Dave J McWeasely
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
FAQ wrote:
Q How is the matter resolved if the Shadow player plays 'Words of Power' and the Free Peoples player plays 'Anduril' and has Aragorn and Gandalf the White in the battle?

A Since 'Words of Power' is dependent on Nazgûl presence, not Leadership, Gandalf the White's presence will not affect 'Words of Power'.

Once both card have been revealed the Shadow player must decide which Character's Leadership and abilities to negate, the result would be either:

a) If Gandalf the White's Leadership and abilities are negated, all the Nazgûl Leadership counts but 'Anduril" works for the Free Peoples.

or

b) If Aragorn's Leadership and abilities are negated, all the Nazgûl Leadership becomes useless but 'Anduril' also becomes useless. 'Anduril' cannot be used if the pre-requisite (forfeiting Strider's/Aragorn's Leadership) cannot be fulfilled due to lack of Leadership to forfeit.

The logical next question is:
If the FP instead plays Mighty Attack, must he announce which companion is making said attack before Sauron announces who's getting zapped by Words of Power? Pick one:

A: FP announces MERRY is making the attack, then SP zaps MERRY's leadership
B: SP announces MERRY's leadership is zapped, then FP announces PIPPIN will make the mighty attack.[/b]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ira Fay
United States
New Haven
CT
flag msg tools
designer
:-)
badge
Fay Games logo
mbmbmbmbmb
MrWeasely wrote:
The logical next question is:
If the FP instead plays Mighty Attack, must he announce which companion is making said attack before Sauron announces who's getting zapped by Words of Power? Pick one:

A: FP announces MERRY is making the attack, then SP zaps MERRY's leadership
B: SP announces MERRY's leadership is zapped, then FP announces PIPPIN will make the mighty attack.[/b]

Words of Power's effect resolves during the "before combat roll" phase. Mighty Attack resolves during the "before leadership reroll" phase. So, I'd say that B is correct. If you deem that both effects resolve in the same phase, then I'd say that the attacker should declare first.

Ira

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David H
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ira212 wrote:

Words of Power's effect resolves during the "before combat roll" phase. Mighty Attack resolves during the "before leadership reroll" phase. So, I'd say that B is correct. If you deem that both effects resolve in the same phase, then I'd say that the attacker should declare first.

Ira

Actually I'm not sure about that, in the rules it states that the defenders card effects go first so for resolving conflicts I think the defender would have to declare.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Chapman
United States
Powhatan
Virginia
flag msg tools
Axis & Allies Developer and Playtester; War of the Ring Editor and Playtester
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Spaceman wrote:
Actually I'm not sure about that, in the rules it states that the defenders card effects go first so for resolving conflicts I think the defender would have to declare.

This is an over-simplification in the rules that is cleared up in the FAQ. Ira's interpretation is correct.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.