Popular Tags: [View All]
David Stephens
United States
Saint Peters
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm thinking of purchasing Oltremare but since most of my gaming is with just three, does the game work well? I've found the trading aspect in games like Traders of Genoa, Bohnanza and Settlers seem to fall short with only three players.

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott A. Reed
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I've played Oltremare twice with three, and it seems to work really well, but you are correct, the trading aspect does suffer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mary Weisbeck
United States
Black Hawk
South Dakota
flag msg tools
"Blow up the damned ship, Jean-Luc!"
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Scott. It's a good hand-management game, though, and for that reason I really like it. The trading with 3 doesn't work well, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben .
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I find the trading aspect of Oltremare pretty arbitrary anyway.

In Bohnanza, you can assess the value of cards you are giving to your opponents based on the card value AND what the opponenet already has.

In Oltremare, the information about what your opponent has is hidden, so it's very difficult to assess changing relative values of goods. As such, the value of a good in a trade is pretty much always fixed, and the trading actually requires even less of a negotiation aspect than Bohnanza.

Whilst this was a disappointing aspect of Oltremare to me, as I was hoping for a big trading element, the trading element is much less important than it is in Bohnanza, and the other Oltremare mechanics hang together really well to make a very good game.

So the upshot is that I don't think the trading in the game suffers very much in 3-player compared to 5-player as it is a comparatively small part of the game anyhow.

YMMV, of course!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hawks
United States
Apple Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We learned the game with 3, and so have never found trading with 3 players to be a problem. As was said, it's a hand management game, so you're going to want to trade -- it's not like there's more incentive to trade with more players.

That said, having recently played with 4 players for the first time, I do have to say that it does play better with 4.

Perfectly fine with 3, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Stephens
United States
Saint Peters
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the comments! On order and should arrive next week.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Marchlewitz
Canada
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree. We learned with three and it was great.
People don't mind trading in this game, unlike settlers when you don't want someone to get that wood so they can build a road before you can do it. Trading here is more anonymous in a way.You don't really know, or care, as much with regard to what your opponent is trying to accomplish, knowing that it won't hoop you that much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.