Duel of Ages Set 1: Worldspanner» Forums » General

Subject: The "official" * Duel of Ages at BGG.con thread rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jim Brooks
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Some are born to move the world To live their fantasies But most of us just dream about The things we'd like to be Sadder still to watch it die Than never to have known it For you, the blind who once could see The bell tolls for thee...
mbmbmbmbmb
Only nine months to BGG.con...time to plan a DOA event.

Please post here if you plan on attending BGG.con and would like to see (participate in) some kind of DOA event. Please post any ideas that you might have for the event.

I've sent a message to Brett at Venatic to see if he thinks Fallen Skies will be ready by November (crosses fingers).

Depending upon how many people are interested, I think I'd like to see some kind of "massive" game rather than a tournament. (or maybe a "massive" team tournament?)

I'd also like to hear thoughts on rules for game set-ups, house rules, etc.

The countdown begins....

* this is in no way official

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: The "official" Duel of Ages at BGG.con thread
This is to notify you of my tentative interest in participating in the aforementioned event.

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Brooks
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Some are born to move the world To live their fantasies But most of us just dream about The things we'd like to be Sadder still to watch it die Than never to have known it For you, the blind who once could see The bell tolls for thee...
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: The "official" Duel of Ages at BGG.con thread
Octavian wrote:
This is to notify you of my tentative interest in participating in the aforementioned event.

-MMM

Yahoo! This event is snowballing already.... Let's keep it goin' people!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think a massive game sounds like fun. My only concern would be to get people who have played before (otherwise I think a huge game could really bog down).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Brooks
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
I think a massive game sounds like fun. My only concern would be to get people who have played before (otherwise I think a huge game could really bog down).

Agreed. Though, we could probably organize a "training" session or two if some new people wanted to play. I guess it all depends upon how many people are interested....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Brooks
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jim.brooks10 wrote:
I've sent a message to Brett at Venatic to see if he thinks Fallen Skies will be ready by November (crosses finges).

The response that I've received regarding Fallen Skies was that it might be ready by BGG.con, but they would know more in a few months....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Tolin
United States
Beaumont
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm all for this. Sounds like a great idea!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Sweet
United States
Geneva
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If I make it, I would like to play.

Still figuring out how to go to the con with my wife's permission and time off issues.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Boykin
United States
Baton Rouge
Louisiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I plan to attend and would be interested in playing!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Brooks
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's probably a little premature to discuss the setup of the BGG.con game before we have an idea of how many people are going to play, but I am interested to hear about the game parameters that you guys typically use.

I use the "standard" set up rules with a few modifications:

1) I normally use the guardian layrinths, lith labyrinths, and team bases. I tend not to use the other keys because I like the game to be more "focused" (if that's even possible with this game).

2) I like to throw in "extra" equipment cards into each teams vault. (1 per character) Speeds up the game a little.

3) For character selection, I like to deal 2X characters for each team to pick X. Purists may not agree, but I think this adds another layer of strategy to the game by allowing people to have some say in their team's composition.

What setup parameters do you use?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
I use the set up in the Masters Addendum, pretty much to the letter. All keys are fair game as long as the required number of dome keys is met. Each player gets dealt exactly as many random characters as are being played (DoA, for me, is all about taking what you're given and making lemonade out of it).

The only thing we play differently is trading equipment. We use a variant that equipment can be traded as a Free Action if both characters start in the same space (as opposed to trading equipment using movement points).

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would never play with dealing extra characters and letting players reject some. Then you just get the same characters over and over (i.e., the best ones).

For a convention game with lots of people who don't know each other well, it seems especially clear to play with the official rules. With the only possible exception being accommodations if we have a whole lot of players (e.g., if there are 4 players per side, allow every player to bring in one character per turn, instead of only 2 characters per side per turn).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Brooks
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
I would never play with dealing extra characters and letting players reject some. Then you just get the same characters over and over (i.e., the best ones)

Well...there's something like 160 characters, so I don't find that the characters are duplicated that often. Plus, some characters are more useful depending upon the other characters that you draw (ie. Napoleon), so I don't always choose the same characters. Sometimes I choose a character because I've never drawn it in the past. I'm certainly willing to play it "strait", but I find that the "team building" aspect adds another layer of strategy to the game (and cuts-down on the "luck of the draw" issue). Plus, I typically play for 3-4 hours. There's nothing worse than getting stuck with a "bad" team (especially a slow team) for a 3-4 hour game.

I'm curious about everyone's opinion on another topic as well....

What's the most amount of players per side & characters per team that you would like to see in the game? In other words, when would it be best to form two games instead of one?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jim.brooks10 wrote:
There's nothing worse than getting stuck with a "bad" team (especially a slow team) for a 3-4 hour game.

I can't agree even a little bit. On the scale of personal horror, this is about 1 out of 10. So I have a bad set of characters. So I lose. So what? It's just a game. One with a huge luck factor, at that.

Quote:
What's the most amount of players per side & characters per team that you would like to see in the game? In other words, when would it be best to form two games instead of one?

For a one-time convention experience, I can't think of any limit. E.g., I'd be perfectly happy to play with 8 players and 16 characters on each side.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Houserule Jay
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought of a VERY cool idea that I haven't tried yet but I'm going to in my next game.

Decide how many characters will be given to each team. Add the numbers together and deal that amount face up on the table. Roll dice, highest roller picks his first team member, then the other team, etc etc.

Not only does this add a ton of strategy, you avoid lots of other pitfalls like unbalanced teams and you will still have weak characters you "have to make do with".

I put some more ideas in my review and of course there are tons on the DOA website but I can't wait to try out my idea above. Virtually no cons and one big pro. I might end up playing every second game this way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Brooks
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
I can't agree even a little bit. On the scale of personal horror, this is about 1 out of 10. So I have a bad set of characters. So I lose. So what? It's just a game. One with a huge luck factor, at that.

I guess we'll just have to chalk this one up to personal preference. If DOA was a 30-60 minute game, I'd agree with you that it's no big deal. For three to four hours, I'd at least like to tell myself that I had some control over my gaming experience.

Out of curiosity, have you ever tried 8 players/16 characters on each side? If so, how did it go? I think the most I've ever played was 4 players / 12 characters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jayjonbeach wrote:
Decide how many characters will be given to each team. Add the numbers together and deal that amount face up on the table. Roll dice, highest roller picks his first team member, then the other team, etc etc.

I've seen several drafting schemes like this one. They do have a big disadvantage: you know what characters the other side has, during the map construction and initial deployment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jim.brooks10 wrote:
For three to four hours, I'd at least like to tell myself that I had some control over my gaming experience.

This is getting awfully close to a put-down. I don't agree that playing the game by the rules is a waste of time, or gives me "no control over my gaming experience".

Quote:
Out of curiosity, have you ever tried 8 players/16 characters on each side? If so, how did it go? I think the most I've ever played was 4 players / 12 characters.

No, I've never played such a big game. I wouldn't do it routinely, but it seems to me it would be a fun way to interact with other people at a convention, meet people I don't know, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Houserule Jay
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

I've seen several drafting schemes like this one. They do have a big disadvantage: you know what characters the other side has, during the map construction and initial deployment.

Just out of curiousity and because I have never actually played the official way, just where does the extra strategy come into play from the map building anyway?

We just build a map together b4 teams are even dealt out making sure dome keys and labyrinths are not too close together so combat can't be easily avoided. We don't play with any terrian effects though and that would make a difference I suppose but how much strategy can be had anyway, one placement affects both teams other than the base?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Brooks
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
This is getting awfully close to a put-down. I don't agree that playing the game by the rules is a waste of time, or gives me "no control over my gaming experience".

I think you're taking this discussion a little too seriously or you've misunderstood my intentions. I just asked for input on house rules that people use and I described some that I use and why I like them. I was thinking that some people might have some ideas about how the game at BGG.con should be played/organized since I have never played a "large" game (more than 4 players per side). I'm not trying to speak for you or suggest that you have to agree with me. You play by the rules as written. Fine by me. Please don't take offense to my opinions. I'm not exactly sure why you would.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jayjonbeach wrote:
Just out of curiousity and because I have never actually played the official way, just where does the extra strategy come into play from the map building anyway?

Usually, one team has more characters with advantages in a particular labyrinth, than the other. The former team wants the labyrinth to be centrally located and easily accessible, while the latter team wants it to be far away.

Often, one team has strong melee characters, and wants to get an early advantage through combat. The other team wants to avoid early combat, until they can acquire items. The map layout has a big effect on this.

Sometimes the terrain can be really significant, although often it's only a secondary factor.

The exact combinations of domes can make a big difference, perhaps in smaller games. E.g., if a particular dome number occurs only in inconvenient locations, then anyone who rolls that number will be stuck there, even if they were dismissed and not banished.

There are lots of little factors. I'd go so far as to say that the game outcome is often determined, to a significant degree, by the map construction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Brooks
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jayjonbeach wrote:

If you deal out the characters to each team before you build the map, you can make some strategic decisions as to what platters, keys, etc. to use. For example, if you draw the "Sandman" character, you might want to choose platters with lots of buildings since he has a zero move cost through buildings.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Robben
United States
Spring Hill
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jim, you know I am down to play...if I make it. I have to check my schedule, etc to see if I can make the con...I desperatly want to.
And if I do, DoA will be sure to be involved!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
To bring some focus back, if it were to be a grand scale game I think the easiest thing to do would be to play with no house rules. Presumably everyone knows the basic rules, even if they don't play with them, and thus it should take the least work on getting everyone involved on the same page.

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Brooks
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kalidor wrote:
Jim, you know I am down to play...if I make it. I have to check my schedule, etc to see if I can make the con...I desperatly want to.
And if I do, DoA will be sure to be involved!!!

Excellent! I hope you can make it. I hope I can make it for that matter... I'm assuming that I can.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.