Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
BLUE MOON EXPANSION DECK: THE AQUA REVIEW by Simon T. Willems

---------------------------------------------
INDEPTH REVIEW
I love to play the Aqua every now and then. The deck doesn’t really require a whole lot of thought as you basically want to try and play everything you possibly can from turn to turn. They have so many Free and Protected cards (their values cannot be altered in any way) that high values are a snap to reach and maintain.

One might think that quickly exhausting the draw deck in such a way is unwise, but the strategy is very relevant for two reasons. One, there is an awesome Leadership card that allows you to recycle all discards into a new draw deck and two, it is very easy to get stuck with a dead hand. I can’t count the times I’ve had to retreat from a battle with the Aqua because I had no Character cards to commit. Cycling quickly through one’s draw deck will minimize the possibility of this occurring.

Basically with the Aqua, one either wins big or goes down in flames and I can respect that. The artwork is also among the best of the decks. Most of the Character cards are giant sea monsters (with humorous flavor text such as “A Khind a day keeps the doctor away”) rather than actual humanoid creatures. The atmosphere is very dark and foreboding just like I would imagine the Aqua kingdom to be.

BREAKDOWN
PROS:
- Fun to play (card chunking frenzy baby!)
- Great artwork
- Best Leadership card ever (recycle discards)

CONS:
- Can easily be stuck with a dead hand

FINAL VERDICT
BUY. The Aqua are fun to play as you basically chunk down everything you can possibly play until you can recycle everything back into a new draw deck. After a fury of cardplay, the recycling Leadership card is strangely gratifying. I rate it a 9 out of 10. The Aqua are my 2nd favorite of the 8 base decks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Ollenberger
Canada
Wetaskiwin
Alberta
flag msg tools
Basically agree with this. It is easier to be caught with no cards of a type (fire or earth) with this deck than others, but the fact that you can fly through your deck without worries makes up for this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

NT. Hong Kong
msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I tried Aqua for once only. And I found it rather... Dry.

Recycling is not a direct offensive thing for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Zamborsky
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"Ah, Denny, I've hardly seen you this episode."
mbmbmbmbmb
I love the Aqua; they're one of my new favorite decks to play. Maybe it's because I can figure 'em out, or they just "fit" with me, I don't know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Bradley
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Scotland
flag msg tools
Hmmm. I am a bit of Blue Moon newbie, long term Magic player. Aqua is one of 2 decks I don't own yet. It strikes me that the Leadership card you mention is totally broken. As I read it, I can play this when down to my last 6 cards (in hand) and get my entire deck back ready to go again??

Surely broken?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Harley
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
At first thats what the germans said too, but theyve since come round.

Now about that Pillar Mutant...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
GaryB wrote:
Hmmm. I am a bit of Blue Moon newbie, long term Magic player. Aqua is one of 2 decks I don't own yet. It strikes me that the Leadership card you mention is totally broken. As I read it, I can play this when down to my last 6 cards (in hand) and get my entire deck back ready to go again??

Surely broken?

Cards are only a means to getting Dragons, and your opponent can trigger the endgame with that advantage regardless of how many cards you have left. Water of Immortality is a useful card (and its moon cost reflects that) but it doesn't win the game for you. It's more often used in an effort to get out of a hole.

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Octavian wrote:
It's more often used in an effort to get out of a hole.

My preferred (I didn't say best, I said preferred) usage is to draw it in my opening hand (OK, bit of a problem organising that) and then play with no care for tomorrow in terms of burning all my expensive cards as fast as I can. Then when beginning to run out of the good stuff, with a discard pile chock full of good cards (maybe a dozen or so) play AWoI.

Not a good plan if you get AWoI discarded though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.