Subject: How to keep Aragorn alive? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Todd Kaplan
United States
Altadena
California
flag msg tools
I've played WotR twice, both times as the FP. I can't figure out what to do with Strider.

It seems like the best thing to do is to get him to Gondor early to get his extra die as Aragorn. Great plan, but lousy in execution: we get him to Minas Tirith, Minas Tirith falls under siege, I can't relieve the siege, Aragorn dies, the die is gone. What a waste.

Clearly, I need to be more creative... leaving him with the Fellowship seems like an option, but then if the Shadow goes after Gondor first, all three places to "advance Aragorn" will fall before he gets there.

Is giving up on Minas Tirith early an option? Perhaps send that army to relieve the coming siege of Dol Amroth and send Aragorn there? (Did I phrase that clearly?)

I'm very confused.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, in the books Aragorn doesn't reach Minas Tirith before the siege. He goes to Rohan and then takes the Paths of the Dead, defeats the Corsairs of Umbar and breaks the siege at the battle of the Pelennor, as I'm sure you know. Of course in the game you need a pariticular card for that to work really. But if Minas Tirith will fall possibly Aragorn shouldn't be there.

If you play Magic Geek Aragorn is not in danger in Minas Tirith, for two reasons. 1)Magic Geek never attacks Gondor. and 2) Strider Sprint is the best counter to Magic Geek's game, so Aragorn doesn't even existlaugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McCarthy
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you send him to Dol Amroth, he's usually safe. (If they attack Osgiliath, Gondor will be at war, so you can muster in Dol Amroth if it looks like Southrons might be coming. If they don't attack Osgiliath, you can just send him to Minas Tirith.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Kaplan
United States
Altadena
California
flag msg tools
What is Strider Sprint?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Use Strider as the Guide of the Fellowship and move the fellowship as first as is hobbitly possible towards Mordor. There are some refinements I think, but that is the basic idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave J McWeasely
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Typical in our play group is for Strider and Boromir to seperate off to Minas Tirith. MT should already have 5 units before it goes under siege, and with Guards of the Citadel, The Gray Company, and House of the Stewards there are three more excellent reinforcers in the decks!

If you haven't done this yet, I suggest trying it, its fun.

While the shadow can still beat this down with his pathetic but numerous non-elite orcs, it must be done with some care. Deadly Strife should not be used against a 5+5 FP stack under siege, lest they play something like Sudden Strike or Anduriel and score 7+ hits, then sally on your off turn and kill the Witch King. After each round of combat there has to be enough orcs to keep the WK alive in the case of a sally. In practice that means parking the A team on Minas Tirith with the B team in Osgiliath.

All this takes precious time. Though Aragorn's action die may fall in the end, it will probably have soaked 15 shadow actions, which is more than a fair trade for the die.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Daglish
United Kingdom
Cheadle
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One trick is to have Aragorn retreat to-and-fro between the adjacent protections of Pelagir and Osgiliath, perhaps waiting for Last Battle to come up. This may waste a few SA dice, and Aragorn can always abandon his men rather than die. All nearby SA-controlled strongholds would have to be garrisoned more strongly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
LONDON
flag msg tools
mbmb
aforandy wrote:
One trick is to have Aragorn retreat to-and-fro between the adjacent protections of Pelagir and Osgiliath
Or he could make his way to Rohan, threatening the Dead Men of Dunharrow. This uses only one character die.

Eowyn: Why are you doing this? The war lies to the East. You cannot leave on the eve of battle.

In our group, this line is said when Aragorn legs it from Minas Tirith. We think it fits quite well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Kaplan
United States
Altadena
California
flag msg tools
aforandy wrote:
One trick is to have Aragorn retreat to-and-fro between the adjacent protections of Pelagir and Osgiliath, perhaps waiting for Last Battle to come up. This may waste a few SA dice, and Aragorn can always abandon his men rather than die. All nearby SA-controlled strongholds would have to be garrisoned more strongly.

I'm sorry, I don't understand. If he's with an army that comes under attack, doesn't he have to enter the siege? He can't retreat by himself, can he?

Or do you mean he can "retreat" on the eve of battle, before the attack? That makes more sense. Leave MT to fall a bit quicker than it might have, but Aragorn survives.

Am I getting this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Sturrock
United Kingdom
Bradford
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
You never have to enter into a seige.
You can only retreat into a seige in a Stronghold.
Pelagir and Osgiliath are a city and a fort respectively so after a first round battle when the shadow has to roll a 6 to hit it's a good idea to retreat.

B

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Kaplan
United States
Altadena
California
flag msg tools
bruce.s wrote:
You never have to enter into a seige.
You can only retreat into a seige in a Stronghold.
Pelagir and Osgiliath are a city and a fort respectively so after a first round battle when the shadow has to roll a 6 to hit it's a good idea to retreat.

B

Sorry, my question was unclear.

Say the Shadow's in Osgiliath. You've got your forces in MT with Aragorn and a couple of Gondor troops in Pelagir.

The Shadow attacks MT and you decide to retreat your MT force into a siege.

While the rest of the MT Gondor force goes into siege, can Aragorn then go to Pelagir rather than entering the siege? I thought he couldn't.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magic. Geek
Liberia
far away
far away
flag msg tools
For me this title seems awfully strange.

If you strider sprint, you should lose, consistently.
It is really dull, and all the people in the fellowship do nothing.
Strider is some irrelevant know-it-all bad Gollum.

And Aragorn is a combat god.

The title of this should be 'How to Inflict Aragorn.'

If Aragorn dies, at least he will have tried something.
He will have generated dice.
He will have used his leadership.
He might have caused Gondor to Live merely by existing.

The only chance the Free have in this game is if all of the fellowship do something, anything. And Gondor is involved. I just dont believe the Free can win without Gondor doing something. Or maybe Rohan on the outside.

If you dont believe me look up at your opponent.
When you look at me, the cards I hold are Red, like my pieces.
On my cards are the Eye and the Hand. These are my strength.
I look at you and see the Tree and the Horse.
Gondor and Rohan.

devil

How about we play a game where I have Trumps, and you dont?

devil

Phillip, Shhhhh. You know not of what you speak.
Pelagir and Dol amroth are both fine corsair targets.
The Mouth is often summoned by the attack on pelagir.
Os Giliath is a fine place to park a 5 Stack.
Minas T is a fine place for a 10 stack with 3 Nazgul, if they are bottling 5 characters and 5 hit points.

Actually the title to this should be.
'Re: How to Get Aragorn almost Dead?'

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Kaplan
United States
Altadena
California
flag msg tools
OK, Magic Geek. When you play the FP, how do you play?

I mean, doesn't it get boring, winning all the time as Shadow?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Sturrock
United Kingdom
Bradford
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I've offered to put Magic Geek up for a game when he's over in the UK next month - but his rants are getting increasingly worrying...

Is he sane, is he safe?

And will I get beaten so quickly as to be an embarressment to my country?

Ha! His confidence will be his downfall.

B

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is only one 'l' in my name.

Anyway, I am now confused. I thought DEW North was about avoiding Gondor, where all those nasty character cards are. I suppose the final x Vps you only need on 1 turn so it isn't such an issue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Russell
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The text on Aragorn doesn't require Gondor to be in Free People's control. He can be promoted even if the shadow controls the territories.

Also you have the option of doing things like emptying Pelargir and promoting Strider there. Also, Aragorn is just as useful in Rohan or elsewhere as he is in Gondor. The important thing is that he lives, and hopefully leads a large army too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave J McWeasely
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Once more the FAQ quashes a perfectly weasely strategy:
FAQ wrote:
Q Can Strider be crowned as Aragorn, Heir to Isildur in Minas Tirith, Pelargir or Dol Amroth if the Settlements have been captured by the Shadow?

A No, Strider can only be crowned if the City/Stronghold he is in is controlled by the Free Peoples.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.