Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert .
United States
Royal Oak
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
My question is, say you roll a "3", but there is nothing in roll 3 but a hedgehog trapped in a hole. Do you just skip your turn?

Second question, is it possible to roll a 4 for example, then move your hog OUT of that row, and then move someone else forward into a hole?

Third question, i'm going to assume there can be stacked hogs on the holes, right?

I'm going to assume i'm right on all accounts, but i'd like someone to clarify for me if possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
Canada
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes to all three.

Have you tried the Doping variant? It's quite good.

And the Turbo Dice variant actually slows the game down. I don't recommend it.

Have fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
Canada
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, on the first question:

You don't really "skip your turn." You still get the sideways move. You can move a hedgehog into row 3, then move him forward. Or you can move some other 'hog sideways, and no one moves forward.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Weiner
United States
Northampton
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kobra1 wrote:
My question is, say you roll a "3", but there is nothing in roll 3 but a hedgehog trapped in a hole. Do you just skip your turn?

In the normal game, you would still have the sidestep option for one of your hedgehogs, but you wouldn't move any hedgehog forward. There's a variation that has you move all free hedgehogs forward one space instead - We usually play with this variant, actually.

Kobra1 wrote:
Second question, is it possible to roll a 4 for example, then move your hog OUT of that row, and then move someone else forward into a hole?

The short answer is yes. However, it's not required that you don't have a hedgehog in a row to move your opponent forward. You can move any free hedgehog forward in the row of the die rolled.

Kobra1 wrote:
Third question, i'm going to assume there can be stacked hogs on the holes, right?

In the normal game, yes. However, there's another variant that states that each hole is only one hedgehog deep. In this variant, other hedgehogs can move through a black space as if it were a normal space, provided another hedgehog is already in the hole.

My recommendation would be to check out the variants here: http://files.boardgamegeek.com/viewfile.php3?fileid=9493. Find some variants that interest you and intersperse them in your games to spice it up. Hedgehogs is one of the few games that I wouldn't worry too much about a strict interpretation of the rules... With 40 variants, you're bound to be playing by one of the rulesets, anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert .
United States
Royal Oak
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Thanks for the tips.

I'm finding this to be a tremendous little game! The wealth of variants I'm exploring is amazing, but the base game itself is fun fun fun, and filled with cool moments and some tension.

Why the hell hasn't this game been reprinted? Its a gem!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Kobra1 wrote:

If you are not playing with any of the variants that state otherwise, and you don't move one of your own hedgehogs sideways into row 3, then yes, you skip your turn.

Quote:

Absolutely, and this is a critical and significant part of the game's delight.

Quote:

This depends on which set of variants you are playing with, however in general, yes, the pits are bottomless.

A combination of variants we particularly like: doping plus tube plus pushing (in the direction of the moving player, only tops of columns move, hedgehogs can't be pushed into the end zones) plus criss-cross plus trampolines (Super Turbo Hedgehogs). Excellently nasty.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert .
United States
Royal Oak
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
I noticed my board has two sides, a 5 dice and 6 dice.. Any significance? I cannot find anything in the instructions about it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Werner Bär
Germany
Karlsruhe
Baden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kobra1 wrote:

IIRC if there is no other hedgehog in this row, the one in the hole can move.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Werner Bär
Germany
Karlsruhe
Baden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kobra1 wrote:
I noticed my board has two sides, a 5 dice and 6 dice.. Any significance? I cannot find anything in the instructions about it.

The 6 row board is the regular one. The 5 row board is a variant.
In short, in this variant, you can use a 6 as a wild roll, but you may not move the same hedgehow sidewards and forwards on the roll of a 6.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Werbaer wrote:
Kobra1 wrote:

Not by the standard rules. Perhaps by one of the zillion variants, but by default, such a roll would mean nobody moves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
Canada
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Werbaer wrote:
Kobra1 wrote:

If there is no hedgehog in the rows behind the hedgehog in the hole (i.e., he is in last place or tied for last place) he may move out of the hole.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.