Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I've got an 808 and a 303 and a record collection like the ABC
mbmbmbmbmb
A luck-reducing variant based on auction Tikal and Klunker.

Setup
1. All players start with a score of 20 points.
2. Determine a starting player however you like.
3. Next to the scoreboard, lay out a number of turn order cards to the number of players. For example, in a five player game, five cards numbered 1,2,3,4, and 5 are needed (these could be the turn order cards from Klunker, or five sequential playing cards, or whatever you have to hand).
4. Into a tile bag, place the maximum number of available Carcassonne tiles cleanly divisible by the number of players. Turn up any leftover tiles, let the players examine them, then remove the leftover tiles from the game (e.g put them in the box lid). Example: if you have 100 tiles and three players, place 99 tiles in the bag, turn up the final tile so that everyone can see it, and remove the final tile from the game.

Auction
1. The starting player draws and turns up one tile per player (e.g. in a four player game, four tiles are drawn and turned up).
2. Beginning with the starting player and proceeding clockwise, each player bids points for first choice of tile, or passes. Bids may be for any number of points between 0 and the bidding player's current score. This is a standard bid-raise English auction, so each player must bid higher than the current high bid, or pass.
3. A player who passes pays his or her current bid by moving his or her scoring marker back a number number of spaces equal to the amount bid. The player then takes the highest numbered remaining turn order card.
4. When all players but one have passed, the final player takes the #1 turn order card and pays his or her bid as described above.

Player Turns
1. The player holding the #1 turn order card selects a tile from the face up lot auctioned earlier, then places the tile (and a meeple if desired) as per standard Carcassonne rules. The #1 card is then returned to its original place beside the scoreboard, and the #2 player takes his or her turn.
2. The other players then conduct their turns in the same manner as the #1 player, in order of turn cards.
3. When the final player has had his or her turn, he or she becomes the new starting player, and conducts another auction.
4. When all tiles in the bag have been placed, the game is over.

Feedback welcome!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien Browne
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I kind of get it, but not quite.

Why would you bother bidding to go first (costing you points, which are your score) when you can go last and get points anyway? By bidding, the net score for that tile goes down. You might have well have gone last and got a single point for a road tile.

Unless, of course, you have set yourself up to need one specific tile or be ruined, and that tile comes out.

I kind of see how you're getting around the "I only get random tiles" problem, but you're setting it up for "I'll take random tiles until I need a specific tile" problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I've got an 808 and a 303 and a record collection like the ABC
mbmbmbmbmb
bluebehir wrote:
Why would you bother bidding to go first (costing you points, which are your score) when you can go last and get points anyway? By bidding, the net score for that tile goes down. You might have well have gone last and got a single point for a road tile.

The value for the tile by itself goes down, true, but the value for the tile as part of a structure (versus a random tile that might pay out one point) might well go up.

bluebehir wrote:
Unless, of course, you have set yourself up to need one specific tile or be ruined, and that tile comes out.

That's a big part of it too, and hopefully all players (or at the very least, the leader and the potentially ruined player) will be interested in that tile. The idea is that different tiles have different values to different players, depending on the board situation and the players' scores.

Imagine a situation the red player needs a particular tile to complete a large city (say a city with a trade good). How much is that tile worth to the red player? How much is it worth to another player looking for a majority in that type of trade good? How much is it worth to the leader to keep the other players from scoring it? The idea is that (especially in the late game), some tiles are worth more because they increase / decrease the value of previously played tiles. The cathedral tile is an extreme example of this, or a tile that can link two farms and change the final scoring dramatically.

Remember also that completing a structure returns a meeple to your pool. Meeples, especially the mega meeple and builder, also have some value in terms of point earning potential.

bluebehir wrote:
I kind of see how you're getting around the "I only get random tiles" problem, but you're setting it up for "I'll take random tiles until I need a specific tile" problem.

In the early game it doesn't matter so much, and you'll probably spend a few turns where everyone passes and takes tiles in order. But as the game goes on, I think people will bid (for the reasons desribed above).

I understand your skepticism, because I am trying to force a lighthearted family game into something a bit more competitive that it was never indeded to be. But please give it a try and tell whether it works out for you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arttu Modig
Finland
Espoo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I own a copy of Tikal, so why I haven't considered this before? This might be the perfect variant to add more strategy and excitement. Not to mention removing all disgracefull lucky strikes. laugh

Have to try this out the next time we play. In my opinion you don't need to have a divisible number of tiles among players (as you need in Tikal). You just have to fight for the last few tiles if you need to!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just call me Erik
United States
Waldorf
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was just about to add a variant like this, but mine was more of a Ra/Modern Art system where each tile or a set of tiles go up for bid. I think yours is cleaner. I'll give it a shot some day

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The other Euro guy
United Kingdom
Macclesfield
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone ever tried this variant, or something like it?

Was going to post it myself, but felt sure that someone else would have had the idea already given the popularity of this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.