Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sue Hemberger

Washington
Dist of Columbia
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just received a large order from a German internet retailer and I'm missing one game (which cost a little over 15 euros and which I can live without). I paid via Paypal. My guess is that the postage costs for mailing the single game (which won't weigh much but comes in a relatively tall box -- e.g. 4-6") may rival the cost of the game. Is it reasonable/viable just to ask for the money back and forego the game? Is that a transaction Paypal can handle (I've never received money from them -- just sent it)? I'd prefer not to just take a store credit because I'm not sure I'll use this retailer again.

And how do I ask for a refund via Paypal (or whatever I should ask for) in German? Previous emails (in English) to this retailer asking whether I could add games to the not-yet-sent order have gone unanswered and I'm wondering whether language is part of the issue.

Thanks in advance for any help/advice you have to offer!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gwen
Belgium
oost-vlaanderen
flag msg tools
badge
mb
In case it's just a language problem, you can pm me what you want to write in English, I'll translate it into German.

Gwen

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
I do business via paypal. It is extremely easy for a merchant to refund part or all of an order as long as it is within some time limit - the limit may be 60 days, or maybe I'm thinking of the limit with my credit card refunds, I can't remember at the moment. In any case, if it is too late for them to refund, they could always just send the money back to you as a new paypal transaction (payment from them to you, instead of a partial refund of the old payment from you to them). The refund is just easier for their own records, and would mean that if you paid by credit card through paypal, the money would go back onto your card instead of into your paypal account.

I think it would be very nice of you to offer the merchant a choice - ship the missintg game, or refund the money. I'm sure they'd rather refund the money, since as you point out, they probably don't want to pay a 2nd round of shipping just for one game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sue,

You're missing the obvious answer. Order enough more games from them to make it worth the shipping. laugh

That's what I would do (and why my basement looks like it does....) blush

That being said, I think giving them the option is perfect. The only problem may be that I am not sure that you can accept Paypal funds from a foreign source with a private Paypal without "upgrading" to a preferred (professional? something like that) account. Before you make the offer, I'd confirm that.

Another option might be to sell the credit here on BGG and accept a domestic Paypal from a bank account for no charge.

Happy Gaming with what arrived!

Scott

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sue Hemberger

Washington
Dist of Columbia
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, Scott, I'm trying to resist the obvious answer, LOL! But those Nurnberg titles keep calling out to me from across the ocean.... Mercifully, many aren't in stock yet, so there's still hope for me.

I wish it were my basement -- it's my bedroom, my hallway, my family room and everywhere else that's cluttered with games. Must get more storage space.

Thanks, all for advice and offers of help. I'm within 60 days of the original paypal transfer (12/20), but I'm sure my paypal status is lowly. I'll check the website again and then draft something and take you up on your generous offer, Gwen!

Sue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ákos Tasnádi
Hungary
Budapest
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Theoretically I can only send money via PayPal, but it happened I overpaid something (I've paid for an insurance, but it was sent without it), and the seller's refund via PP went to my credit card (from the USA to Hungary). So it is a possibility, I think.

Anyway, if you've paid with PayPal, and you have problem with the stuff you get, you can complain to PP, and they'll contact the seller, etc. But I think it's too late for you (within 30 days?)...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.