Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Bridge
United States
Roanoke
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I just bought the game and hopefully my wife and I will play it soon. Upon my first read-through of thr rules it seems that the early fights might just be "spinning your wheels" till the game's final rounds when someone is low on cards. How crucial are the early fights in this game, so long as you can keep your opponent from getting all 3 dragons? Is it best to save your best combos till the ned of the game, or go for the 4-0 blowout? I guess I'm ultimately wondering how often a game is won 4-0, versus the more common end game conditions. Please forgive me if I said some of this wrong, since I haven't even played yet. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Doum
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't been keeping statistics, but my impression is that about half the games end with the "4th dragon".

It is also my impression that the different matchups do not play the same. That for a given matchup one deck will get smaller wins, but the other will get 4 crystals when they do win. So the game would be balance at the "campaign" level, not at the individual games.

Like I said, I have no data to back this up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre Philippe Goyer
Canada
Verdun Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Looking for a Publisher for a Grand Strategic all fronts WW2 card game
mbmbmbmbmb
We played a 20 game expedition with the preassembled decks last week.
15 rounds were won 4-0. Half before the end. And 16 games went 5 crystals to None. We did not change our deck after a round.
It seems that if you engage your best cards against the other guy's best cards to challenge his attacks and you loose...you will loose badly. If you retain those good cards and retreat, the other player runs out of cards and you loose. So its rarely a close game...

By the way, the Pillars are undefeated.

Owll

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Durandetta
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
4-dragon wins shouldn't be all that common. It happens in my games less than half of the time (at least, in my last 29 games, each of which I've recorded the match results for my strategy articles, there have been 12 4-dragon wins). Also, that number is probably inflated because I have one opponent who isn't very experienced with the game; it should probably occur less than that. In the 16 games played against my best opponent, there were only 4 4-dragon wins.

If you find yourself in a lot of situations where a player wins with 4 dragons, you might want to consider playing more conservatively to ensure your opponent doesn't get a lot of 2-dragon fight victories.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Adams
Australia
Oakleigh
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
Polynesia
mbmbmbmbmb
MrSkeletor wrote:
I'd guess it occurs in about 45% of my games.

I think you're getting confused with 0-4

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Gola
United States
Redding
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
and everything under the sun is in tune
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't kept track, and my memory is pretty poor, but I feel pretty sure that the majority of our games have gone the distance. However, the early fights are just as important as the later ones. Yes, the decks are all balanced against each other, but it's not like drawing from a deck of numbered cards where the losses on drawing low numbers will be canceled out by the wins when you draw high numbers. The two suits and the interaction between the Characters and the Boosters and Supports are what keep the game from being simplistic in this way. Sometimes a relatively weak offense with the right special power text can get you a dragon, and then sometimes a killer offense can get scuppered by just the right card (mutant, anyone?). It's like baseball: you have to push hard for every point, because you don't know when the next one is coming and you never know when the other team is going to rally.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Stude
United States
Farmington Hills
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Your results will partially mirror how aggressive a player you are, I've found. If you take risks, you might be able to eke out more 4-0 wins, but you'll probably also lose some close games you might have otherwise won.

As for the concentration of 4-0 games, generally a pretty large majority of my games end 2-0 or closer, but I'm on a crazy win streak as of late where I think four or five of the last six I've played have ended 4-0 for me.

Otherwise, like Gola said, every fight and every dragon counts. If you can get up 2-0 in the early going that's a sizable hole for an opponent to fight their way out of. Leads like that are huge in this game, especially if you didn't have to gut your deck to gain them.

Decks with cards that allow them to attract dragons by discarding cards are balanced with those in mind - you REALLY need to use them, even if it seems relatively innocuous at the time (and preferably at a point your opponent doesn't like, like endgame or just before you're going to have to retreat anyhow to cancel out the dragon they would have pulled).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miikka Rytty
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't keep statistics, but the majority of the games I have ended when the cards have run out, and even then the victory has been with one dragon or with tie-score in dragons. My only 4-0 victories have been when I played with a newbie.

I'm not an expert, but in my experience those 4-0 victories come only when the opponent don't withdraw from the fight when it is starting to go badly. Thus giving me an extra dragon and wasting powerful cards that could bring dragons in the next fight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Herbst
United States
Sayville
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I find 4-0 fairly common (probably about 1/3 of all games -- just a guess) but certainly less common than a person running through his/her deck.

The early fights, however, are definitely NOT spinning your wheels. They are quite important. A person who can build up a two dragon lead is in very strong position and might even be able to pull off a win if he/she is running out of cards first. Also it's very tough to make a strategic retreat when your down two dragons. Early dragons can thus alter your opponent's play.

Bill

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kearns
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Silence is golden.
badge
Your sea is so great and my boat is so small.
mbmbmbmbmb
4-0 wins were common when we first started playing but now rarely occur.

I'm more surprised by the relatively high number of 0-0 tiebreakers we've had.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl
Austria
Salzburg
Salzburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Depends on which rule are played. Standard deck rarely give 4:0 if played by two good players in my experience. Constructed decks however seem to end with a 4:0 in about 2/3rd of plays, again with two strong players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.