Popular Tags: MN [+] [View All]
John Peterson
United States
Normal
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can anyone recommend a good game store or two in Minneapolis? Looks like I'll be doing a business trip there the 3rd week in March.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diane Close
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have three suggestions for you for game stores. If you're renting a car, you might want to check out the Eden Prairie Barnes & Noble. B&N is having a 50% off games, and the Eden Prairie store has a particularly good selection of the "biggies" like Doom, Twilight Imperium, Etc. for half price. They might still have some stock by then:

Barnes & Noble Booksellers
Eden Prairie Mall
Eden Prairie Center
3000 Eden Prairie Center
Eden Prairie, MN 55344
952-944-5683

If you're looking for a great selection and don't mind paying full retail, then I can recommend a visit to The Source in St. Paul for a full selection of Euro games:

http://www.sourcecandg.com/

And if you're looking for more of a mix of some Euro and some hard-to-find US-style games, then I'd recommend a trip to any of the area's Games By James:

http://www.gamesbyjames.biz/
AND
http://www.gamesbyjames.com/

There are two websites because the different store groupings are owned by different corporate groups.

Enjoy Minnesota -- I do!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ludlow
United States
Saint Louis Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.mngamerguild.org/Resources/stores/

You should call ahead though. That list still shows Game Tech, and they closed shop last November.

On the westside, Dreamer's is good. They carry mainly the lighter euro games, a lot of Warhammer, minis, and a better M:TG singles selection than anyone else in the state.

On the eastside, The Source is good. Huge store with a mountain of boardgames of all types, plus comics and more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ubergeek
United States
Washougal
Washington
flag msg tools
Be Happy in your Game!
badge
I spent 100 Geek Gold and all I got was this lousy overtext message!
mbmbmbmbmb
I second The Source. It's on Larpenter Rd. past the fairgrounds. Also check out Phoenix games on the other side of town (I think it's on Lake Rd.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Olson
United States
Auburn
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
#1 is the Source for me.

Haven't been to Phoenix games yet.

I frequent a couple of the Games By James's (Burnsville Mall & Mall of America). I'd like them if they were combined into one big store . They seem to be lacking individually.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Harding
United States
Cottage Grove
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Unicorn Games in the East metro has a great selection of board games as well.

http://www.unicorngames.com/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Vantries
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Phoenix Games is probably my favorite of the area stores. They've got a lot gaming tables. It gets a little bit crowded on Friday evenings with Warhammer 40,000 players, but there's still always available gaming space. It's been a little while so I could be wrong, but I think they maybe had a slightly worse selection of boardgames than some of the other area shops.
the Source Comics and Games probably has the best selection of boardgames though be careful of the prices (often their prices will be 5 or 10 bucks more than MSRP). The Source also has a lot of gaming tables.
Unicorn Games has the nicest "feel". The owner tries to stock all of the "top 100" rated games on BGG that are still in print though he doesn't stock much else in the line of boardgames. There isn't as much table space as Phoenix or the Source but they've still got plenty. Though be warned that it is often taken up by the numerous collectable games events that they run like Star Wars minis, Axis & Allies minis, CCGs etc. It's kinda a turnoff because there's no space for us boardgamers (just take a look at their event schedule).
I can't believe people recommended Games by James. Last time I was there, they maybe had Axis & Allies, Settlers of Catan, maybe a couple other big Euros, and then a bunch of "popular" games like Clue, Simpsons Monopoly etc. I could be wrong about that, but that's what I remember.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Vantries
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Quote:
I was happy to walk in there a month ago and see that they had drastically increased their Euro selection.

I haven't been there since spring or summer, so I didn't know that. Now Phoenix definately gets my recommendation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diane Close
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Burnham wrote:
I can't believe people recommended Games by James. Last time I was there, they maybe had Axis & Allies, Settlers of Catan, maybe a couple other big Euros, and then a bunch of "popular" games like Clue, Simpsons Monopoly etc. I could be wrong about that, but that's what I remember.

That why I was sure to preface my recommendation with "...and some hard-to-find US-style games, then I'd recommend a trip to any of the area's Games By James". He just said he was visiting in March, not what types of games he was seeking. And his user profile says "I'll play just about anything" wow

GBJ has some of the party-style games that aren't carried by Target, Walmart, etc., and some of the more "specialty" monopoly/game of life/etc. stuff that the latter only carries at Christmas, if at all. Depends on what you're looking for -- my neighbor thinks they're great as she's always on the lookout for another "Pictionary/Trivial Pursuit/Apples 2 Apples" clone. If that's what you want, or you need a Quoridor/Chess/Quattro wooden bit fix, then be sure to check them out. They also carry a nice selection of Wrebbit's 3D puzzles (another weakness of mine!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.