Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
jeremy cobert
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
this store has/had the motherload last night. i was in the area and asked the old lady if we could stop and check out a few things. not expecting to score i walked to the back near the games and was disappointed. monoploy and risk up the walls but nothing cool. as we started to walk back to the center of the store my eyes caught the clearance table, i nearly stopped breathing, these deals never work out for me, but there it was in all its glory. i dont have a B&N card so it was only 50% off, but still too good to pass up.

the old lady put a 100$ price limit on me, i knew i should have left her at home devil

when i left they still had 4 TI3,2 doom and 1 GOT. not to mention 7 boxes of warhammer starter sets,paint sets and misc. boxes.

the lady at the counter mentioned that someone just left with about 200$ worth of warhammer stuff, so i would assume its going fast , if youre in the area move quickly!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt Rompot
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah crap.... now I wonder if I missed something at the Coralville, IA store...

I'm really just interested in Game of Thrones and probably shouldn't drive up at lunch....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy cobert
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
well if you dont get it, no need to worry. we can play it at an upcoming ia city game day. have you played it before ? im now sitting on 7 games that i want to play but havent had time to read the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Shaffer
United States
San Francisco
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played Game of Thrones. It's pretty good, though I know absolutely nothing about the storyline. My main disappointment was a lack of diplomatic options, since it was described to me as a Diplomacy variant. That might have been due to the people at the table. I'd give it another shot if you bring it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt Rompot
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I couldn't believe I didn't think to check the Cedar Rapids store since I am up there twice a week for school. I drove up this morning and snagged a copy of Twilight Imperium 3 (my kids wanted it!), Doom, Senator, and Mutiny. Game of Thrones was gone. They had one copy of TI left, one Colossal Arena, a couple Return of the Heroes, and a couple copies of Mutiny and Senator. They still had plenty of Warhammer stuff.

What was weird was that there was an open copy of Age of Mythology in the regular game section. I had previously owned and sold away a copy of the game. But I would get it again for the bits if I could find it cheap. The cards were a little mangled and the box was a little marked up. But otherwise intact. I couldn't find a customer service person and it wasn't priced, so I left it there.

Based upon BGG ratings, it looks like I will be returning Mutiny and Senator, but I somewhat expected that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt Rompot
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jeremycobert wrote:
im now sitting on 7 games that i want to play but havent had time to read the rules.

Welcome to the addiction, Jeremy. I was on a buying freeze, but something like this always comes up....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wayne McCrory
United States
Royse City
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I went to the closest B&N to my house to get TI3 but they were out. I got the last copy of War of the Ring and Citadels instead. The three you got would have been my ideal buy, but I still came away satisfied. By the way, does anyone know if borders is doing the sale too? There's one of those close by and I have tomorrow off, so I was thinking of checking it out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt Rompot
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also noticed the shrink-wrap is still on those games in the picture. What is wrong with you, Jeremy? Don't you know you are supposed to open them up and begin reading the rules while you are driving home from the store?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angus the Bull
United States
Elyria
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I went to the closest B&N to my house to get TI3

Did the same thing myself on the way to work today. Got the last copy of TI3

The only FFG games left on the clearance table are a half dozen copies of Doom.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy cobert
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
im so glad chris has played most of the games i buy. it makes my life easier

good to see some locals pick up TI3, ive heard good reviews of it but dont know if i will have the time to get around to it. hopefully one of you guys can and then get a game of it going for the rest of us.

how long did game of thrones take when you played it chris ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Shaffer
United States
San Francisco
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As I recall, it ran about 3 to 3.5 hours. We had 4 new players, including me, plus Billy teaching, last year at Fields of Honor, the wargame convention in Des Moines.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crane
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Orem, Utah B/N had Age of Mythology for $39. Blah. I never get these "deals" you speak of. Although I did see Carcassone h/g for $15 at a mall store.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.