United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
(Some of what follows refers to units that don't yet exist -- we're still playtesting the Dwarves!)

Darwin and I did the last bit of work we had on the Elves of Ravenwood print preparation so we decided to spend the afternoon testing our current playtest army of dwarves against the Undead. We went for a 3,000 point battle.

I like to take fairly balanced forces but I did want some guys that would match up well against a high-toughness army so I went for a fairly broad range of infantry types that included three Miners. The Miners are generally second-string as Dwarven warriors go but they have a power of seven so they can punch through Zombies and match up really well (value-for-pointswise) against guys like Giant Catapults. I also took three bowmen and one Ballista unit.

Darwin went for a very uniform army -- a front line of Zombies (including a Zombie Troll unit in the middle) with a Skeleton Troll unit at each flank, backed up by three Giant Catapults. I think his hope was that having maximum range power would work well against my slow-moving line and that when my Dwarves inevitably beat up his Zombies the Giants would be more than happy to fill up the line.

The early part of the game was pretty straightfoward. We both advanced our lines, with some jockeying of position as I tried to get my spearmen faced off against his trolls. He was able to avoid this, but only as the cost of some command actions so it was about even. Darwin's Giants chucked rocks at my ranged units. Meanwhile, my ranged units concentrated mostly on his Zombie Trolls so he was only able to have them engage while still in the green by spending a lot of command actions.

When battle was joined it went very badly for the undead forces. Zombies are great units for their cost but they simply could not stand up against Dwarven warriors. Some died, causing others to get pinched and wiped out. Darwin was able to get one of my Longbeard units hit on the flank by his Skeleton Trolls, but that wasn't going to be enough. Soon his Giants were engaged and generally under unfavorable conditions and his line fell apart completely.

After the game we went over what had been an unusually one-sided slaughter. Our conclusion was that Darwin had erred in part with his setup, which involved a front line that was almost unit-for-unit outclassed -- he would have been better off upgrading some of his Zombie units and letting the Giants be part of the front line rather than holding them back. The other error was going after my ranged units which weren't that effective against his forces anyway (other than the ballista which would always be at long range). He should instead have concentrated his fire on one of my front-line units and tried to break it (just as I did to him).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Borges
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, what a rout! The Dwarves sound pretty good, even not considering how this battle turned out. Can't wait to see the imagery for them and some of their special abilities.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crane
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"he was only able to have them engage while still in the green"

Heh. Does that refer to relatively "fresh" zombies?

I have to buy this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.