fooling me, because I can see the way you shake and shiver.
mbmbmbmbmb
I really enjoyed the first one. Please count me in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terri K
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
Good golly people... my username has a lower case x!!
badge
Females play board games too!!! ;)
mbmbmbmbmb
Geniesse wrote:
I really enjoyed the first one. Please count me in.

vote Geniesse I still have nightmares...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Rasmussen
United States
Bountiful
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
Kisu~
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
California
flag msg tools
Really, there should be weekdays, weekends, and cuddle days.
badge
You're not fooling me, because I can see the way you shake and shiver.
mbmbmbmbmb
One question: in the writeup, a Priest is metioned as having a neutral soul. Does this mean that he is playing for his own team, and if so, how does he win?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A.N. Onymous
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in! I really liked the atmosphere from the first game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vidar Ambrosiani
Sweden
Nyköping
Södermanland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Me as well...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Valvard
msg tools
Spread the conFUDsion wherever you can...
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like in as well, shug...
Latria - I didn't want to clash with other games either, and blue is planning to run one of his brand of Bewitched a couple of weeks later. shug got there first, so I'll shift B5 if it seems better to separate the two.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Golden Lotus
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
janiera wrote:
You're not allowed to be a wolf again this time... laugh

Er...he wasn't a wolf last time, Jan.

No guarantees about this time around.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Golden Lotus
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Latria wrote:
Why is this fabulous game starting along with Bewitched 5?

I'm in. But I beg for maybe a slightly later (or earlier) date.

But I'm in no matter what.

I picked my date quite carefully. Survivor 2, To Crown a King and Star Trek were due to be running to their conclusions in the early part of the week, so I aimed for a Wednesday start. Bewitched 5 and HMS Defender were added after I signed my game in. If I push back a week or so, I start to clash with Melsana's game. I think it will work OK: my game is a little smaller and less rules heavy so I think we can co-exist peacefully.

I will bring up the lynch time: I have put 3pm BGG. I could go as late as 4pm BGG but with a shorter night. I cannot do an evening lynch time - once in the game perhaps, but not every night. I mostly mention this for Latria, Xand and Janiera, who have already signed up but I just want to make sure they know what they are getting into here.

I honestly didn't realize there was so much love out there for my little game; it wasn't until the Wolfy Awards came along that I thought about doing a follow-up. So thank Kima and Jmil for their encouragement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Golden Lotus
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Geniesse wrote:
One question: in the writeup, a Priest is metioned as having a neutral soul. Does this mean that he is playing for his own team, and if so, how does he win?

This refers to the Inquisition v. Heretic aspect. The Priest is neutral in this matter. He merely wants the werewolves sent back to Hell - he would prefer that the Chruch did not fight itself. He doesn't have a personal agenda and wins with the monks/humans.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MK
United States
Coshocton
OH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
shugyosha wrote:

I honestly didn't realize there was so much love out there for my little game; it wasn't until the Wolfy Awards came along that I thought about doing a follow-up. So thank Kima and Jmil for their encouragement.

Shug -

It's because your original game had all the elements necessary for a great game experience. Perfect theme; good narration; good balance of roles and abilities, never a sense that one side had all the advantages and the other didn't. I don't think there were any terrible mis-plays by the players, just bad guesses in lynch candidates (except me, I was the only bad guy they got, and I was only "evil-lite").

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SH W
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
shugyosha wrote:

I will bring up the lynch time: I have put 3pm BGG. I could go as late as 4pm BGG but with a shorter night. I cannot do an evening lynch time - once in the game perhaps, but not every night. I mostly mention this for Latria, Xand and Janiera, who have already signed up but I just want to make sure they know what they are getting into here.

I am still in if you don't mind that I am missing all the time except the early parts of the day. I had to miss this wonderful game the last time because of work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Golden Lotus
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Latria wrote:
I am still in if you don't mind that I am missing all the time except the early parts of the day. I had to miss this wonderful game the last time because of work.

I remember. I was expecting theological discussion from you.

I have no problem with it at all. Will a 4pm lynch help you out at all? (Not sure what time that is in your part of the world). Doesn't help Xand or Jan who are out till a little later than that. But if it doesn't help you, I'll keep it at 3pm and give the night people a little longer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.