Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paulo Leduc
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is allowed for the Sauron player to play the combat card "Retreat (sideways)" when the battle occur in a mountains region? If no, what if it's the only card left?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
ejamer wrote:
This is not official, but just my best guess:

If the Sauron player is forced to play the "Retreat Sideways" card while in the mountains, the card is discarded but the player cannot actually retreat that character. (So the card has no effect.)

This is correct.

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Leduc
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks's guys , but sadly, your answer has not helped me . Here's the case...

As Sauronsauron, I have only 2 cards left: "Retreat" and "4". A minor battle occurs in the mountains region which I don't care to lose. May I choose to play the "Retreat" in order to keep the "4" for another battle or do I have to play the "4"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darin Stephenson
United States
Holland
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
I do not run and hide... I strategically maneuver.
mbmbmbmbmb
I am not a 'rules expert', but I've always played that you may play the Retreat (and thus keep the 4) even when the retreat is impossible (due to enemy characters, mountains, etc.)

-KentuckyKid
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
paulo wrote:
Thanks's guys , but sadly, your answer has not helped me . Here's the case...

As Sauronsauron, I have only 2 cards left: "Retreat" and "4". A minor battle occurs in the mountains region which I don't care to lose. May I choose to play the "Retreat" in order to keep the "4" for another battle or do I have to play the "4"?

You can choose to play Retreat and have it not take effect due to the mountains. This can sometimes be a move to ensure a win AND preserve your 4. Consider the Urak-Hai attacking Theoden in the mountains when Light has a 1 and 2 remaining and Dark has Retreat and 4. Here, playing Retreat gives you the win and saves your 4 for a future combat.

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Are we there yet?
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
Yes, but if I play the Retreat card in the Mountains, would I still die if Noble Sacrifice is played?

Noble Sacrifice - If this card is played, both characters involved in the battle are defeated - unless the Sauron player has played his "Retreat" card, in which case neither character is defeated (but both cards are discarded).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, what would happen if you didn't get defeated? Two characters occupying the same square... not only is it the mountains but they aren't on the same side! So I would guess you do get defeated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb
United States
Seminole
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Philip Thomas wrote:
Well, what would happen if you didn't get defeated? Two characters occupying the same square... not only is it the mountains but they aren't on the same side! So I would guess you do get defeated.

I'd argue no. The rule as quoted says that if the enemy character played his retreat card, the noble sacrifice does not work. It doesn't say that the character had to actually be able to retreat. I'd say both cards are ignored and the battle is fought between the 2 characters using only their printed power number.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Tete Montoliu - Tootie's Tempo
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cannoneer wrote:
Philip Thomas wrote:

I'd argue no. The rule as quoted says that if the enemy character played his retreat card, the noble sacrifice does not work. It doesn't say that the character had to actually be able to retreat. I'd say both cards are ignored and the battle is fought between the 2 characters using only their printed power number.

I'd agree with Philip. It makes no sense at all to say you'd fight a battle with your printed power when neither card leads to such an outcome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume Gaudé
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Philip.

If your single Sauron Combat Card left in your hand is "RETREAT (sideways)" and you can't because you are in the mountains

- you MUST play that card but it will have no effect because the effect can't apply

- if the Fellowship player has played "NOBLE SACRIFICE" (and you the RETREAT card), the effect of your "RETREAT" card should apply first (Sauron) but can't apply ( because you can't retreat sideways even if you played the card), thus the NOBLE SACRIFICE take effect and both characters are defeated.
Indeed, the NOBLE SACRIFICE take effects only if the Sauron character CAN NOT retreat, because of Mountains/Nb Max/Fellowship (sideways) or Nb Mac/Fellowship (backwards) !

It's logical !
Hope that helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason K
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cannoneer wrote:
Philip Thomas wrote:

This sounds right to me.

Neither "text card" can take effect. So - a battle is fought.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.