United States
Glendora
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A new episode of Boardgame Babylon has been posted. This episode is a session review of some lighter games my wife and I played with another couple, including: Reiner Knizia's Tutankhamen, Kramer and Kiesling's Evergreen, and Ticket To Ride. The first two are less popular games that may warrant a second look.

To download the show, browse on over to: www.boardgamebabylon.com or subscribe through iTunes.

Your feedback is much appreciated! Please send comments or questions to: sheylon@gmail.com

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Rozmiarek
United States
Liberty Hill
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I listened to this episode today and was wondering about your game of Tutankhamen. You mentioned that the game ends when someone reaches the end of the line of treasures or when someone gets rid of all of their coins. This is different then the original version. In the original, the game only ends when someone reaches zero on the score track. If they reach the end of the line, then they get the tie breaking treasure and sit out of the rest of the game while the others continue.

Has Out of the Box changed the end game conditions? It would seem that this change breaks the game. It changes a nice, 30 minute set collecting game into a race to get a lead and then hope to end it by racing to the end.

Can you double check the rules?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Rozmiarek
United States
Liberty Hill
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
edroz wrote:

Has Out of the Box changed the end game conditions? It would seem that this change breaks the game. It changes a nice, 30 minute set collecting game into a race to get a lead and then hope to end it by racing to the end.

Can you double check the rules?

OK, answered my own question. I found the rules online. (http://www.otb-games.com/tutankhamen/rules.html) OotB has not changed the end game conditions. The games ends when a player deposits his last coin or when all of the treasures have been taken. The game does not end if someone reaches the end of the line of treasures. Although, I thought that the math in the game pretty much guarenteed that someone would get rid of their points by the time the last treasure is taken.

Eric, I suggest you replay the game with the correct end game conditions. Granted, it's not a super heavy game, but it is a nice, light-medium weight set collection game that scales well, plays in 30 minutes and works well as a gateway or family game. It does have a slight end game problem where someone can play kingmaker.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E.R. Burgess
United States
Glendora
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ed,

Yes, I did express the rules oddly as my actual last play brought the game to an end by letting me put my last chips in. Thus, we hadn't double-checked the rules to verify the other way for the game to end - which is indeed as you describe. A friend pointed this out after the show had been out a few days so I subsequently edited the podcast to ensure the rules are expressed correctly. That said, I still found the game to be just okay. I like the movement mechanic a whole lot, though, so we'll give it another go for sure.

Thanks for the clarification!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.