Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Turner
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
This is how the last game of Monopoly I played went:

First off our group consisted of myself, my boss, and two other co-workers. My boss had invited us up north to his cabin for the weekend. I had been up the weekend before with him his wife and a different co-worker.

That weekend we had played a mostly uneventful game of Monopoly. We all threw in $10 and I was winning in a runaway game when a rules dispute over mortgaging properties. Incorrectly interpreting the rule, my boss sided with his wife against me. I let it go and won a few turns later.

Now the current weekend. Sitting around having a few drinks my boss suggests we throw in $20 and play a game of monopoly. Easy money I think and say sure. Everyone sits on the floor on the screened in porch I remove my shoes to increase my comfort level. So the eventfull game begins-I select the dog so I that can make it do handstands. I am winning another runaway game. I traded to get Park Place and now have hotels on it and Boardwalk. I acquire another monopoly-the game is over. But before it can end and I collect the money the same rules question from the weekend before comes up. This time my boss interprets it the other way.

Naturally I go ballistic. "You're cheating me you $#@$," was said many times and with many variations. My boss counters with the next time you roll the dice you lose on anything except snake eyes or something equally absurd. I have had enough and decide to leave. Leaving through the house, the garage and down the driveway. I get about halfway down the gravel driveway before I realize the pain in my feet is too much. But I go on. Ten more steps though and I turn back to get my shoes.

Arriving back at the door to the house I can hear their laughter inside. The indignation is too high! They will not see me again and I strike out once more. It is hell. A mile just to get out of the housing division. Then another two miles to the highway. I start thinking about how I will get home. I plan to walk to Nesh Coro which should only be a short jaunt from when I reach the highway. I will then sleep under a tree and catch a Greyhound back to Chicago the next day. No shoes and no house keys are a dissapointment but something to worry about on the morrow.

As my 4 mile walk wears on I decide that I will go to Murph's, a bar, when I reach the town. I have now taken to walking in the grass and hoping I do not step on broken glass. When I reach the highway the town is still over a mile away and I make another sensible decision. Up pops my thumb and the first car stops. The man surmises I have been in a fight with my friends but is happy to drop me off at the bar. Even asks if I have enough money.

So I arrive at Murph's and the bartender is a woman and I wonder if she'd let me go home with her. Sleeping under a tree seems less inviting now. I buy drinks for the two other bar patrons. This is a place where you get change back from a dollar. It's not like it's a lot of money. Well I think Murph quizzes me a bit when he sees me walking into his restroom without shoes. So he gets the guys I was buying drinks for to give me a ride home.

Of course when I arrive I have been locked out because one of the co-workers is sure I will kill him while he sleeps. Banging on the door he lets me in and I pass out on the couch.

Epilgoue:
As my friends draw bits of the story from me-they laugh when i say, "The worst part is that I wasn't wearing any shoes." Then my boss says, "well at least you didn't do something like hitchhike." I stay silent for a moment and say, "well..." and they laugh again; they tell me of looking too see if I am underneath overturned rowboats, why would anybody do that I wonder!, and, of an aborted car trip to search for me-thank goodness.

My feet were sore to say the least. I could not golf that day and was still limping around a bit for the next several days. I also never got the $80 but my boss did buy me breakfast. To this day I always lace up before I give the dice a shake, draw a tile, or the cards are dealt.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Necessary Evil
United States
Glen Arm
Maryland
flag msg tools
Yes, I play the Bass.
badge
Sweet Holy Moses, Fruit F*cker Prime!
mbmbmbmbmb
This is why no one should ever play monopoly.

live and learn

-M

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Gresik
United States
Bolingbrook
IL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not to hijack the intent of this thread, which is a humerous antecdote about your experience (or as in the case of the previous poster, yet another opportunity to sucker punch Monopoly) but what was the rules dispute regarding mortgaging about? I'd guess the 10% thing - but was curious.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Case
England
Epsom
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
https://www.facebook.com/amuse.ment.92
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If your Boss interpretted the mortgaging rule 'the other way' second time around, surely that means he was now reading it right? Perhaps he realised he was wrong first time around.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Turner
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
It's hard to exactly remember what the dispute over the rule was. It did have something to do with selling mortgaged properties and paying the 10%. It was a few years ago. I probably should have gotten more upset during the first game, but I thought if that's the way you want to play...house rules and all. I mean we had money in Free Parking too-that is not in the rules.

So really my dissatisfaction came with the rule being flip flopped a mere six or seven days later. My story was not really meant as a parable, but I do think I made the point that I may have over reacted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.