Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve McIlhatton
New Zealand
Palmerston North
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, I'm looking at trying one of the games in this series.

Any recommendations a to which one is the most accessible?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mary Weisbeck
United States
Black Hawk
South Dakota
flag msg tools
"Blow up the damned ship, Jean-Luc!"
mbmbmbmbmb
It's just my opinion, but I think DVONN and YINSH are very accessible. The rules are simplicity itself, but that goes for all of the GIPF series I think. I usually have a problem "seeing" what's happening and could happen when I play an abstract game but these 2 are not overwhelming in that way. And finally, I think there's an element of fun in them, even though I am terrible at them!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Burke Glover
United States
Unspecified
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
I agree with Sodak... Dvonn and Yinsh are the easiest to pick up and enjoy. Gipf, Zertz, and Punct all require a bit more practice and are less intuitive. Tamsk, though it is beloved by me, may not be a good choice for the first game because it is so odd.

nuclear

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Hinsz
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Mary; DVONN and YINSH are very accessible. I'd also add that GIPF can be very good if you play by the tournament rules (otherwise it feels very simple and uninteresting). Don't be put off by the fact that it's labelled "tournament" it's still very basic and easy to learn, there's just an added layer of strategy that elevates the game from being of passing interest to being engrossing.

I love ZERTZ, but I'd hold off on that one for starters, you'll find it requires a very different midset, and if you're not playing against another beginner you'll get creamed.

TAMSK is fun, but it doesn't give you an accurate feel for what to expect from the rest of the GIPF games.

I've played a number of PUNCT games, and it's a great game, but not a good starting place. It often takes a bit of time to really get the hang of it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Herbst
United States
Sayville
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My first game in the series was Zertz. After playing all of the others, it's still my favorite.

Bill

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michel Condoroussis
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

I own 5 of the 6, Tamsk seems to elude me all the time. My favorites are Gipf and Yinsh, depending who I play. With some friends I prefer Yinsh and Gipf with others. The only one I don't love is Punct. It's a good game, I just have not played a lot of really good games of it. I guess it is still new and we are still learning the game.
I find Tamsk is great but only played 4 times at a games convention and Zertz is the easiest to learn.
Soon I will have a complete set.
My recommendation, start at the beginning, see what started the series, get Gipf, it's awesome.

Pezpimp

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lyman Hurd
United States
Cupertino
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To start out I would recommend Yinsh. Dvonn's not a bad choice but it can be less accessible (IMHO). Zertz is my favorite but it does have a sever learning curve and needs a particular personality. If you delight in "mate in N" problems it is the game for you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tamsk- easiest to play, as the time element forces players to play versus ponder. But may lack "legs" for those who like abstracts, but it has worked very well for me with "nebies" to these kind of games, as well as the younger crowd, mainly due to it's speedy play.

Dvonn or Yinsh next for sure. Either one is fine. (I adore Dvonn honestly, but Yinsh has it's charm too!)

Zertz- this is the one I bought first, still think it's great.

Gipf- may be a bit dry for some, I think it is brilliant, but have had problems getting my gaming buddies to play this one.

Punct- more to this than the others right out of the box. Might be the best one, but I have not played it enough to say. Definitely would not choose this as a starter game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Fuller
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Punct was my starting game and now that I have played them all it is still my favorite, Yinsh is a clost second though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Farrell
Australia
Rozelle
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Averagely Inadequate
badge
Buster Keaton from 'Go West'
mbmbmbmbmb
I think TAMSK is the most accessible, but it is not representative of the series. I haven't played ZERTZ or PUNCT. Of the others, GIPF makes the most sense to me, but YINSH and DVONN are not at all difficult to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bridget Jankowski
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My husband and I recently tossed a mental coin between DVONN and YINSH as our first gipf-project game. We bought YINSH, and have not been disappointed. Very accessible, very fun, and we'll certainly be buying others.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. B @ Rockin' B
United States
Batavia
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I went with Dvonn first. Even got my non-gaming wife to play it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Roney
United States
Ladera Ranch
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cln777 wrote:
I went with Dvonn first. Even got my non-gaming wife to play it.

My non-gaming wife was also willing to play DVONN, and will even play it again, I think. She probably will play it until I finally see the light and figure it out. We also played TAMSK with some success. We actually plaed it so fast once that we only turned over the timers at the beginning and almost finished before they ran out. (her idea).
I have also played ZERTZ, a couple of years ago. I played a couple of times with my adult daughter, but haven't had anyone to play with since (although I suppose I could try my wife with that one as well). Until right after Christmas, I didn't have any of the others, but I have them all now. Have not played YINSH or PUNCT or GIPF yet, just looked at them.
I am having some people over in a couple of weeks to try to play them all with gamers (which may prevent me from playing with the wife after that).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A.N. Onymous
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I demoed project GIPF a fair bit at game conventions. The game people seem to pick up fastest is definitely YINSH (or TAMSK but that game is atypical of the series). One of the advantages of YINSH for first-time players is that the complexity of the game rises steadily as the game progresses. People tend to learn a bit of strategy & tactics as they go along, even in their first game. DVONN has the disadvantage of the initial setup: if you do not know what you are doing you might just as well start with a random setup (which I usually do when demoing, by the way). People tend to like GIPF too, but I usually have to point out some simple strategies to use when explaining the game. PUNCT I find very interesting but difficult to play, because I must switch between pattern recognition (like in Go) and move analysis (like in chess) all the time. Finally ZERTZ. People usually haven't got a clue how to play it well. In my experience newbies don't even see how to gain, e.g., a white marble by sacrificing a black marble (a significant advantage) even if I tell them such a move is on and explain to them why it is a good move. So I wouldn't recommend ZERTZ as your first game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kearns
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Silence is golden.
badge
Your sea is so great and my boat is so small.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yinsh was my introduction to the series and I think it is a great starting point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Barrett
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmb
Got 4 of the 6 at Xmas time. Played them all online first (except Tamsk). Liked Yinsh the best, so bought that for my wife for Xmas (we both play Othello all the time). The clever buying of games for immediate family members only works a few times before they figure out what you're doing (like Homer Simpson buying a bowling ball for Marge), but my wife likes games a bit, so she's cool with it, as long as I don't go overboard. Yinsh went over real well, and it's quite pretty. I bought Tamsk with some birthday money, and love that game! It's a RIOT, especially when you're waiting for your opponent to move, and he just looks at you, and you're like, "why aren't you moving? Hurry up and move! My timers are running down!" and then you realize that you haven't flipped the 15 second timer yet, and he's doing it on purpose! And then lots of laughter happens. Great game! I didn't think I'd like Gipf, since GF1 keeps annihilating me. I got it from my parents, and I discovered that I'm great at beating newbies with it! Not because I played GF1, but because I can see ahead well with that game. Now nobody will play with me, and my desire to play is high. Finally, I snagged Zertz off ebay for cheaper than retail, played it a couple of times. Nice game, but I can't get my mind around it, so it's my least favorite. Haven't played Punct, and I play a Dvonn AI, and I seem to lose that one a bunch, too. NO urge to get either of those yet. Did I say Tamsk was great fun? I'm going to go now...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.