Subject: Suggestions for 4 or 3, one veteran and some smart newbies? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Howe
United States
Cromwell
Connecticut
flag msg tools
I might be getting a small group together, me and three very smart folks who are new to eurogaming. I am somewhat experienced in eurogames (Carc, T&E, Manhatten, Shadow of the Emperor, etc.) and very experienced in wargames and abstracts. I'd like a eurogame or light wargame learnable and playable in an evening of 3-4 hours. Shorter gaming time is okay too, so that we could play twice in an evening, but I don't want a game that is too light or too luck-driven. Also, no card games, although board games with cards as an element would be fine. I would be very desirable if the game was playable by 3 if someone can't make it, but it does not have to be playable by 2. I own copies of Carcassonne, T&E, Attika, Tikal, Alhambra, and Shadow of the Emperor. Can you suggest other good choices? Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Knauer
United States
Heathrow
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Caylus & Goa would work well with three but copies are not easy to find.

How about Railroad Tycoon?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nicholson
Canada
Brantford
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Suggestions for 4 or 3, one veteran and some smart newbi
One game that fits your length and light wargamey background is Friedrich. It's (kind of) three on one, and the one needs to be good at these types of light wargames to be able to do well. If the three work together, they can really give the experienced one a challenge.

(Shameless Plug On)

I did a video about Friedrich on Board Games with Scott, which you can see (and share with them ahead of time) at
http://boardgameswithscott.blogspot.com/2006/01/bgws-003-fri...

(Shameless Plug Off)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mmm...Torres, Java, Tikal? Should be time for two games unless people have analysis paralysis...Torres is probably easiest to get.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Christopher
United States
Salem
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
In the wonderful game, Bonaparte at Marengo, this is how to get nasty Frenchies out of a village.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll second the recommendation for Friedrich. Slim, euro-style rules (6 pages, IIRC), but still a tense wargame. Can one or more of the allies win before cruel fate removes them from the war?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
China/Web of Power or Ticket to Ride? Both use cards, but I wouldn't consider either a card game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim K.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
St. Petersburg is my general pick. Vinci is my light wargame pick. And is Settlers of Catan not a possibility?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Frantz
United States
Wenatchee
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Freidrich will almost certainly go over your alloted time, so be aware.

I would suggest staying with games that you already own and are familiar with....nothing turns off people more than someone stumbling through the rules explanation. If you go with something new, make sure you read rules multiple times and even play a couple of rounds before teaching.

If you want something new, I'm going to suggest the tried and true Puerto Rico. It's a great game when everyone is starting at the same level...the issues it has only arise when people of varying experience mix.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb

Antike. Seems to fit every requirement. meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Lee
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would like to suggest Tigris & Eupharates. This is the 1st game I though of when I saw your thread title.

When I first played it, it was a little hard to wrap my head around it but the game really clicked in my mind halfway in. And at that time, I was still relatively new to euro-games. If your friends are fairly smart, they shouldn't have a problem at all.

It's a challenging game that plays well with 3-4, and really doesn't take that very long, and it offers alot of challenges within that timeframe.

I definately recommend this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Wong
Singapore
Singapore
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You might want to try out Torres. It is somewhat similar to Tikal in terms of having a set number of points to carry out a series of actions. Game play is rather stimulating and if you had liked Tikal, then Torres would be something worth trying out as well.

Have you tried the other games in the Alea series like Puerto Rico and Prince of Florence? They don't take too long to learn and are both playable in a couple of hours.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I've got an 808 and a 303 and a record collection like the ABC
mbmbmbmbmb
Princes of Florence, Tikal (auction version), China, Samurai.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim C
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
My first suggestion is Conquest of Empires. a great 2 to 6 person war board game that is easy to learn and uses strategy as much as luck. Takes 3 to 4 hours.

I also really enjoy Risk. Readily available,great for 3-6 players.

Citadels is one I just tried this weekend. Great card game for 3 to 7 people. Takes some thought. Can be pllayed in 45 minutes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.