Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
BLUE MOON EXPANSION DECK: THE PILLAR REVIEW by Simon T. Willems

---------------------------------------------
INDEPTH REVIEW
The Pillar are one of the more unique decks to get a grip on. Newcomers should definitely not play with them, however, since they are very heavy on special power text. They also force a lot of discarding and have the powerful Disclose ability which can annoy most gamers.

Disclose forces the Pillar’s opponent to permanently reveal his/her hand until those cards are used and yes they do affect hand limit. What’s worse is that they have two of these bad boy cards which can prove for battles in which a player has three or more cards disclosed the entire time. The Pillar’s real strength however comes from their Boosters. One type of Booster they can readily employ is the potion variety which renders a nice variety of very useful effects. The potions really inspire clever cardplay and they are pretty central to a good offensive. The other type is the Caterpillar Booster which is much more annoying. Caterpillars force discards against the opponent and range from a few Fire or Earth on a Character card to satisfy all the way up to both Fire and Earth on separate cards. This constant special power text and discarding can turn some off.

The artwork for the deck is pretty “meh.” One thing I will say on the other hand is that the Character names are horribly bad puns that ought never have been published. Names like “Smartius Pantius” shouldn't have ever left the drawing board. It’s actually sort of embarrassing.

BREAKDOWN
PROS:
- Lots of options for clever cardplay

CONS:
- So-so artwork
- Unforgivably bad Character names
- Special power text heavy
- Forced disclosures and discards can be annoying

FINAL VERDICT
TRY BEFORE YOU BUY. I’m a Blue Moon freak, so to speak, so I can’t really say I dislike any of the decks. Although I will say that a lot of people find the Pillar hard to work with. The disclosures and discarding are pretty irritating for most gamers. I rate it an 8 out of 10. The Pillar are my 6th favorite of the 8 base decks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Ollenberger
Canada
Wetaskiwin
Alberta
flag msg tools
The Pillar are by far my favorite deck, artwork and everything. Those who take themselves too seriously will never be truly happy!

This deck can be just devastating. My record with this deck is fairly good, I only win with the Hoax more often. I agree it is harder to learn for beginers, but this deck is made for devious play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre Philippe Goyer
Canada
Verdun Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Looking for a Publisher for a Grand Strategic all fronts WW2 card game
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

Just to let you know that even though people don't write about your articles concerning Blue Moon doesn't mean they don't read it. Keep the good work and looking forward for your opinions on the decks.
1- After a review of each deck, how about an analysis of each possible encounter??
2- And how do you compare preassembled decks to reconstitute decks?
I can't seem to win with a reconstituted Flit deck! Is it me or should I stick to preassembled decks? gulp
3- Building decks discussions?

Héhéhé...I was just writing to warm you up and...now...I am giving you work.shake

Owll

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am thinking that 6 boosters+ the Original game +Emissiaries and Inquisitors=24 Geekgold....meeple You be getting an avatar soon.

As the internet user said, keep up the good work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Glassco
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
I whole-heartedly agree that the names of the Pillar characters are awful (e.g. Smartia Pantia, Halitosus Teriblus, etc.) - but my 15-year-old daughter thinks they're hilarious.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Doum
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I hate to be a spoilsport, but there has been a general agreement that there would not be sperate strategy articles for the decks in this game. That way people would not have to go to 9 seperate forums.

The seperate listings are for the those who wish to post trades.

There mas mention that that would be implemented some day. How about it MMM?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Or just create a thread for the main entry with links directly to these articles. That way we get the benefits of classification and indexing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon W.
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Owll: You're giving me homework!? Honestly, to tell you the truth I don't like deck building. I think the game is well balanced enough and has sufficient card combinations/interactions without having to meddle with the inner workings. That's not a judgment on deck building just my opinion on how sublime Blue Moon is as a game without it.

Philip Thomas: No sooner said than done! Although I don't plan on reviewing Emissaries and Inquisitors since it's just for deck building (see above).

AllenDoum: I had seen some discussion on exactly that but my understanding was that the information was better separated for trading and rules question purposes. At least what I determined the debate’s conclusion had come to. I know when I planned on getting the expansions I couldn't gather much info on the decks beyond what came from comment lines on ratings (which still depended on having separate entries). I think if there's the entry for it and the space and organization to fill it, why not? I genuinely feel that a lot of people would like to know a little bit about each of them without having to dig through the base game entry, and there really isn’t a whole lot there either. -Although I could be wrong...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Insertcleverthing wrote:
I think if there's the entry for it and the space and organization to fill it, why not?

I definitely agree. It doesn't really matter if the article is here (The Pillar) or over in the Blue Moon entry, as long as there's a way to find it from either direction. The BGG game entries form a classification system with the obvious intention of helping humans find info.

This is why I suggested a single thread over in the Blue Moon entry that ties all these excellent satellite articles of Simon's together, so that anyone browsing that entry will come across these easily.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Doum
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In any event, no consolidation will be done for a while, according to our moderator (MMM).

But the original idea was that people wouldn't have to worry about looking in multiple forums for stragegy articles or questions, as the individual decks aren't really stand alone games. (Of course, that is true of many games with expansions that have their own listings.

The Pillar don't exist in a vacuum, after all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
AllenDoum wrote:

But the original idea was that people wouldn't have to worry about looking in multiple forums for stragegy articles or questions, as the individual decks aren't really stand alone games.

This is exactly so. These reviews are fine where they are, as someone wanting to know about a specific deck might find some use in them. However strategy and rules questions are near impossible to address without talking about all the other cards as well, and as such should remain in the forums for the base game.

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Insertcleverthing wrote:
my understanding was that the information was better separated for trading and rules question purposes

Well, for rules questions this, I think I can say, isn't the case. I check in on the main game section frequently, but don't often check in on the expansions. And, false modesty aside, it may be helpful to you (and others) if I see the question. (If anyone wonders why, see the FAQ. Or check my profile for postings here, or rather there.)

For trading ... well, not my thing, so I've no idea there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Pennington
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
If your orange juice doesn't burn on the way down, then you need more vodka!
mbmbmbmbmb
The Pillar by far have my favorite artwork of all the BM decks. I guess that it just goes to show that graphics are a matter of taste As for the names, it really shows what I like about this game...... it doesn't take itself too seriously. If you go through and read a lot of the "flavor" text on the many of the other races, those are rather silly as well. Especially the Aqua ones.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Harley
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dearlove wrote:
...don't often check in on the expansions...

Didn't seem to take long for you to find the thread here...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.