Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game» Forums » News

Subject: New(?) Wave 3 pilot info rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Anderson
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hopefully this is not redundant, but I haven't seen info on these Wave 3 pilots anywhere else...

The Australian game store Milsims has put up pre-orders for wave 3 and in the the images you can see most of the card text for Ten Numb and Captain Jonus

Uncancellable Crits and re-rolled secondary attacks FTW!

FWIW here are the page links:

B-Wing: http://www.milsims.com.au/node/126968

Tie Bomber: http://www.milsims.com.au/node/126969

Lambda: http://www.milsims.com.au/node/126967

HWK-290: http://www.milsims.com.au/node/126966

Edit: added links to all ships

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cheng
Taiwan
Taipei City
n/a
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Cool! Thanks for the info.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Koontz
United States
Folsom
California
flag msg tools
I love those abilities even though I can't read all of it, but my imagination is running wild... Captain Jonus - When another friendly ship at range 1 attacks with a secondary weapon it may re-roll up to 3,720... DICES!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cheng
Taiwan
Taipei City
n/a
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
DarkLordCaedus wrote:
I love those abilities even though I can't read all of it, but my imagination is running wild... Captain Jonus - When another friendly ship at range 1 attacks with a secondary weapon it may re-roll up to 3,720... DICES!!!
Wow, don't realize FFG goes to such a great length to sell their dice set.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Ptak
United States
Livermore
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Captain Jonus eh? Named Imperial pilots are more interesting than the Rebel ones because you hardly hear of them. Jonus looks like a great squadron leader for other Bombers when attacking with multiples.

Ten Numb comes from the Rogue Leader comics. Veteran of Endor and Bakura, promoted to Blue Leader after Endor. The ability is really nice, though I wonder what the full text of the ability reads (can't be canceled by dice, or tokens?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Anderson
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Norsehound wrote:
Jonus looks like a great squadron leader for other Bombers when attacking with multiples.
Indeed - here come the bomber swarms!

Norsehound wrote:
I wonder what the full text of the ability reads (can't be canceled by dice, or tokens?)
Heh - I've tried to judge the "centredness" of that line of text to work out which one to the point of madness!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
maxam wrote:
Norsehound wrote:
Jonus looks like a great squadron leader for other Bombers when attacking with multiples.
Indeed - here come the bomber swarms!
That would be my initial thoughts - a nice boost to friendly's secondary attacks makes him a must-have for any Imperial list that wants to go heavy with their missiles.

But think about his interaction with the Firespray, too... *cough*HLC*cough*

MOST interesting, though...I wonder if these images have had any kind of color-correction pass on them? Because if not, YAY!

The TIE Bomber, here, has FAR less of that sickly blue hue that the initial photos had...

...vs...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Motz
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
B-Wing with Elite Pilot Talent! Score!

...and again, Salm is the only guy at Pilot Skill 8 who doesn't get an elite skill. He feels so left out!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric B.
United States
East Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One thing I don't like about these is that, as we suspected based on FFG's first teasers, the unique B-Wings and TIE Bombers get access to Elite Medals. I was really hoping they wouldn't and would follow suit with the Y-Wing precedence (less maneuverable craft don't have talents).

But not only that, we're now seeing Pilot Skill 6 pilots (Jonus and presumably "Blue Leader") with Medals, whereas none of the previous Pilot Skill 6 pilots had Medals (Chewie being the odd exception PS5 pilot to have one).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric B.
United States
East Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LazyJ wrote:
B-Wing with Elite Pilot Talent! Score!

...and again, Salm is the only guy at Pilot Skill 8 who doesn't get an elite skill. He feels so left out!
He's got Captain Kagi to keep him company...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
XanderF wrote:
Yep, I have a feeling that Krassis Trelix and Captain Jonus are going to become BFFs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kimchi fried rice
United States
Uptown
New York
flag msg tools
AKIMBO!
badge
반갑습니다!
mb
in regards to the blue color on the bombers (e.g. interceptors), i don't think the "packaged" product shot above is of the physical product.

looks more like a computer generated rendering, which may or may not reflect the color accurately.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klaus Musstermann
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RogueThirteen wrote:
(Chewie being the odd exception PS5 pilot to have one).
Chewie stole Salm's medal after Yavin to make up for not getting one at the ceremony.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Motz
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
iNano78 wrote:
XanderF wrote:
Yep, I have a feeling that Krassis Trelix and Captain Jonus are going to become BFFs.
BFG BFF's
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Impeachment time
mbmbmbmbmb
If you field Captain Jonus and Howlrunner just about everyone can reroll.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mundane wrote:
I think I'd prefer one or the other: go all primary with Howlrunner (TIE/Ln and TIE/In plus maybe Kath with Gunner) or go all secondary with Jonus (TIE Bombers, Krassis with HLC, maybe Vader with Assault Missiles).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
iNano78 wrote:
Mundane wrote:
I think I'd prefer one or the other: go all primary with Howlrunner (TIE/Ln and TIE/In plus maybe Kath with Gunner) or go all secondary with Jonus (TIE Bombers, Krassis with HLC, maybe Vader with Assault Missiles).
It does seem somewhat like Jonus has a similar ability to Howlrunner, but for secondaries. Curious if he will also be limited to 1 re-roll, or because secondaries tend to have so many dice thrown, he'll re-roll 2 of them?

In any case, it presents the option of a cloud of Empire fighters built around him in the same way wave 1 had a cloud of fighters around Howlrunner. IE., Jonus in a group of 4 or 5 TIE Bombers with various missiles and/or torpedoes, each.

(That said, once you run out of missiles/torpedoes on the other bombers, Jonus becomes somewhat useless. So I definitely see him flying alongside Lambdas or Firesprays - both with HLC - as a more useful role...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cory Jung
Canada
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
XanderF wrote:

It does seem somewhat like Jonus has a similar ability to Howlrunner, but for secondaries. Curious if he will also be limited to 1 re-roll, or because secondaries tend to have so many dice thrown, he'll re-roll 2 of them?
If you look at the wording, it's likely to be a multi-dice reroll. Howlrunner's wording goes: "may reroll 1 attack die."
Jonus says: "may reroll up t..."

No reason saying "up to" if it was only going to be one. So should be two or more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CoryJ wrote:
XanderF wrote:

If you look at the wording, it's likely to be a multi-dice reroll. Howlrunner's wording goes: "may reroll 1 attack die."
Jonus says: "may reroll up t..."

No reason saying "up to" if it was only going to be one. So should be two or more.
Good point!

Thinking out loud, a bit...given we have what must be surely the second-tier TIE Bomber 'spoiled' (Gamma Squadron, with PS4, at 18pts), that means we still have yet to see the 'cheap' (PS1) TIE Bomber. Assuming this is something like the Saber/Alpha-squadron ratio or Black/Academy ratio (6/7 for the PS1 vs the PS4), that would make the 'cheap' bomber something like 15 or 16 points. Give each one a cluster missile and a concussion missile for 8 more points...should let you run 4 bombers so loaded, easily (assuming Jonus isn't more than 20/24 pts).

That's...that's quite a lot of missiles!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Kinney

Iowa
msg tools
mbmbmb
Scimitar Squadron Pilot costs 16 points and is PS 2. I'm estimating Jonus will cost 22 due to having PS6, an ability, and an EPT.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klaus Musstermann
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Still good enough for three double-missiled mooks led by Jonus, with 6 points to spare to give Jonus...maybe Shield Upgrade and Determination because he's a clear target like Howlrunner. 6 hull gives Determination some solid odds of doing something in the match. Probably a bad squad but certainly an entertaining one.

Personally I'd go with double Clusters on each mook for A) more shots means more Jonus power use and B) the Itano Circus fun factor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SuperKlaus wrote:
Still good enough for three double-missiled mooks led by Jonus, with 6 points to spare to give Jonus...maybe Shield Upgrade and Determination because he's a clear target like Howlrunner. 6 hull gives Determination some solid odds of doing something in the match. Probably a bad squad but certainly an entertaining one.

Personally I'd go with double Clusters on each mook for A) more shots means more Jonus power use and B) the Itano Circus fun factor.
Clusters only shoot out to range '2', though - I was thinking a mix of cluster and concussion (range '3') missiles would give them some capability for periods in the battle when the range is higher.

The real trick is the need to get a lock to fire the seeking weapons. It means that, without any means to do double actions, they aren't going to be firing super effectively (lock + focus) unless they shoot every other turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric B.
United States
East Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hothie wrote:
Scimitar Squadron Pilot costs 16 points and is PS 2. I'm estimating Jonus will cost 22 due to having PS6, an ability, and an EPT.
I suspect he'll be 21 points. As of yet, no unique or generic pilots have had to "pay" for their access to Elite Pilot Talents but rather just seem to get that access for free. Uniques (with the exception of Tycho, for whatever reason) cost one more point than what their generic Pilot Skill Version would cost, but haven't costed extra for having EPT access. Similarly, generics with EPT access like Black Squadron Pilot and Green Squadron Pilot don't seem to cost extra for that access either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lando
msg tools
XanderF wrote:

The real trick is the need to get a lock to fire the seeking weapons. It means that, without any means to do double actions, they aren't going to be firing super effectively (lock + focus) unless they shoot every other turn.
Everyone keeps forgetting the lowly BSP with squad leader. While not very thematic, it is a 16 point flying action carrier... Also, Vader as a missile carrier and squad leader is still very effective. Vader + 2 bombers all kitted up with missiles would be scary to fly against. Adv torps on both bombers + 3 total concussion missiles. Hell yeah

ETA:

Vader + Squad leader and homing missile
36 points

Gamma squadron pilot + adv torpedoes + concussion missile + concussion missile
32 points

Gamma squadron pilot + adv torpedoes + concussion missile + concussion missile
32 points

Total: 100 points

I will want to run this list at least once, just to see the firey blasting missile carnage that will ensue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Impeachment time
mbmbmbmbmb
The problem with BSP and Squad Leader is he can only give orders to PS 1-3 pilots.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |