Subject: Comparisons to Lord of the Rings rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Giro
United States
Roseville
California
flag msg tools
I've heard it said in a few articles about this game that it plays very much like Knizia's Lord of the Rings. Is it true enough that there is no point to picking up both games?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Hinsz
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They're different enough that you should try both of them. I find that I greatly prefer LoTR to SoC, but I know there are a fair number of people that put themselves in the opposing camp.

I feel that there's more down time in SoC and that it doesn't scale as smoothly with different numbers of players. Others feel that LoTR is too linear and can be 'solved' with one 'correct' strategy.

I'd say try out SoC with someone else's copy. If that's not an option, I'd probably hold off getting SoC until you're bored with LoTR.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Iennaco
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
I think they're quite different (apart being both cooperative games, of course ).

I strongly prefer SOC to LotR, but both are quite good games (to like more one or the other is just a matter of personal tastes).
SoC is less linear (thus more different each time; i.e. greater "reply value"), always "tense" (while sometimes luck will make you win or lose LotR whatever you do) and has the really intriguing "Traitor" rule.

If you like cooperative games, I'd suggest you to buy both, they're probably the best of their genre currently available.

Have fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Bee
United States
Marin County
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I enjoy both games, but the one I come back to more often is SoC. The challenges and decisions in the game just seem more interesting to me.

Also, I've found that non-gamers and casual gamers don't warm up to LotR as easily. It might be the linear nature of the game, the repetitiveness of each location, or the highly abstract card play. Whatever it is, I've seen several people turn away from LotR, but I have yet to see someone refuse a session of SoC.

Both games are worth playing, but based on my experience, if you're going to be playing with non-gamer type people, try SoC first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah...this can of worms

I agree with what has already been said - they are alike in that they are cooperative but comparisons end there. My preference is LotR. Unlike Luca, I find LotR to be less linear and more tense than Shadows.

SOC is best played as a light social game IMO (thus its greater appeal to non-gamers), whereas LotR puts more emphasis on planning and decision making.

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ilja Preuß
Germany
Karlsruhe
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Luke the Flaming wrote:

If you like cooperative games, I'd suggest you to buy both, they're probably the best of their genre currently available.

Yes, it doesn't hurt to have them both - they are really different enough.

If you like cooperative games, I'd also advice to take a look at Arkham Horror - it's the current favorite of my gaming group.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Olson
United States
Auburn
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another good co-op game is Vanished Planet.

I have played all 4 games suggested in this thread, and must say all are fun, but radically different experiences. You can't go wrong with any of them .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.