Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave J McWeasely
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Its so obvious to the rules writer, that its not obvious at all to me, the rules reader!:

The leading player goes on spot '6' or spot '1' of the player order?:
Quote:
Phase 1: Determine Player Order
The house of this player is placed on the first position in the player order.

Quote:
Phase 3: Buying Resources
Important:
This phase is played in reverse player order. The lowest player starts.

So putting the puzzle pieces together, the "first position" on the player order track is in fact "6". Brilliant!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten D. de Jong
Netherlands
Zaandam
flag msg tools
badge
The rules reader would then also have spotted that the auction phase starts with the player owning the house in place 1.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Bee
United States
Marin County
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I found the Power Grid rulebook to be very poorly organized, and poorly written. It makes the game seem far more complicated than it really is.

Oddly enough, the same holds true for another FF game, Fearsome Floors.

I had to create a short rules summary document for both games, just to organize the information in logical and useful way.

Just my 2 cents...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten D. de Jong
Netherlands
Zaandam
flag msg tools
badge
In what specific way did you find it poorly organised and poorly written, if I might ask?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Bee
United States
Marin County
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have the rules in front of me at the moment, but here are some issues I recall off the top of my head:

- The general layout of the rules made them somewhat difficult to read. The small font coupled with page-width text (as opposed to narrow columns) make it difficult to quickly glance at the rules to find something.

- The difference and relationship between Steps and Phases is not explained clearly enough at the beginning of the rules. Part of this is due to an unfortunate translation choice. Steps should've been called Stages (as they are on BSW), which would make the concept much easier to grasp.

- The information describing what triggers a new step and the transition process between steps is spread out throughout the rulebook.

- As I recall there are a few confusing statements, like those pointed out by the original poster.

I've read my fair share of rulebooks, ranging from heavy wargame rules like Squad Leader to simple rules like 6 Nimmt! For whatever reason, I found both the Power Grid and Fearsome Floors rules to be difficult to digest, especially considering the simplicity of the game mechanics.

But maybe that's just me...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave J McWeasely
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
cymric wrote:
The rules reader would then also have spotted that the auction phase starts with the player owning the house in place 1.
I don't agree, all I see is
rulebook wrote:
The leading player statrts this phase. ... If the leading player gets the power plant, the second best player chooses the next one.

I agree that the rulebook, though cute and short, is somewhat confusing.

"Steps 1/2/3" was truly unfortunate, given that "step" is a synonym for "phase". Had I been translating I would have been inclined to with "Acts I/II/III", or perhaps "Opening/Midgame/Endgame", but I haven't played the game all the way through so I don't know how apropos that is.

I would have split Phase 5: Bureaucracy into three different short phases: Fire Plants, Obsolete Plants, Replenish Resources.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten D. de Jong
Netherlands
Zaandam
flag msg tools
badge
Well, I used the German rule book which states under Phase 1 (i.e., the first thing you do in a new normal game turn): 'Die Spielerreihenfolge wird bestimmt. Als bester Spieler gilt immer derjenige der die meisten Staedte angeschlossen hat. (Position des Holswuerfels bei der Anzahl der angeschlossenen Staedte)..." and then, under Phase 2: 'Der fuehrende Spieler (siehe Spielerreihenfolge) bestimmt ein Kraftwerk, das angeboten werden soll...". The combination of both phrases is very clear, in my opinion. If there is no corresponding phrase in the English translation, then we have another example of the Translation Devil at work again .

I agree that the presentation is not wonderful, and that the reader should have been warned near the beginning that there are three 'stages' in the game, each comprising several sets of five 'steps'. (Or whatever works in English; I like the 'acts'-suggestion.) But I disagree with the statement that the stage-changing conditions are all over. In the German edition, they are grouped close together.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave J McWeasely
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
I'll have to take your word for it, since my German is terrible. So you're saying first player goes on space #1, bids first on powerplants, and buys resources and connects cities last?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Rockwell
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MrWeasely wrote:
I'll have to take your word for it, since my German is terrible. So you're saying first player goes on space #1, bids first on powerplants, and buys resources and connects cities last?

Yes. Basically, whoever has connected the most cities (i.e. the 'Leader') gets to do everything at the worst time. The auction plants first, so that the better ones come out after they are done. They buy resources last, when prices are higher, and they connect to new cities last, after others steal their spots.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten D. de Jong
Netherlands
Zaandam
flag msg tools
badge
My apologies, I should have translated those lines. But yes, that's exactly what I'm saying.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
My biggest complaint is the idiotic naming of "Step 1/2/3". Step is an approximate synonym of "phase," but even worse, a step is usually something you do in order, while a phase is usually a time period within an event. So the game has it completely backwards! You do the phases of a turn in order, but you do not do the steps of the game, they are time periods within the game. Ugh!

As for the leader first/last issue, it is unfortunate that the wording (in the English edition) is ambiguous, but one you figure out that the intent is to "punish" the leader and give the people doing less well a chance to catch up, then it becomes pretty clear what order to do things in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc K
United States
Unspecified
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MrWeasely wrote:
Its so obvious to the rules writer, that its not obvious at all to me, the rules reader!:

The leading player goes on spot '6' or spot '1' of the player order?:

The giant light bulb next to the 1 makes me think the leading player places on the 1. Notice the 6 is next to a tiny light bulb.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.