Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Thrower
United Kingdom
Bath
Somerset
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Simple question - does anyone think that there's much mileage in having an age rating included amongst the game data? There seem to have been a few geeklists recently about games to play with kids, or to introduce the very young to gaming. An age rating might help people pick out suitable candidates.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Harmer-Barnes
United Kingdom
Rainham
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I think this sounds like a good move...although I quite like the idea of playing Hentacle with my four year old cousin.

Would it be what was written on the box lid, or a recommendation from various BGGs?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Mahaffey
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
GAME ARTIST
badge
GAME ARTIST
mbmbmbmbmb
To my mind, age ratings are almost useless. You know your kid, what are they cpable of? What do they enjoy? What do they read? I know I was playing AH's CIVILIZATION before I was ten. But I know I'm a geek. You should be able to tell what they would be interested in and could handle complexity-wise... cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tootsie Roll
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
I came. I saw.
badge
I lost miserably.
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think it would be that useful. I have run into many kids who play games that are rated 6 or more years older on the box rating. Kids vary in reading, critical thinking, and interests levels so much that age ratings would simply be a guess as to when they can start. Exposure to games also plays a role in what games a child is ready for just as it does with adults. For us, our five year hold caught on to Shadows over Camelot in a couple of plays, played Settlers of Catan over a year ago, and currently chooses chess as his favorite. Other kids I have known who are 6 or 7 are not ready for these games. I have seen recommendations for starting these games as early as 4 or five to as late as 12 (what is recommended on the box of Settlers and Shadows). An age recommendation would not be very helpful based on many of these variables.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don't Panic!
United Kingdom
Sevenoaks
Kent
flag msg tools
STAG Gamers - The friendliest group in Kent
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It wouldn't hurt to put the recommendation from the box into the game details page - this at least gives an indicator. I am really tempted by Mall Of Horror for many reasons, but as my main gaming buddies are 12, 10, and 8 and the game says 14 (I think) I've not made the purchase despite them all coping with Runebound, and Settlers (rated 12+) with ease. But is it rated for difficulty or content?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Mahaffey
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
GAME ARTIST
badge
GAME ARTIST
mbmbmbmbmb
These kinds of age ratings on boardgames almost always deal with complexity, not content.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lyman Hurd
United States
Cupertino
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ahhh, Lake Wobegon where the women are strong, the men are good-looking and all the children are above average.

I tend to use the age ratings to avoid games that suggest a beginning age of 12 or higher. By that I mean for myself. This almost always means too many unnecessary rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.