Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff Boes
United States
Saint Joseph
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No, not a troll. I'm agonizing cry over whether I should keep AoS, which got exactly one play before it headed off to the shelf (somewhat too difficult and a little too long for my crowd). I have Railroad Tycoon (well, I'm getting it as a gift next month, but it'll get played soon after). I'm not very likely to spend money on AoS expansion maps unless I found them at a bargain price. So, sell/trade AoS, or keep it against the dim hope that we'll grow out of RRT someday?

I should note that I've had tempting trade offers for AoS, along the lines of Mare Nostrum and possibly Sid Meier's Civ.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trenton
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wish I had something to offer you. AoS seems like a game I'd love, but I believe that most people I play with would feel it's too heavy. My wife and I love Railroad Tycoon, and our friends play it with us a bit too... I'm sure you'll like it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting trade offer. I've played my copy of Mare Nostrum once (and on another copy once) and played my S&M Civ twice. Both are available for trade, but I already have AoS! meeple

But to answer your question, my philosophy is that if you aren't going to play it, trade it for something that you might play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve McIlhatton
New Zealand
Palmerston North
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd avoid Sid Meier's Civ like the plague...

If you don't think you'll get to play it and you're getting RRT anyway I'd trade it away.

Personally it's one of my favourites but it certainly isn't for everyone and there is nothing worse than a game on a shelf getting no play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Sherman
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
qzhdad wrote:
But to answer your question, my philosophy is that if you aren't going to play it, trade it for something that you might play.

Agreed. A lot of people will tell you that AoS is the best game ever (or "Best. Game. EVAR!") but it's not for everyone -- get something you'll actually play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bohrer
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MurWiz wrote:
I'm agonizing cry over whether I should keep AoS, which got exactly one play before it headed off to the shelf (somewhat too difficult and a little too long for my crowd).
So, sell/trade AoS, or keep it against the dim hope that we'll grow out of RRT someday?

Heck, sell/trade it, Jeff. If AoS is not right for your crowd, there is no point in keeping it. If they like RT, don't worry about them out growing it as expansion maps are on their way!

John
Pittsburgh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Gische
United States
San Carlos
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hell, I'll say both things.

I think it's one of the best games EVAR. But if you have tried it, didn't care for it, and don't think you're likely to play it again? Send it off to a home where it will be loved. Storage space is too precious for games that aren't going to be played.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Iennaco
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
edosan wrote:
qzhdad wrote:

Agreed. A lot of people will tell you that AoS is the best game ever (or "Best. Game. EVAR!") but it's not for everyone -- get something you'll actually play.

I agree.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Boes
United States
Saint Joseph
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I appreciate all the answers I got so far, but I wasn't entirely clear in my question. Should I keep it in hopes that we'll "graduate" to it after RRT, or is it so much like RRT that I won't ever miss it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Van Biesbrouck
Canada
St Catharines
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MurWiz wrote:
I appreciate all the answers I got so far, but I wasn't entirely clear in my question. Should I keep it in hopes that we'll "graduate" to it after RRT, or is it so much like RRT that I won't ever miss it?

They are different. Note that some expansion maps for AoS are free.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Moore
United States
Webster Groves
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
They're much different games, I think. I don't know if a normal group would "graduate" from RRT to AoS or not! They have a lot of rules in common, but a much different feel, I think. AoS is much more cutthroat, while RRT is typically a lot more friendly. AoS is also much less forgiving of small error, especially in the early going. RRT, on the other hand, will still allow a newbie to occasionally win.

I say trade it. Lots of people want it. You'll make someone really happy, and probably get something in return that you'll actually play.

Whenever I'm torn about a trade, I try to imagine some poor soul sitting in their house, pining away for a game I've got on my shelf. Then I imagine them coming to my house and seeing it just sitting there, gathering dust. That would be a really sad feeling. Almost makes me want to cry... games without loving homes... worse than puppy mills, really...

Trade it! Don't look back!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Young
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
Old Ways Are Best!
badge
Check Six!
mbmbmbmbmb
First of all, I'm a unrepentant pack-rat. Even if there was only a small chance that I'd want to play a game again, I'd hang on to it! Especially games that end up as rare as the Warfrog games soon become. Even with a "second edition" reprinting, AoS will soon be sold out and scarce again. When it winds up back in the OOP category, as it surely will, you will be able to command a lot more for it for sale or trade. If you are getting "good" offers now, think what you might be able to get later!

And especially also in the case of a game as good as AoS. The game can be rough on "first-timers" but like many superior games, it ages very well and reveals its quality with experience. The question is, of course, why persist with it if you weren't at least intrigued by your first encounter. Factors such as your taste in games, how often you play and with what group(s) will figure in your decision as to whether to try it again in future. Still, I would hang on to it just in case.

You and your group may find that you will be quite content with RRT. If its somewhat more random and less challenging nature is what you are more comfortable with in a railroading game, you may feel no need to go further. On the other hand, after mastering RRT, you may wish you still had AoS to "graduate into." I would advise you to hang on to it for a while yet either way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike clark
United States
Danville
California
flag msg tools
Quote:
somewhat too difficult and a little too long for my crowd

While I love Mare Nostrum and want to see more folks playing it, it may not be the right game for your group.

1. You need to have the Expansion. Many balance issues are fixed with the expansion.
2. It can be pretty complex for some folks.
3. Games can run pretty long for some folks. I've played many 5 hour games of Mare Nostrum.

I would say hold on to AoS.

Currently I'm in the market for a Railroad game. Trying to decide between
1.AoS
2.RRT
3.Ticket to Ride

I've never played any of them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Gray
United States
Glenwood Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Echoing Bubslug a little here. I play RRT because everyone here loves it. I'll hang on to AoS even if it isn't being played right now, if for no other reason than I HOPE it will eventually get played. My experience with Mr. Murphy is that as soon as I sell or trade AoS, someone will say, "Hey, don't you have a deeper version of RRT around? Let's try that one!"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
5 Hours? Slow Mare Nostrum players you have...3 hrs maybe with the expansion and long game variant, but 5?? Oh well.

The expansion does significantly improve Mare Nostrum.

I don't know anything about Age of Steam though, so erm, I'll just move along.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Y
United States
oakland
California
flag msg tools
mb
Five Hours
Well that's probably the upper limit of our Mare Nostrum games. There's lots of Smack-talking involved and usually every player's move is argued over (For and Against) by just about every other player hoping to gain whatever advantage available or at least minimize losses.

Added to all of that are a handful of indecisive players who must explore each option before deciding . . . "if I place my boat here then this might happen."

And then there's the food breaks, refilling wine glasses and the opening of beer bottles etc...

man all of this discription has me wanting to bust out that game!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bohrer
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PATricky wrote:
man all of this discription has me wanting to bust out that game!!!

Bust it out!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.