Ed Carter
United States
Groton
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
We've been getting requests for a Glory To Rome player mat to help organize all the different cards:

www.cambridgegames.com/uploads/GtR_Player_Mat.doc

The first version (for beginners) has role arrows and sample cards in the background to help show how everything fits together. The second version just shows the different areas to place your cards once you know how the game fits together--our plan is to print them back to back.

We've just built this and haven't playtested it yet--we'd love to hear feedback since (assuming its helpful) we'll be adding them to the game going forwards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hammock Backpacker
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Hot Coffee...Mmmmmm
badge
Go Take A HIke!
mbmbmbmbmb
Ed,

Just a couple more questions:

What material do you plan to print it on?
Will it be an add on for additional cost or will it come with the base game?
Will this change CGF's choice of "Boardgame In A Bag" packaging?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Carter
United States
Groton
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
What material do you plan to print it on?

I'm thinking paper for this one--we're planning to print it using an inkjet printer. We'll move up to professional printing at the same time as we do the rulebooks.

Quote:
Will it be an add on for additional cost or will it come with the base game?

All part of the service!

Also, I know 11x17 printers aren't all that common, so if you already have a copy of Glory To Rome and want us to send you a set of the play mats just let us know here:

www.cambridgegames.com/wst_page3.html

[Sorry, I meant to include this in the original post]

Quote:
Will this change CGF's choice of "Boardgame In A Bag" packaging?

We like "Boardgame in a Bag" for several reasons--it's cheap, distinctive, compact and gives customers a good idea of what they're getting without having to open the box. Our aim is to deliver a lot of game for our pricepoints, so it really helps to distinguish us from the '50 cards and a plastic tray' segment.

That said, our business plan is to (not) cut corners to bring games to market cheaply and then create a more professional "Mass-Market" edition once a game proves that it justifies the investment. Some (maybe all) of the games will move to boxes for their mass market editions, although we're really not in the business of selling expensive air so we'll still be looking for very compact options.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
Draper
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, I can't see any reason for the playmats, since the rules work fine, and tell you exactly what to do, well organized. I can't see why others say it is disorganized unless I have a second printing or something. The playmats work fine, but mainly for teaching the game. After it is taught, it just gets in the way, mainly because it does not stay completely flat due to being packaged in a folded way. The game is not really as deep as you may think. It has a very simple game-play. You simply have to remember 8 things, and that is all. That is only 5 more than TtR. The player card for each player gives out all the info you need for those 8 things, and each is rather easy to grasp. As with San Juan, this game has the same depthness due to the buildings and roles to take. You don't have to "pay" for things using your hand which I like better than San Juan. Anal-retentive types with have a fun time organizing all the cards, but it isn't that hard as some make it out to be. Just can't go all half-cocked when moving cards from one place to another.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Carter
United States
Groton
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Cadwe wrote:
Neither of these links go anywhere... Huh?

Wow, that's a blast from the past!

This is the player mat it's referring to (from the First Edition):

It turned out the real answer was to write the rulebook better!

Cheers,

Ed Carter
Managing Director
Cambridge Games Factory
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.