Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Craig Peterson
United States
Provo
Utah
flag msg tools
mb
Though I have played Lord of the Rings: The Confrontation often and have enjoyed it, this is the first time I tried it with a person new to gaming. He is, however, an avid Lord of the Rings fan, and I thought this may be a ticket for him into the gaming world. Normally I would choose a simpler and less "confrontational" game, but I went with a hunch here.

In order to increase the simplicity of the game, I chose not to give him the extra cards (e.g. Palantir, Shadowfax) even though I am more experienced in the game. I also gave him the forces of Sauron to play. Though the game is very well balanced, I feel like Sauron's forces are easier to play since:

1. They have, in general, abilities with wider application. That
is,they aren't silver bullet capabilities that are really only
useful against one other character.

2. They are stronger and therefore give more leeway in a risky
attack.

He was intrigued by the game both because it was Stratego-like and because it had an interesting theme.

As one would expect, my greater experience won out, and I defeated him in the end. He did, however, have some triumphs that were positive moments. I guessed the location of his Witch King incorrectly (he had moved one piece from the region I knew the Witch King was located in) and found my Merry facing his Balrog. In addition, he nailed my Gandalf with Shelob, though that meant a death of Shelob as well. Just the same, getting rid of Gandalf is a valuable move for Sauron.

The verdict for my friend was positive. Though he lost, he found the game intriguing. In my estimation, he is far more likely to try another "odd" game and is more favorably disposed towards the genre. Though Lord of the Rings: The Confrontation isn't the traditional gateway choice, it proved, in this instance, to meet the needs of one gamer in embryo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Always good to here about new Gamers!meeple

I should play this again, its been a while...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.