United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What do people think of the following character drafting rules:

1st, determine which player is playing which side.

2nd, players take turns picking pieces to be in the game (removing their alternates). You can pick pieces of oyur own side OR YOUR OPPONENTS. So you can deny them a certain piece by picking its alternate.

One player picks 1st, then the other 2nd and 3rd, then 4th/5th, etc.

So player 1: 1st, 4th, 5th, 8th, 9th, etc.
And player2: 2nd, 3rd, 6th, 7th, 10th, 11th, etc.

One player gets to choose light or dark, and the other gets to choose wether to be player 1 or player 2 in the above picking order.

Seems interesting to me
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McCarthy
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Clarifying...

So if you pick Light, you get the special movement and the light cards. If you choose dark, you get Fangorn, Gondor and Rohan on your side, and the dark cards.

The side with Frodo can win by getting to the other side's home base. The side without Frodo can win by killing Frodo. If the WK(alt) exists, it's owner can win that way.

Either side can win with 3 guys in the opponent's home base, or if the opponent can't move.

But what the heck happens if Frodo(alt) is in play? does Sam become the ringbearer even if he's on the opposite side? That would be quite interesting... I could see Sam attacking Frodo, and trying to tie so that both of them die, and Frodo's side loses. Ironically, he can't noble sacrifice because of Frodo's ability.

Oh yeah, and this brings up the age-old question: is Sam strength 5 when fighting against Frodo?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
Sean, I think you misinterpreted. Light only gets Light characters. Dark only gets Dark characters. When you draft (as Dark, let's say) you can either pick one of your Dark characters OR pick which side of one of the Light characters your opponent gets. So I could either choose to have variant Witch King or regular Witch King OR I could tell you which Frodo you are playing with.

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McCarthy
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup, I misread that. But you have to admit, drafting from both sides would be interesting too.

Picking your opponent's characters is a good way to get rid of the problem of one character being categorically better than its counterpart. If it turns out that some draft choices for your own team are a given, then this is a good variant for experienced players.

I would be more interested in just selecting the characters secretly, myself. This should take care of most of the superiority problems.

EDIT: The part that I misunderstood was the part where it says you can choose an opponent's piece to deny him the alternate. I took this to mean that if you have chosen Flying Nazgul, you could then pick Elrond. (In the basic game in this situation, you would have to pick Legolas to deny him to your opponent, which sucks.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Rockwell
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Essentially, you are facing decisions like:

I am dark.
I know smeagol is a lot better than pippin. So I want my opponent to have pippin. So I want to pick it. However, I also know that dark piece X is a lot better than dark piece alternate X, so I want to pick X so I dont get denied it. Which piuck is more important?

Very interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Edwards
United Kingdom
London
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
It is very interesting.

I think after a while it would however evolve a bit into an exercise of establishing and ranking just which pieces have the biggest difference in power between their different versions and going on down the line (either forcing your opponent to use the weaker version or yourself the stronger version in accordance with your pre-determined order).

Will have to give it a try though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
myopia wrote:
It is very interesting.

I think after a while it would however evolve a bit into an exercise of establishing and ranking just which pieces have the biggest difference in power between their different versions and going on down the line (either forcing your opponent to use the weaker version or yourself the stronger version in accordance with your pre-determined order).

Will have to give it a try though.

Sure, but the values are not absolute. The value of a piece is partially dependent upon the other pieces that have been drafted. Smeagol's worth changes based upon which Gandalf you have drafted.

-MMM
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McCarthy
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Octavian, would you expect Smeagol to be better or worse with the variant Gandalf? I would think he is excellent with both.

I do see your general point. I think for example that variant Sam is relatively better if Smeagol has been chosen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree he is good with both, but think he'd be better with Variant Gandalf and using a formation like the one Alex suggested in another thread. My point was that Smeagol's value is dependent on who else is drafted, and thus not absolute.

Your Sam example illustrates that even better. Likewise, I think the value of the two sides of Frodo changes drastically depending upon which Sam is in play.

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Rockwell
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I think each sam is made for his frodo.

I think the picking 2 at once thing might be less interesting than just alternating 1st 3rd 5th vs 2nd 4th 6th...

But that way would only work if one side was weaker, and needed 1st pick. I dont know if that is the case or not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
Further, this extends beyond one's own squad - the value of your units is also partially contingent on the units your opponent has drafted.

The more I think about it, the more I love the idea

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.