Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthew Cary
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The game started with a substantial early lead for the Allies in Europe after the Soviet Union was able to decimate Nazi armies with almost no losses. Combined with an (seemingly at the time) foolish adventure in Africa, Germany was on the defensive from the very beginning and even the Fortress Europe ability wasn't able to keep the British out of France (to be bolstered by Partisans).
By the end of the first Turn, Germany was being squeezed on both fronts with only their success in Africa to console them as the Americans speed reinforcements to the British Isles to discourage a counter-thrust.

In the Pacific however, Allied fortunes were not so great. Japanese capture of the (optimistically built) Indian industrial facility combined with the sinking of the American fleet at Hawaii left Japan in a very strong position indeed. The only bright spot was the survival of the British fleet in the Indian Ocean, reinforced by the Battleship from the Med Sea.

This was to set the tone for most of the first half of the game: Inexorable Japanese advance in Asia while the Americans rebuilt (Only occasionally harried by surviving British and American Aircraft based on a surviving British carrier). In Europe, the Soviets and British would continue to grab German territory and tried to rush re-enforcements in fast enough to hold their gains before Germany's desperate waves of troops and Artillery pushed them back to their borders.

In the end, the Allies were not able to keep up the pressure and the American Juggernaught was too little, too late in the Pacific.

The sacrifice of the German Air force and most of her Navy had been sufficient to clear the channel of Transports, cutting off troops on the continent and giving the Nazi forces time to rearm and dig in. The US Super fortress bombing of Berlin simply wasn’t slowing down German production enough. Russia's industry was soon too far away from their lines to compete with the waves of artillery-backed Nazi troops. Japanese expansion in Asia combined with losses against Germany's Fortress Europe simply bled the Red Army dry, leaving them vulnerable to a Japanese thrust from the Middle East.

Seeing Russia land rich but with no real army and no hope of surviving more than a turn or two longer against the combined forces of Germany and Japan, the Unites States launched a desperate uphill naval engagement in the sea of Japan in the hopes of seizing the moment and taking Japan out of the war. The US fleet braved waves of Submarines and Aircraft only to be ground down before their transports could hit the almost-undefended Japanese mainland.

Facing a strong Axis buildup in the Middle East, the Soviets down to a half-dozen infantry in Siberia, the American Fleet gone, and the British bottled up at home the Allies were forced to sue for Peace.

My observations:
-Even with stupidly lucky die rolls all but giving the Allies a free pass in Europe, there is just so much territory to cover and so many places for Germany to produce from that military victory is impossible without first securing Africa for the Allies and distracting Japan in Asia. You just can't get troops into Germany fast enough to stay ahead.

-A British Factory in India is a *very* big gamble (I know, I know, no news there). In this game, the gift of a 15 IPC structure to Japan, combined with the scarcity of units at home prevented Britan from consolidating gains in Europe wile dooming themselves in Asia. The British would have been better off with the Factory in Africa.

-Japan focused very heavily on the Americans in the Pacific early on. This gave alot of breathing room in asia but allowed the British fleet to survive for several turns. This turned out to be suprisinly costly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronster Zero
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great game and your moves show the very fun aspect of this game. I love tons of war games, but I do still like A&A.

My personal game moves after tons of plays (mostly while younger).

We do build and Industrial Complex in India with Britian, but also in China with the US. We put all the Brits and US units in Inda (and try to hold out) and then use the USSR far east units (some) to hold China. Next turn (hopefully), it's 5 units that can be placed in the Asia area. Not to mention territory that can be used as a plane build up bases, critical for defense.

Also, we only invade German with USSR in so much that it is a direct military vicotry. Early in the game its almost impossible to overrun Germany. They have too much money, men, and air force.

So we use the Russian units only to kill potential German build up areas and stall the attacks. Using all (available) planes in the defense of Russia.

Lastly, WE never invade German from any angles unitil all shipping lanes are cleared. Aircraft carries are expensive, but with two planes on them and in the channel they can be a major defensive and offensive threat, that is if you can affort them. We actaully make the destruction of the German Navy a priority to cut them off from africa and squelch the invastion treat to Brittian.

Great game, i'll think I will break this out for a play this weekend.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Lindström
Sweden
Lund
Skåne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jhamin wrote:

The only bright spot was the survival of the British fleet in the Indian Ocean, reinforced by the Battleship from the Med Sea.

What? How did the British Battleship in the med sea get all the way there? Or did the germans not sink it? I consider that a mistake. If you were referring to the Med sea destroyer, then I can understand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Cary
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Kazin wrote:
What? How did the British Battleship in the med sea get all the way there? Or did the germans not sink it? I consider that a mistake. If you were referring to the Med sea destroyer, then I can understand.

The German player did not sink it. A good chunk of the British fleet around the Isles survived as well. (Which is how I pulled of an early landing on the continent). The German Player was focusing heavily on land battles. I tend to agree that was a mistake (and the danger the Battleship represented once it hooked up with the rest of the surviving British fleet from Asia tends to support our opinion). But as the Allied player I wasn't about to tell him differently.

Of course, given how the game turned out I shouldn't critique too harshly. soblue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alferd Packer
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
I was the German player. I attempted to sink the British Battleship but failed. The dice weren't with me. I protected my advances in Africa at the expense of inviting an invasion of Western Europe. The reasoning being that with the Fortress Europe abilty I should be able to defend against it relatively easily. And failing that, it was close enough to my production centers that taking it back would be easier than battling for the IPCs in Africa.

This turned out to be mostly true, but more costly than anticipated. Sarificing the remnants of my fleet and Luftwaffe to prevent the landing of more troops turned out to be necessary. Forcing British production into ships as opposed to ground units bought critical time to rebuild. Russia over extended into Europe allowing me reclaim enough IPCs to hold off anything but a joint invasion; which the US couldn't afford due to battling Japan.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Lindström
Sweden
Lund
Skåne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, I have full understanding that unlucky dice would prevent you from sinking the Battleship, but for the Battleship to join the indian fleet the german med fleet would have to be destroyed (unless the Battleship took the loooong way round), and the session report tells of German success in Africa. Was that success accomplished without reinforcements from europe?..

If no reinforcements were made, an american landing in Africa is excepionally easy to pull off..

I'm not trying to attack you, I'm just curious

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alferd Packer
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
This game is now weeks ago, so I'm getting fuzzy on the details. Bear with me. Reinforcements were sent to Africa in the first turn. I sent them independently of the ships which attacked the British battleship. After these ships were destroyed, the battleship blew up my transport and set sail for India.

The US didn't land in Africa for two reasons. Firstly, the British invasion of France left it wide open to a counter invasion. The risky Industrial Complex in India left the British Isles relatively undefended in the second turn. The US sent its transports north to reinforce them and hopefully land in liberated France the next turn.

Secondly, Germany placed a U-boat off the coast of Africa to discourage Allied advances there. With my transports in the Med. destroyed, I was afraid it would take more resources to defend Africa than to retake France in the event it was invaded.

Thirdly (I know I said there were only two, I lied), Japan was having exceptional luck with the dice and focused much of America's resources and attention on himself.

You'd have to ask the Allied player for more depth. He failed to inform me of the reasons behind all of his actions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Bradley
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
It sounds to me like the Allies would have done better if the U.S. had ignored the Japanese in the Pacific and poured all their resources into attacking the Germans. The Japanese take a LONG time to make a reasonable assault on Moscow, even with a free IC in India. This is especially true if the Germans aren't doing well in Europe. It seems like the Allies could have had the Germans on the ropes and Russia pretty strong by the time the Japanese were ready to attack.
I guess that is coming from a guy who has never seen the American Navy accomplish anything in the Pacific and always throws all of America's force against Germany, so take it with a grain of salt.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alferd Packer
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
You're probably right. I'd like to think that had he done so, Japan would have started towards America's West Coast instead. But there's no way to know for sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bernardp siles
Mexico
flag msg tools
help me please, i just buy the game board, but i dont understend very well the rules, not all the rules, just when you are in combat,

some one can help me please

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.